Type A personalities may not take easily to retirement

obgyn65

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Another interesting article.

"So you’re a Type A personality: hard-charging, status-driven and impatient. How do you think that’ll work out for you in retirement?

Quite possibly not so great, according to Donald Asher, a Gerlach, Nev., career consultant who has been studying Type A retirees. “Type A’s don’t stop being Type A’s in retirement,” Asher says.

Asher, who speaks on this subject around the country, told me that a Type A personality isn’t very well suited to the retirement life."

Type A personalities may not take easily to retirement - Business on NBCNews.com

Is your personality well suited to the retirement life ?

I can think of a few examples of extreme Type As I have known who retired. The seemingly successful retirees all had some kind of project (or multiple projects) that they worked on, like writing a book or building a lake cabin or planning and planting a huge garden. I cannot think of any Type A retired acquaintances without a focused project or two who seem happy with their retirement. They haven't taken up a life of golf, leisure or even travel. A few went back to work, though they didn't need any money.

I'm only type A behind the wheel of a car. The rest of the time I am laid back. ER rulez.

DH is type A; even his leisurely pursuits like reading are somewhat driven. He will rake our 98 percent leaf-free yard one more time before snow falls. He fills his day with preplanned tasks toward some goal--right now he is working toward a t-shirt from his yoga place. Probably helpful in his case is that he always had hobbies and interests that a career impeded.

So he adores being retired and being able to plan his own extremely important tasks.

I'm only type A behind the wheel of a car. The rest of the time I am laid back. ER rulez.

Gee, you must have been the one riding my rearend at 70 MPH on LBJ this morning.:D

I was amused to see this in Africa. Whereas everything else is so laid back and slow paced, a personality switch occurs when an African gets behind the wheel. I guess it is just hardwired human nature. :D

Last edited:
Gee, you must have been the one riding my rearend at 70 MPH on LBJ this morning.:D

That could have been any of a few hundred thousand people...

Btw, I highly recommend avoiding LBJ at all costs...

I have such a mellow personality that if it weren't for the need to make a living and I also enjoyed my work, I would have gone into ER right after my graduate work (I enjoyed school too, if that makes sense to you).

Never cared about any spectator sport. Never watched an entire game of any type in my life (lost interest quickly). Never participated in any competitive game. Would rather do any physical exercise alone. Don't even know any card game.

So, what's this type A that people speak of? Why do people want to be near one?

I think the author of the article has a strange definition of Type A.
So you’re a Type A personality: hard-charging, status-driven and impatient.

I might agree with the rest, but status-driven? I'd substitute just "driven". I don't think Type A personalities are driven by status; often they are driven internally rather than externally. They are not necessarily insecure people who are trying to impress everybody else and gain status. That is sort of a back-handed insult towards Type A's IMO.

And yes, my guess would be that anyone who is overly insecure and excessively worried about status would have a pretty hard time retiring if their status and identity are solely job-defined. But I don't think Type A's necessarily fit into this category.

I think Type A folks might need a longer adjustment period at the beginning of retirement than others, to decompress and find other directions for their energy. But I don't think they are unsuited to ER, at all. In fact, I suspect they may appreciate ER even more than most, once they have settled in. In retirement, they can use their considerable energy and drive to accomplish goals that THEY set, rather than goals that are set for them. No more spinning the wheels and twiddling the thumbs at work, because they can use their considerable energy and focus towards productive progress on their own projects and related to their own goals.

Last edited:
I think the author of the article has a strange definition of Type A.

I might agree with the rest, but status-driven? I'd substitute just "driven". I don't think Type A personalities are driven by status; often they are driven internally rather than externally. They are not necessarily insecure people who are trying to impress everybody else and gain status. That is sort of a back-handed insult towards Type A's IMO.

And yes, my guess would be that anyone who is overly insecure and excessively worried about status would have a pretty hard time retiring if their status and identity are solely job-defined. But I don't think Type A's necessarily fit into this category.

I think Type A folks might need a longer adjustment period at the beginning of retirement than others, to decompress and find other directions for their energy. But I don't think they are unsuited to ER, at all. In fact, I suspect they may appreciate ER even more than most, once they have settled in. In retirement, they can use their considerable energy and drive to accomplish goals that THEY set, rather than goals that are set for them. No more spinning the wheels and twiddling the thumbs at work, because they can use their considerable energy and focus towards productive progress on their own projects and related to their own goals.
+1
Type "A"'s aren't driven - they do all the driving. Retirement should be no different, just an opportunity for them to set their sights on new targets.

So you’re a Type A personality: hard-charging, status-driven and impatient. How do you think that’ll work out for you in retirement?

Quite possibly not so great, according to Donald Asher, a Gerlach, Nev., career consultant who has been studying Type A retirees. “Type A’s don’t stop being Type A’s in retirement,” Asher says.
Noting the authors caveat possibly, I don't doubt Type A's do better if they have other interactions and projects to keep them enjoying life. And I don't doubt most Type A's don't have any problem finding other things, but some do, and some of them go back to work in some form.

As for status-driven vs driven. Are all Type A's status driven? No. Is status a motivator for some/many Type A's. I'd say yes. Think of successful, egomaniacs you've known or known of, few if any were Type B's IME.

Type "A"'s aren't driven - they do all the driving. Retirement should be no different, just an opportunity for them to set their sights on new targets.

My thought exactly. Why wouldn't a type A make early-retirement a challenge and try to excel at it? Sure, such a retirement would not look anything like mine, but why would it be any less successful?

Set lofty goals for yourself - travel around the world, learn to play the piano, learn a foreign language, start your own charity, etc... - and go for it with all your might!

Last edited:
Never cared about any spectator sport. Never watched an entire game of any type in my life (lost interest quickly). Never participated in any competitive game. Would rather do any physical exercise alone. Don't even know any card game.
Wow - I thought I was the only person like this. All through school I wondered if there was something wrong with me. I was quite a fast runner but didn't pursue it at a competitive level as the competition didn't interest me. I never fully understood the rules of most games such as soccer and rugby - other than the obvious ones of where to put the ball in order to score, as I didn't quite get the point of the game i.e. - why are all those people chasing a ball around a field?

My lack of inclination in this direction felt like a distinct disadvantage in school but in adult life, it hasn't been so bad. I tend not to measure my performance by that of the people around me, but by my own internal yardstick. Likewise, I have never cared that much what my co-workers were earning. All that mattered to me was whether my wages were enough for my needs and wants.

Obviously we're not type A's NW-Bound, so what are we? I'm thinking of a letter quite a way down the alphabet :)

My thought exactly. Why wouldn't a type A make early-retirement a challenge and try to excel at it? Sure, such a retirement would not look anything like mine, but why would it be any less successful?

Set lofty goals for yourself - travel around the world, learn to play the piano, learn a foreign language, start your own charity, etc... - and go for it with all your might!

Great post. I think that's a much better description of the truly Type A personality!! :D

Wow - I thought I was the only person like this. All through school I wondered if there was something wrong with me. I was quite a fast runner but didn't pursue it at a competitive level as the competition didn't interest me. I never fully understood the rules of most games such as soccer and rugby - other than the obvious ones of where to put the ball in order to score, as I didn't quite get the point of the game i.e. - why are all those people chasing a ball around a field?

My lack of inclination in this direction felt like a distinct disadvantage in school but in adult life, it hasn't been so bad. I tend not to measure my performance by that of the people around me, but by my own internal yardstick. Likewise, I have never cared that much what my co-workers were earning. All that mattered to me was whether my wages were enough for my needs and wants.

Obviously we're not type A's NW-Bound, so what are we? I'm thinking of a letter quite a way down the alphabet :)

Sounds like me a lot. Never cared about sports at all.

Sounds like me a lot. Never cared about sports at all.

Ditto. I was the kid in the far outfield examining a dandelion when the fly ball came my way. :LOL:

Last edited:
Ditto. I was the kid the far outfield examining a dandelion when the fly ball came my way. :LOL:
Ha! You reminded me of the time I was playing basketball at high school. I noticed that the ball was flying swiftly towards me. The teacher and my classmates were yelling for me to catch the ball, but it all happened too fast. The ball hit me square on the bridge of my nose, snapping my glasses in two at the center. My glasses fell on the ground in 2 pieces, while I stood there, wondering what had just happened :LOL:

Another time, I did actually score a beautiful basket from the very opposite side of the court. Everyone was amazed - including me. It was a fluke, never to be repeated :D

Perfectionist, sounds like. "OC" would be if he got down on his hands and knees and dug old grass thatch out of the lawn by hand, one piece at a time, for hours and hours.

Type A or OC? :rolleyes:

Type A-hole here... :LOL:

Smarter/richer than some, not as much as others, but I'm really only in competition with myself...

I made a list of things to do in RET. There's about 25 on the list.
It will require, time, money, energy. There is a doubt I can accomplish all of those and be good in everything. Type A folks may do better working on all the 25, and a laid back guy may do well in 5 of 25, but, who knows who is going to be happy in the end!
Some say, you have to redefine work in RET. For an ave. guy like me,
running 3 miles a day plus weight training and working on my investments later, may fill a work day. I have 23 on the list yet to think and and do.

My report card...

T < FIRE = A+

FIRE + 1.5 years = [-]A-[/-] A

FIRE + 5.5 years = [-]B+[/-] A

I doubt I'll ever see a C.

;)

FIFY! You can't fool us - - we "know" you too well. :LOL: I love the way you have just JUMPED into retirement and seized it as your own. You have so many great activities going on. If you aren't off volunteering at the veteran's place, you are engaged in many other activities such as zooming up to the lakes or working on your house/garden. Sounds to me like a wonderful example of a Type A who adjusted beautifully to retirement (and actually I almost used you as an example in my previous post but thought you might take offense... hope you don't now).

Back
Top Bottom