Isaac-The Storm

Fingers crossed for all our friends in the path of Isaac. Bad news, very similar path as Katrina. Good news, much weaker storm. Hope those on the gulf coast and other impacted areas check in with us when they can. Also hope this turns out to be a "non-event" and brings much needed rain to areas so adversely impacted by drought.

Thanks for thinking of those of us in the cone. :)

We thought of staying, since we have stayed through Cat1 or Cat2 hurricanes before. There is so much uncertainty surrounding this one, though.

Plus, F has been wanting to go on a "road trip" all summer, and I have been saying we should wait until there is a storm. He kind of wanted to go instead of stay.

So, we drove up to Jackson and we are safe and sound here. We must be getting old, because after fighting the rush hour traffic in Jackson, we were too tired to drive much further. Tomorrow we might drive further, or not. The storm is due to make landfall maybe tomorrow night or Wednesday morning I guess, last I heard. I am sure there will be lots and lots of rain here, but perhaps not as much wind as closer to the coast.
There's a old saying; Every problem is also an opportunity. Looks like you both are living that right now. Hope you stay safe and enjoy your getaway.

W2R, where to next? How 'bout going to DC and tour the mall as you wanted to do?

If Isaac stays on course, it will pass right over my house. I expect to lose power some time Tuesday evening and probably be without it for a week or so. We should see some wind and are expecting lots of rain. I don't feel threatened where I am but tornadoes are the unknown factor in a hurricane. Also, there are little pockets of "micro bursts" and straight line winds that cause damage. I am surrounded by trees and I also expect to have my entire yard "trashed" with branches and leaves. Probably take me a week or more to get straight after the power comes back. Hopefully won't lose any trees and especially not ones that would fall on my home.
Did I mention that I "hate hurricanes"? :mad:
On the bright side, I was telling my DW that I especially appreciate only having to deal with my problems and won't have to worry about problems at the Megacorp site this time around too, if you know what I mean.:cool:
Wish me luck ya'll.....

Yes, I wish luck to everybody faced with this hazard.

Do you have a portable generator?

Hope everyone in the path stays safe and W2R, enjoy your road trip. Glad you got out of the way.!

We are ready to ride it out here in Baton Rouge. I'm on the hurricane team so I'll have to be at work right up until go time.

We are ready to ride it out here in Baton Rouge. I'm on the hurricane team so I'll have to be at work right up until go time.

I really appreciate the spirit of those who manifest courage in the face of potential disasters. I am sure your neighbors are grateful. Please do stay safe.

Hope everything will be OK in Tigerland and other parts. I am looking forward to the home opener on Saturday.

We decided to head a little further east, to get out of the cone. Meridian was all booked up, so we stopped for a while in rural Alabama. What a fascinating place for "people watching".

Better or worse than the average WalMart?

How far will you go? Is this just an escape from the storm or will you actually turn it into a vacation?

We decided to head a little further east, to get out of the cone. Meridian was all booked up, so we stopped for a while in rural Alabama. What a fascinating place for "people watching".

That's quite a claim coming from a New Orleans lady! Next to NYC, the Big Easy was the most fastinating place for people watching I've ever been to in the USA. Stay safe, have some fun, and let us know when you get back home.

W2R, thanks for the update and for checking in. Sounds like F's friend will soon be looking for a new car. Nothing worse than floods with no power.

I hope that god*amn storm gets moving and that those affected near the Gulf can soon get back to their lives.

Yeah the storm is barely crawling. So the winds while not wicked strong, 80mph that's a low end Cat 1, are constant in the area and the rain just continues to pour down. I hope it speeds up once over land and gets out of there and down grades to a tropical storm.

Every cloud has a sliver lining, especially in a time of drought.

This blog has some good information on the benefits of tropical storms.

Cliff Mass Weather Blog

Of course, if one's house and home is destroyed by the storm, that is little consolation. That is why we must stick together and help each other at times like this.

It's not raining yet in west central MS, it is more overcast now.

It appears to be tracking further west with each update. Interesting that ECMWF ( european ) model seemed to be on target early on. Really has slowed down.

Glad I now live in Missouri on a high hill. The old spot in Lake Catherine(New Orleans east) outside the levee is well under water. My Facebook friends in Slidell and north of the lake are ok.

Good luck everyone.

heh heh heh - :cool:

Back
Top Bottom