What's your food pyramid like?

Moscyn

Full time employment: Posting here.
Before ER, the composition of my food pyramid is 40% carbohydrates, 40% meat, 10% veg/fruits/nuts and 10% sweets. My current food pyramid (after 2 years of ER) is made up of 40% veg/fruits/nuts/oats, 25% carbohydrates, 25% meat (mainly fish and chicken) and 10% sweets. After making changes to the composition and with the combination of more exercise, I managed to lose 6 lbs and have big improvements in my toilet movements (sorry for being too detail here but this is such a plus for me):dance:. I'm happy with current food pyramid composition and will keep the pyramid's composition for some years to come.

I just read a book yesterday which mentioned that "when your diet is 90% dried fruit and prunes youu know it's time either to die or switch to chicken nuggets and live a little.

So, anyone want to share the composition of their food pyramid, any changes made since ER and what benefits came from the changes.

A couple of things:

1. veg/fruits/nuts/oats and sweets are all carbohydrates (sugar). Therefore, your pyramid is actually 75% carbohydrates (sugar) and 25% meat. Now, how that "meat" breaks down into fats and protein would be important to know also.

2. a current thread that may interest you is here: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/stupid-diet-tricks-63194.html

Historically, the base of my pyramid used to be carbs, followed by fat and protein and I'm slowly trying to change that. But as to carbs, not all carbs are created equal, and the natural slow digesting ones tend to healthier and I suspect one can consume more of that variety.

A couple of things:

1. veg/fruits/nuts/oats and sweets are all carbohydrates (sugar). Therefore, your pyramid is actually 75% carbohydrates (sugar) and 25% meat. Now, how that "meat" breaks down into fats and protein would be important to know also.

2. a current thread that may interest you is here: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/stupid-diet-tricks-63194.html

Almonds, for example, are 21% carb (about half fiber), 47% fat, 20% protein, so hardly all sugar. Yes, I know that doesn't add to 100%...

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Nuts, almonds [Includes USDA commodity food A256, A264]

Being that I'm a T2 diabetic, I tend to minimize the carbs.

For me? +90%+ bacon, with the remainder of whole wheat bread, and all the "fixings" for a decent BLT.

:dance:

My pyramid has been pretty stable for the last year or two:
  • 45-50% fat
  • 25-30% protein
  • 20-25% carbs
I'd be happier with a lower carb level, but I enjoy my fermented barley juice too much.

Don't have any idea what my pyramid looks like but I think it's like those really solid one's in Eygpt. :)

Breakfast this morning was fruit bowl with: half of pear, half of banana, dried cranberries, walnuts. Also a glass of skim milk and after this some rocket coffee (very strong). Then I'm going out for my 6 mile run in the hills.

Regarding intestinal details, I've added some prunes (4 or 5 snack) and reasonably high fiber cereal some mornings (like raisin bran + fruit topping). But actually the running will do the job if nothing else does. It helps to run where there is a bathroom a few miles away. :rolleyes:

Moscyn, Like you I am taking advantage of retirement to improve my health. That was one reason I chose to FIRE instead of sticking it out another year. I exercise more and I have been improving my diet, mainly by reducing my total sugar consumption. I do this by avoiding foods with added sugar. And eating more veggies and less fruit.

I also avoid foods with concentrated sugar even if it is not added. This means I no longer buy orange juice, apple juice, etc. You have to eat a lot of apples to equal the sugar in one cup of apple juice. I sure can't eat that many!

I also avoid dried fruits. Again, it is so easy to eat the equivalent of 6 apricots when they are dried. I would never eat 6 fresh apricots at one sitting - two, maybe three if they are the first ones of the season. :)

Don't have any idea what my pyramid looks like ...

Same for me. I eat a bit of this and a bit of that. I try to limit my intake of refined sugar and saturated fat, but everything else is fair game.

As correctly pointed out, not all carbs are equal. I used to eat a lot more rice, noodles, bread, cakes and biscuits. Now, my carbs are from more healthy sources and that makes a lot of difference. Managed to maintain my weight loss for 9 months.

Another one who really has no idea what the %'s are. Do try to eat more fish and vegetable than used to, and I do enjoy carbs. I guess I'm just lucky that as long as I exercise my weight, BP, and lipid numbers all make the Dr happy. So I don't pay much attention to diet other than apply common sense. No doubt should limit the barley pop. Oh well.

I guess I'm just lucky that as long as I exercise my weight, BP, and lipid numbers all make the Dr happy. So I don't pay much attention to diet other than apply common sense. No doubt should limit the barley pop. Oh well.

Not necessarily lucky. You could one of those who can "eat whatever they want" without consequences. (I am not one of those.) Anyway, as I mentioned here, unless your body (or until) gives up protecting you, there will never be a problem. That and if you don't have an issue with weight, you probably will never have anything to be concerned about. (It should be noted that when I weighed 60 lbs more than I do now, I didn't consider myself as having a weight "problem" although I was clearly in the "obese category.)

Back
Top Bottom