Thoughts on a Hypothetical Investment

Huston55

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Background: Property appraised at $120k being passed as part of an estate, half to me and half to a sibling, currently rented using professional mgt. and netting $9k/yr positive cash flow.

Hypothetical: Should I buy sibling's half ($60k) and retain as a rental; $9k/$120k = 7.5% inflation adjusted, tax deferred annual return. Or, should I sell with sibling and invest my half elsewhere?

Comments welcome.

Depending on your situation and the stability of the property as a rental I would consider buying the sibling out. The 7.5% is a good return not including any tax deductions you can get thru renting the property. Also, Depending on the state of the property, current renters, and your available time, I would also consider ditching the property management company.

Sorry for your loss.

Depends... what does your sibling want to do? have you been a landlord? good location? good rental area? is the property in good shape or is there deferred maint? would current tenant sign a multi-year lease or buy it with seller finance? how close to FI or RE are you and how is it part of your long term plan?

Personally, I would buy it from sibling and maintain as a rental, but I've been looking for ways to grow my RE holdings. :D I've been a part time landlord for a long time, so I'm biased. I also spent part of the day painting and carpeting a foyer to save a few bucks. :( YMMV

While the 7.5% return on equity is great. Did you include a vacancy factor? Also houses need periodic maintenance. Sometimes expensive things happen to houses.

Based on maintenance and periodic vacancies your real return may be less than was quoted.

Sorry for your loss.

Depends... what does your sibling want to do? have you been a landlord? good location? good rental area? is the property in good shape or is there deferred maint? would current tenant sign a multi-year lease or buy it with seller finance? how close to FI or RE are you and how is it part of your long term plan?

Personally, I would buy it from sibling and maintain as a rental, but I've been looking for ways to grow my RE holdings. :D I've been a part time landlord for a long time, so I'm biased. I also spent part of the day painting and carpeting a foyer to save a few bucks. :( YMMV

- Don't know about sibling's preferences yet.
- I have been a landlord.
- Rentals have been and are currently good in this area.
- Property is in decent shape.
- Current renter has signed 2 yr lease.
- I'm close to FIRE, and am considering that this could become a source of income during retirement.

While the 7.5% return on equity is great. Did you include a vacancy factor? Also houses need periodic maintenance. Sometimes expensive things happen to houses.

Based on maintenance and periodic vacancies your real return may be less than was quoted.

The 7.5% factors in 10% for vacancy and maintenance. This could be a little low but, it's currently rented for 2 years and all deferred maintenance was done within the last 6 mos. So, this allowance is probably good short term.

Because you apparently know this property and the local market well, that reduces the risk compared to purchasing a new-to-you rental property. The numbers look good. Two considerations:
- Does it "fit in" with your other investments? If you're already 100% real estate, maybe you'd want to diversify.
- Family relations: Would your sibling resent it if you bought him out and this proved to be a fantastic long-term investment? Conversely, would co-owning it with your sibling as an investment likely lead to squabbles down the road ("It needs a new roof!" "No, the roof can last 5 more years with a little tar." etc)

Also-the appraisal sounds like it might be low, at least when we look at this home's value as a rental. Clearing $9K per year on such a house after doing all maintenance (including reserves for roof, furnace, etc), property taxes, allowing for vacancies, and paying a professional property manager is pretty good. If the numbers really work out like that, I wouldn't be surprised if my sibling concluded the house was worth a bit more than $120K regardless of what the appraiser said.

Last edited:
Because you apparently know this property and the local market well, that reduces the risk compared to purchasing a new-to-you rental property. The numbers look good. Two considerations:
- Does it "fit in" with your other investments? If you're already 100% real estate, maybe you'd want to diversify.
- Family relations: Would your sibling resent it if you bought him out and this proved to be a fantastic long-term investment? Conversely, would co-owning it with your sibling as an investment likely lead to squabbles down the road ("It needs a new roof!" "No, the roof can last 5 more years with a little tar." etc)

Also-the appraisal sounds like it might be low, at least when we look at this home's value as a rental. Clearing $9K per year on such a house after doing all maintenance (including reserves for roof, furnace, etc), property taxes, allowing for vacancies, and paying a professional property manager is pretty good. If the numbers really work out like that, I wouldn't be surprised if my sibling concluded the house was worth a bit more than $120K regardless of what the appraiser said.

Samclem-

All good points. I think sibling is more interested in the cash than steady income, due to age and circumstances (younger and still in accumulation phase). I think this would likely be a win-win. You could very well be right about the appraised value. I got $120k from Zillow, which is just an estimate based on recent comps but, probably +/-20%.

Back
Top Bottom