Poll: Eat the best first, or last (a totally trivial poll)

When faced with choices in foods, activities, etc. I tend to:

• Save the best for last, and indulge the lesser first.

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • Indulge the best first, and the rest after.

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Other...

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Noticed that I generally tend to save the best item on my plate for last, or watch the most interesting show recorded on our DVR for last. Just two examples.

I understand there are many people who "eat dessert first" too though.

So for no particular reason whatsover other than a passing curiousity...:)

There's probably an INTJ marker buried in here somewhere that may make this audience a poor sampling for a poll. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Noticed that I generally tend to save the best item on my plate for last, or watch the most interesting show recorded on our DVR for last. Just two examples.

I understand there are many people who "eat dessert first" too though.

Disclaimer: INTJ also, but I don't know if that's an indicator, or perhaps just a common accompaniment to some other gene that's part of an INTJ behavior.

One thing I realized a few years ago is how to look for different behaviors to indicate a delayed gratification. For instance, growing up, my dad would sometimes bring home danish pastries on Saturday mornings. I would ALWAYS - without fail - eat around the frosted edges first, saving that super-rich, incredibly delicious cheese (or apple) center filling for the last possible bites.

Same with a Reese Peanut Butter cup....although these days, I simply bite my way through a Reese's, and don't save all of the danish pastry center for last.

Hmm....perhaps it's tied into FIRE/portfolio advances overall, with me being slightly less savoring as I get ever closer to FIRE?

One thing I realized a few years ago is how to look for different behaviors to indicate a delayed gratification. For instance, growing up, my dad would sometimes bring home danish pastries on Saturday mornings. I would ALWAYS - without fail - eat around the frosted edges first, saving that super-rich, incredibly delicious cheese (or apple) center filling for the last possible bites.
And who hasn't eaten the creamy filling of an OREO saving the chocolate cookies for last? We're funny creatures (self included)...

I don't know this is so much an INTJ thing as one that reflects delayed gratification, a trait closely related to the LBYM generally followed here.

I voted "other", because I just do as I please and that may differ from day to day. :blink:

Variety is the spice of life, after all, right?

Last edited:
I do the best first. Later I might be too full, tired, etc. to fully enjoy it.

Best first. I also don't buy green bananas.

I pace myself so I intersperse the most delicious with the less delicious, alternating between items of varying tastiness. Pizza, for example, is something I often will eat a bite of the tip first, covered in cheese and toppings, then get a bite of crust (sometimes dipped in marinara or garlic butter sauce). That way I don't get to the last 20% of the pizza slice and find it is all or mostly crust.

Sometimes I'll prioritize the eating on what will taste the worst cold (for hot items). So a warm tortilla or piece of bread might be eaten earlier, or something that would congeal and be gross room temp or cold might be eaten earlier (gravy?).

Agreed as to the "totally trivial poll". :) I don't really have a true rigid eating strategy, other than "enjoy the food and eat plenty but don't stuff if I'm full or want some dessert later".

Eating a meal should be like sex, lots of foreplay before the main event, if you know what I mean.

I would vote but I do not understand your definitions for a few terms:
best, first, other, last, do, activities, lessor, indulge, tend, faced, choices, after, when, etc.

j/k

:LOL:

Eating a meal should be like sex, lots of foreplay before the main event, if you know what I mean.

I thought that foreplay was two hours of begging. :LOL:

(Thanks Woody Allen)

Back
Top Bottom