Bed bath and Beyond 20% coupon change

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
We use the Bed Bath and Beyond 20% off coupon. Often the better price is elsewhere but for some items the 20% off makes it the least cost option. The fact that you can store the coupon and use it regardless of the expiration date is a big advantage. Or was. Got this in the mail the other day. Automatic loss of half the value if not used in one month. That's one way to cut down on discounts. In our case, of course, that means we'll go elsewhere, but I sure they factor that into their strategy.

Attachments

• New BBB coupon.jpg
    New BBB coupon.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 34
We use the Bed Bath and Beyond 20% off coupon. Often the better price is elsewhere but for some items the 20% off makes it the least cost option. The fact that you can store the coupon and use it regardless of the expiration date is a big advantage. Or was. Got this in the mail the other day. Automatic loss of half the value if not used in one month. That's one way to cut down on discounts. In our case, of course, that means we'll go elsewhere, but I sure they factor that into their strategy.

Interesting... my sister will wait to get a coupon if she wants something there....

I have always wondered why they would honor a coupon after an experation date... the date was there for a reason and I would not hold it against them for saying 'no' if I tried to use it after that date...

Hmmmm. We use 20% off coupons a lot too, I wonder if there is/will be a change regarding the dozen or so "expired" coupons we have. Might just go buy some towels and sheets and find out...

I didn't even realize the policy had been to honor all coupons regardless of expiration date until DD told me a couple of years ago. I don't shop there often or use coupons anywhere very often, but I now have about 15 BB&B coupons and counting that I've been hanging onto, just in case I guess if there's an emergency shortage of bedroom widgets everywhere else?

Interesting that they had expiration dates and didn't observe them; more interesting that they are now trying to ease their customers into using the coupons in short order with these new multiple expiration dates.

That's where we get the K-cups for the coffee maker. We always use the coupons.

Interesting that they had expiration dates and didn't observe them; more interesting that they are now trying to ease their customers into using the coupons in short order with these new multiple expiration dates.

Reformed (and retired) marketer here.

The program must be working well for Bed, Bath and Beyond.

The coupon gets another buyer (me) in the store. Once there, I will:
1) Buy at least the one item at a 20% discount
2) Likely buy more than one item on my since I am already there (Oh yeah, I need a new colander or AA batteries)
3) See many more items I might want since they have a racetrack layout that forces me through the entire store
4) Remember them when I need something else home-related

Ultimately, I give them a profitable blended margin across multiple visits.

The expiration date(s) gives me a sense of urgency. The practice of accepting expired coupons lets me feel like I'm 'beating' the system.

It is a relatively cheap customer acquisition tool, especially in an economy where people are looking for a bargain.

In any case, I am certain BBBY has a system/team that monitors the program, analyzes the traffic generated, tracks coupon usage (bar codes) and shows it is profitable for the company.... Otherwise they wouldn't do it.

/snip/
3) See many more items I might want since they have a racetrack layout that forces me through the entire store
/snip/

This is the thing that some marketer dreamed up that makes me not go to a store if I do not have to.... I know that it must work on the rest of the people out there or they would not do it.... but if I have a choice between a store with this layout and one without.... I choose without...

In another thread there was mention of HEB being good.... however, they have the big S where you have to wind your way through the produce in order to get to the rest of the store... (not all stores have it) if they were not so good, I would not go there... however, I usually use the other door where you just go straight in... but still have to bypass all the other junk to get back to the food...

Because of this, I have not been in a BB&B for over 3 years... and only went then because my wife took me... (I bitched enough that time that she has not gone back, or at least has not taken me when she has)....

This is an interesting development. I typically use the $5 off a 15 dollar purchase at Harmon Drugs ( same parent company) for cosmetics and other personal items, I love their "travel size" wall and always buy my small sizes there before trips. Harmon lets you use as many as you have and also lets you use expired ones. I just was there last week and used 2 of these.

Will be interesting if they change their policy too. I typically do not use coupons on time. I save them and keep them until I need to make some purchases. So I will miss the flexibility if it changes.

I received a new 20% coupon in the mail today and it only had one expiration date. Perhaps they are testing the new method or rolling it out slowly.

"That's where we get the K-cups for the coffee maker. We always use the coupons."

+1

I will not buy anything w/o a coupon in BB&B - and will just weigh the difference of the 20% vs 10% or look elsewhere - another good thing comming to an end

Menard's has a 11% off everything (no coupon required, 11% via rebate) in store sale this weekend (ends Aug 4th). They have that every so often (I think to clear out seasonal inventory). Looks like I may need to pick up a 5lb bag of peanuts that they carry :D.

Menard's has a 11% off everything (no coupon required, 11% via rebate) in store sale this weekend (ends Aug 4th). They have that every so often (I think to clear out seasonal inventory). Looks like I may need to pick up a 5lb bag of peanuts that they carry :D.

The rebate form runs for a 2nd week to Aug 11th, so don't be shocked when they announce it's been extended Sunday. I noticed they stopped all the ads last Saturday, guess they finally figured out how to keep the discounts to only 11%. They used to overlap sales with this additional 11% offer.

My Bed Bath Beyond coupon showed up in my email this am. 20% off through 9/13 on single item. Must be trying out a new strategy in certain areas.

The rebate form runs for a 2nd week to Aug 11th, so don't be shocked when they announce it's been extended Sunday. I noticed they stopped all the ads last Saturday, guess they finally figured out how to keep the discounts to only 11%. They used to overlap sales with this additional 11% offer.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I may have to go on Aug 11th too then :D.

I think their 11% sales replaced the all you can fit in a bag sales they used to have which was fun. But the 11% is probably even a better deal.

I haven't shopped there in years. We used to go there a lot. Then there was a multi-year gap in BBB coupon availability here after Hurricane Katrina so we didn't go there, because their prices are so high without a coupon. I wonder if perhaps the gap in coupon availability was a legal way to implement post-hurricane scalping while so many people were rebuilding, then refurnishing their homes.

Now we are getting the coupons again, but we don't go there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Looks like I may have to go on Aug 11th too then :D.

I think their 11% sales replaced the all you can fit in a bag sales they used to have which was fun. But the 11% is probably even a better deal.

I talked to my local Menards (in IL) about competitor discount matching. They will no longer honor any % off discounts over 11%, but will honor $ off discounts from competitors. I wanted to use the Harbor Freight 20% off coupon and was turned down. For a store that does online purchases, they still won't honor any online coupon offers from competitors.

I talked to my local Menards (in IL) about competitor discount matching. They will no longer honor any % off discounts over 11%, but will honor $ off discounts from competitors. I wanted to use the Harbor Freight 20% off coupon and was turned down. For a store that does online purchases, they still won't honor any online coupon offers from competitors.

I didn't even know that they used to honor competitor discounts. Guess I must have missed out in the past. Yes, I did go do some Menards shopping today. Spent around $170, so that's a about a future $17 rebate in the future. The biggest purchase was an office chair for my computer in the living room (about $60). Other stuff was lots of cat supplies (cat litter, cat food) and a few other things. Oh yeah, I did buy a 5 lb bag of peanuts.

I'm sure I'll find an excuse to go back there again before the 11th :D

The GF and I use restaurant coupons a lot. A few years ago you could get the lower cost meal completely free, up to a max of $18 or so. Those good deals are gone. The max discount on the lower cost meal is now usually only $10 or even less than that.

Back
Top Bottom