Scary Movies

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
OK, it's October 1st and Halloween will be upon us soon. As good a time as ever to reflect on the scariest movies ever made. I for one love a good horror movie. Huddle up on the couch with DH, hide my eyes at the really creepy parts, and hope for the best. Here are 10 that give me the shivers. I'm sure I've missed some good ones and would love to hear your favorites.

Alien
Let the Right One In
The Thing
Night of the Living Dead
The Shining
The Birds
The Exorcist
Silence of the Lambs
28 Days Later
Jeepers Creepers

Last edited:
To me nothing is scarier than the movies I watched as a kid
Frankenstein
Dracula
The Monster from the black lagoon
The Blob

Gotta add Tony Perkins in Psycho on the list.

The Haunting (1963 version)

The Haunting cost me a night's sleep when I saw it in the 60's. If you've ever felt the presence of evil in an old house, this one will get to you.

Note: this is not to be confused with the really bad 1999 remake.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (original)
The Thing (original)
Jaws
The Exorcist
The Ring
Alien

Don't talk about where HFWR lives that way--he can't help living in Stepfordville! :D

My vote is solely for The Shining. I'm scared just thinking about it! I don't care much for scary movies in general, and that one stuck with me for all time.

When we were very little, we lived in a house that had been a funeral home long before we lived there, and that nice spacious walk-in closet my mom loved had been the embalming room! Yikes!

One of the most memorable in the 'scary movie' category for me is an unheralded little film from 1983: Testament. It isn't a horror flick in the traditional sense - no monsters or special effects, but because it is so real in terms of the threat of nuclear war at the time, it was and still is very frightening on a gut level.

Here is a summary and review from movie critic Roger Ebert: Testament :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews

REW, that kinda reminds me of the setup for the most disturbing book I've read in a long time, Cormack McCarthy's "The Road". I didn't see the movie, but I imagine it is even darker than Testament. I'll try to find a copy of it.

Either John Carpenters The Thing or An Inconvenient Truth

ha

The last and only scary movie that gave me nightmares was The Exorcist in ~1974. I watched it in a drive in theater. Jacob's Ladder made a lasting impression on me as well as The Sixth Sense.

A lot of good ones have been mentioned, Alien has to be one of the best.

As a kid, first movie I remember that scared me was The Wizard of Oz. Evil witch, flying monkeys - holy crap (that was scary)

Of late I liked Quarantine

The Haunting cost me a night's sleep when I saw it in the 60's. If you've ever felt the presence of evil in an old house, this one will get to you.

Note: this is not to be confused with the really bad 1999 remake.

+1 [including the comment about the remake]

Honorable +1 to the votes for Ghost Story and Alien.

The Exorcist
The Exorcist III (George C Scott makes a great detective)
Office Space (scariest on the list)

My perspective on scary movies is a little weird, so bear with me (please?). :)

I don't like ANY of them. Life is scary enough, without intentionally trying to get even more scared at scary movies (where one ostensibly goes to enjoy an escape). I am probably the only person in the Western world who has never seeen any of the Friday the 13th movies.

I do like some of the old classics, like the original Dracula, because they do not scare me and they are interesting, beautiful, and artistic. This scene is fabulous, IMO.

Children of the Night - Dracula (4/10) Movie CLIP (1931) HD - YouTube

I don't like ANY of them. Life is scary enough, without intentionally trying to get even more scared at scary movies (where one ostensibly goes to enjoy an escape). I am probably the only person in the Western world who has never seen any of the Friday the 13th movies.
(snip)
I'm no fan of scary movies, either, and for the same reason. I don't like being frightened--why on earth would I deliberately watch movies that are intended to produce fear? I've also never seen the Friday the 13th series. I do differentiate between scary movies, which I don't like, and thrillers or action/adventure films, which I often enjoy. The latter may feature dare-devilry and hairsbreadth escapes, but there's never any real doubt that when the dust clears, the protagonist will emerge relatively unscathed, and the good guys will prevail. Indy never goes all the way over the cliff or gets bitten by the snakes, and he always manages to evade or escape from the villains, foil their nefarious plans, and bag another priceless artifact for the museum.

I'm no fan of scary movies, either, and for the same reason. I don't like being frightened--why on earth would I deliberately watch movies that are intended to produce fear? I've also never seen the Friday the 13th series. I do differentiate between scary movies, which I don't like, and thrillers or action/adventure films, which I often enjoy. The latter may feature dare-devilry and hairsbreadth escapes, but there's never any real doubt that when the dust clears, the protagonist will emerge relatively unscathed, and the good guys will prevail. Indy never goes all the way over the cliff or gets bitten by the snakes, and he always manages to evade or escape from the villains, foil their nefarious plans, and bag another priceless artifact for the museum.

+1 We are of one mind on this, and you are probably the only person I have ever "met" who thinks the same way I do about it. How cool! :greetings10:

Bambi scared the hell outta me.....but, then again, I scare easily.

I don't like ANY of them. Life is scary enough, without intentionally trying to get even more scared at scary movies (where one ostensibly goes to enjoy an escape). I am probably the only person in the Western world who has never seeen any of the Friday the 13th movies.

I do like some of the old classics, like the original Dracula, because they do not scare me and they are interesting, beautiful, and artistic. This scene is fabulous, IMO.

How about The Shining? Very scary but also artistic in many parts thanks in large part to the great story written by Stephen King and the direction of Stanley Kubrick. And that performance by Jack Nicholson!
Check out the opening credits below. Nothing scary, I promise! Just that sense of foreboding that often pulls me into a well-made horror movie:
The Shining opening credit - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom