Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Hi, I am... (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f26/)
-   -   Fear of the unknown? (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f26/fear-of-the-unknown-62712.html)

BradMM 08-21-2012 01:36 PM

Fear of the unknown?
 
I've already made my introductory post a while back but have not made a firm decision on when (if?) I'll pull the trigger. Problem was, DW was anxious about us not having enough money even though I was not planning on stopping work, just quitting the grind of the past 20 years and working on developing my side business I've had for the past six years. At this point, I don't really want to stop working because, if it all ended today, I'd be very unhappy with my work life. I wanted to go out doing something that *I* felt was meaningful, not just collecting a paycheck at a job I basically was totally bored with years ago. It will at least provide me with a State pension and we've stashed away a decent sum.

Anyway, DW has come around. She's in a faculty job and she could basically take the summers off if we wanted to travel. My side business is totally on my schedule so it's doable.

Now, all the stars are aligned but I'm still kinda scared because I know the grass isn't always greener on the other side. It wouldn't be until June 2013 so there's still time to vacillate! ???

Is this normal or are most people eager and ready to JUMP!?!

Midpack 08-21-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradMM (Post 1224226)
Now, all the stars are aligned but I'm still kinda scared because I know the grass isn't always greener on the other side. It wouldn't be until June 2013 so there's still time to vacillate! ???

Is this normal or are most people eager and ready to JUMP!?!

Probably the most common and normal sentiment you'll find among potential retirees, here or anywhere. At some point the urge to quit overwhelms the fear of the unknowns, usually contingent on how much $ we each consider safely FI for ourselves. When and how that happens is often different for each of us. Some classic threads just to get you up to speed...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ome-20091.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ugh-30818.html

BradMM 08-21-2012 03:31 PM

Ahhh, the first one was PERFECT and I think worthy of resurrecting!

Thanks! I'll read it often over the next six months. ;D

kumquat 08-21-2012 09:08 PM

Without knowing if you are FI, I'd think the real question is "can will your side business make enough to get you FI (and if not, what then)?".

obgyn65 08-21-2012 09:55 PM

Welcome to the forum, Brad.

BradMM 08-22-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kumquat (Post 1224340)
Without knowing if you are FI, I'd think the real question is "can will your side business make enough to get you FI (and if not, what then)?".

I think we already are FI. Like I said in my first post (on this thread), it's more for my own self-fulfillment. I don't golf or fish so I (and especially DW) need something to keep us occupied. It's a long story but my side business is a true interest of mine and I've developed a lot of contacts across the country in this industry so it's part vocation and part avocation. I hope to perhaps finally do something that I ENJOY. I'm not sure I ever want to be retired if that means sitting around waiting to die. If all of a sudden we both got interested in sailing (for example) and wanted to spend all our time sailing, that would be fine but nothing like that has happened yet. I'm envisioning long trips interspersed with my business... a nice balance but one where we control our schedule (VERY important) and I don't need to ask for permission to take off from work (>:().

BradMM 08-22-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obgyn65 (Post 1224352)
Welcome to the forum, Brad.

Thanks, obgyn65, but you can see from my Join Date that I've been around for over a year. ;)

Midpack 08-22-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradMM (Post 1224515)
I think we already are FI. Like I said in my first post (on this thread), it's more for my own self-fulfillment. I don't golf or fish so I (and especially DW) need something to keep us occupied. It's a long story but my side business is a true interest of mine and I've developed a lot of contacts across the country in this industry so it's part vocation and part avocation. I hope to perhaps finally do something that I ENJOY. I'm not sure I ever want to be retired if that means sitting around waiting to die. If all of a sudden we both got interested in sailing (for example) and wanted to spend all our time sailing, that would be fine but nothing like that has happened yet. I'm envisioning long trips interspersed with my business... a nice balance but one where we control our schedule (VERY important) and I don't need to ask for permission to take off from work (>:().

From my experience, folks who retire thinking they're going to play golf everyday, or go fishing (or sailing) every day as their plan for retirement, eventually find they're sick of what was once a great hobby/activity. In my (short) experience, what I am enjoying about retirement is having so many hobbies/activities to engage in - not one or two. YMMV


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.