"National Lottery" fraud scam

Sue J

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In June I had posted in the "what did you do today" topic about my 86 year old Dad receiving a check for $3650 and a letter telling him that that he had won $145,000 in a lottery. He knew it was a scam and took it into his bank who reported it to authorities.

Some of you were interested in the details. I was at his place this week and he had saved the letter and check for me so I made a copy.

These are scans of copies I made on his printer/scanner so the quality has changed a little. I handled the original check and it looked (front and back) and felt very authentic to me. The check says it's from Nova Tube which is a real company in Indiana. Maybe someone swiped one of their checkbooks. The letter has misspellings and other oddities like "Fido" and "Capital one" in the small print at the bottom.

It gets me angry that the elderly are targeted for things like this. Luckily, he knew you don't get something for nothing.

Looking online, many folks have received checks from this scam.

Complaint Resolution Platform | Scambook Search for Nova Tube

Here are the scans, I blocked any personal info.

2mq1chw.jpg

2qd8s51.jpg

Thanks for the scans. It's a good thing your Dad recognized the scam right away.

Thanks for the link. It seems like a good resource to check on these things.

Back
Top Bottom