Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   FIRE and Money (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/)
-   -   Snapshot of retirement-age US workers (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/snapshot-of-retirement-age-us-workers-63838.html)

obgyn65 11-24-2012 04:36 PM

Snapshot of retirement-age US workers

Interesting figures here, for those who are considering going back to work, even part time. More than a quarter of all tax preparers are over 65.

Here are the 10 fastest-aging occupations and the growth of 65-plus workers in the past four years:

MSN Careers - A snapshot of retirement-aged American workers - Career Advice Article

travelover 11-24-2012 06:54 PM

83% of embalmers are over 65? I guess a cheery job keeps you young. :blush:

Gabieta 11-24-2012 09:18 PM

Well, I retired at 41 from the navy and then worked a few seasons as a tax preparer -- for a chain, and then a CPA.

I found that I enjoy tax preparation much more as a volunteer -- so 4 years ago, I dropped the paid gig, and have continued the volunteer one . . .

But, it is not a bad retirement job -- seasonal, and you can make a decent amount of money.

JPatrick 11-24-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travelover (Post 1251502)
83% of embalmers are over 65? I guess a cheery job keeps you young. :blush:

And better than a third of models are 65 plus.
Think I'll tighten up those abs and work on my GQ poses just in case I'm needed.:blush:

oldtrig 11-24-2012 09:39 PM

You people are very lucky to retire at such young ages. I had to wait until almost 65 and no way am I going back working for a boss. I enjoy retirement way to much. I belong to the class of 2012 also. oldtrig;D

Walt34 11-25-2012 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPatrick (Post 1251534)
Think I'll tighten up those abs and work on my GQ poses just in case I'm needed.:blush:

That one surprised me too until I thought about it. Of course they need old fogies as models to sell stuff like reverse mortgages to the boomers.

Ditto on tightening up the abs. That's a line of work I hadn't thought about.

Lazarus 11-25-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt34 (Post 1251571)
Of course they need old fogies as models to sell stuff like reverse mortgages to the boomers.

I think it helps to be a has been actor for that too.

Huston55 11-25-2012 08:08 AM

Well, it seems that if you attend a church and die, you'll see encounter a lot of folks in the same demographic that you are were in.

Almost for sure 6 of 8:
1. Embalmer
2. Funeral attendant
3. Vehicle (limo) operator
4. Music composer
5. Clergy
6. Religious workers

And, for the deluxe funeral:
1. Crossing guards (a trip past your old school)
2. Models (so there are good looking people at your funeral)

Makes me want to retire immediately just so I can get one of those jobs. :nonono:

growing_older 11-25-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Is that because there is great demand for older models, or because when asked their occupation, a significant number of people over 65 say "model" whether they do any modeling or not? Perhaps it's just senior citizen humor to tease the telephone pollsters.

W2R 11-25-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldtrig (Post 1251539)
You people are very lucky to retire at such young ages. I had to wait until almost 65 and no way am I going back working for a boss. I enjoy retirement way to much. I belong to the class of 2012 also. oldtrig;D

So glad to hear that you are enjoying your retirement so much! I didn't retire until 61, and I feel the same way you do about it - - there is no way I would ever go back to work. I am having too much fun. ;D

Midpack 11-25-2012 11:11 AM

Interesting. Usher was on the list. I have a 74 yo aunt who is a part-time usher in a local theatre (stageplays, not movies). She does it only to see the plays for free, and loves it.