"Vitamin I"

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I seem to recall several posters who mentioned using ibuprofen (aka Vitamin I) regularly to assist with ongoing pain due to workouts, etc.

Today's NYT has an article about the risks of ongoing usage:

"...a valuable new study joins growing evidence that ibuprofen and similar anti-inflammatory painkillers taken before a workout don’t offer any benefit and may be causing disagreeable physical damage instead, particularly to the intestines."

For Athletes, Risks From Ibuprofen Use - NYTimes.com

omni

I seem to recall several posters who mentioned using ibuprofen (aka Vitamin I) regularly to assist with ongoing pain due to workouts, etc.

"...a valuable new study joins growing evidence that ibuprofen and similar anti-inflammatory painkillers taken before a workout don’t offer any benefit and may be causing disagreeable physical damage instead, particularly to the intestines."

For Athletes, Risks From Ibuprofen Use - NYTimes.com

omni
I would never use these things except in rare instances. Modify the workout. We are not racehorses that had better run and run often and run well or we'll be put down.

Or soldiers who esentially belong to the state. We are free people, who can modify our behaviors as needed.

Ha

Last edited:
The practice of taking ibuprofen before or after routine exercise has always seemed strange to me. It is the completely opposite of my "listen to your body" philosophy for exercise. That works really well for me and as a bonus, no side effects.

W2R said:
The practice of taking ibuprofen before or after routine exercise has always seemed strange to me. It is the completely opposite of my "listen to your body" philosophy for exercise. That works really well for me and as a bonus, no side effects.

That is my mantra, as I learned the hard way. Unfortunately at this stage of my life it means slowly backing away from the more strenuous activities of yesteryear. My knees told me to quit running so now I walk briskly. My wrists and shoulders said quit trying to increase muscle size, so now I just maintain. At least I take no ibuprofen. Although I must admit, I didn't back off to avoid using it, I backed off to avoid surgery. :)

Thanks for the input. I would never use it in training, but I routinely used it before (and during) a marathon. Let's face it, the quads have to deal with pretty intense pain during the last part of a marathon. :(

Since my marathoning days are over (strictly half-marathons these days), I will simply forget about doing this any more.

Like they say, "growing evidence". One of the reasons that the athletes might suffer adverse effects from pre-workout ibuprofen is because they've cut off the body's pain-transmitting ability to tell them that they're hurting themselves. It's like doping a horse before the Kentucky Derby... or a football player before the Super Bowl.

Another danger of pre-workout dosing is that ibuprofen is best taken with food, and I don't know any athletes who chug down a light snack before the starting gun.

These guys should be dosing themselves with caffeine before the workout, not ibuprofen. There's a "growing body of evidence" that it improves exercise performance. So much the better if the caffeine is flavored with chocolate.

When I was recovering from tearing my ACLs, ibuprofen was prescribed by my orthopedic surgeon to keep down the swelling-- 800 mg 3x/day for several months. No problems. These days I administer an 800 mg dose of vitamin I to assist with ongoing pain due to workouts-- after the workout, and maybe a second dose the next morning. And during the three nights/four days that I was hiking Haleakala Crater, I was wishing for an ibuprofen IV drip to hang on my backpack.

Hmm. I guess an ibuprofen IV would avoid that pesky intestinal problem? Or maybe a transdermal patch!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom