Insanity at w*rk

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Several years ago, at my Government agency, management announced that they would crack down on sick leave abuse. Seems like they did a study and determined that 40% of sick leave occurred on Mondays and Fridays. It flowed down all the management channels to the worker-bees. Then one of the worker-bees pointed out to them that since 40% of the work week is on Mondays and Fridays, there was no statistical evidence of sick leave abuse. Never heard another word about this. One of my favorite w*rk stories!

W*rk is for insane folks :LOL: ...

Yeah, been there, done that for over 40 years (so I'm not "immune" to the "condition").

Regardless of the challanges in the w*rkplace, there is light at the end of a tunnel (and it isn't another train approaching :facepalm: )...

Worked with a guy who felt guilty calling in sick because he really wasn't sick, just up all night with alergies.

So he called in a vacation day instead.

The boss fired him because company policy said you had to give three days notice for vacation time, so technically he was awol.

Part two:
Years ago we had a strict policy of 'no family members' working in the company. So when a highly valued engineer married an admin, they asked the admin when she'd be leaving.

She said that she wasn't planning on leaving, but her new husband would supposedly have to.

They changed the policy that day.

In over 35 years of working, I called in sick just a handful of times when I wasn't really sick. A few times when a pet was sick and they wouldn't understand a few times when the alarm went off at zero dark early and I thought to myself "I just can't do this today". Then there were the many times I went into work when I really was sick because I "had to". Retired with nearly 700 hours of sick leave that didn't go toward anything. :facepalm:

Retired with nearly 700 hours of sick leave that didn't go toward anything. :facepalm:

Work diligently with integrity and you will always get your reward!:mad:
thm201107111328531732423222.gif

Purron said:
In over 35 years of working, I called in sick just a handful of times when I wasn't really sick. A few times when a pet was sick and they wouldn't understand a few times when the alarm went off at zero dark early and I thought to myself "I just can't do this today". Then there were the many times I went into work when I really was sick because I "had to". Retired with nearly 700 hours of sick leave that didn't go toward anything. :facepalm:
+1
I also currently have 704 hours of sick leave.

.............I think we can assume Scott Adams works for the government.

Actually, he worked for Pac Tel (Pacific Telesis), one of the seven RBOC's created by the breakup. But monopoly-centric thought took years to decline (not that it went completely away!).

I currently have around 1400 hours SL saved. I will retire on Jan 1, 2014...when 100% can be put to my total time. 3 days after my birthday when I first become eligible. Yes...I am federal, FERS.

I have about a month of sick leave and intend on exhausting that leave before I quit my government job. Sickness is mostly subjective. I mean who's to say when a headache or exhaustion is a legitimate illness or just an excuse?

Luckily for me, we can use sick leave when anyone in the immediate family is sick, so I should be able to use the leave legitimately. Plus my FMLA leave due to DW's childbirth will allow me to take a few paid sick weeks off. To take care of the baby of course... :)

What is sick leave?

It is what you get instead of a reasonable wage, such as at many government agencies. They are always hiring if you want some sick leave and crappy pay! :D

I am done showing up deathly ill and dragging myself through for days on end. If I get sick, I am staying home and resting so I can feel better in 3 days rather than 3 weeks.

We have PTO rather than vacation and sick leave. It's all one bucket of hours.
For most of our sites (outside of CA) folks can only roll over 40 hours/year. So folks use it over Christmas - the place is a ghost town.
California law mandates that you can roll over 1.5x your annual accrument. So we're not quite as much in the use it or lose it.
Oh - and the bucket stops being filled when you hit that 1.5 times/annual amount. So even in California we have folks forced to take PTO or lose it.

No way to acquire 700+ hours. Several of my coworkers consider it a badge of honor to not take it - and therefore be dumping a paid benefit. me.... not so much. I keep about 3 weeks on the books (for an emergency) - and use the rest.

Back
Top Bottom