Think I will wait until sunday

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was all set to start my deer hunt tomorrow until I checked the weather forecast:

"Saturday...Chance of snow and areas of blowing snow in the morning...Then snow likely and areas of blowing snow in the afternoon. Very windy. Snow accumulation up to 3 inches. Highs 22 to 32. West winds 40 to 50 mph with gusts to around 80 mph. Chance of snow 60 percent."

:blink:

You laugh at Ron's skit, but when in college another guy and I decided to go rabbit hunting. The only rabbit we saw all day was the one I ran over with the car on the way out there. I shoulda stopped and picked it up.

What part of the country are you hunting at? Our firearm deer season in Michigan ended on November 30th. Weather was fairly mild overall, although we did have some snow on the ground at times. I was able to get two deer this year, which is a pretty good year for me. We are enjoying the venison now.......just got the last of it cut up and into the freezer last week.

I am in Colorado and the seasons are staggered. Seasons vary by specific area and the permit I got (lottery system) is considered a late rifle permit good for the months of ecember and January in the specific area. Colorado is stingy, so I only get at most 1 deer. My co-worker in Nebraska was able to get 3 with his over the counter permit (translation: Nebraska is saying "please rid us of some of these pests").

The forecast has backed off to 25 to 35 MPH winds, so I am going today. If it sucks I can always come home in 45 min. As far as Ron White's spiel goes, I have never seen deer at dawn. Always find them within an hour of sunset. Of course, that is when I was after small game. Now that I am after deer I will probably be mobbed only by squirrels.

"Saturday...Chance of snow and areas of blowing snow in the morning...Then snow likely and areas of blowing snow in the afternoon. Very windy. Snow accumulation up to 3 inches. Highs 22 to 32. West winds 40 to 50 mph with gusts to around 80 mph. Chance of snow 60 percent."

:blink:
Good call on your part, the deer will probably be indoors. Wonder what wind chill/real feel temps will be - in degrees Kelvin? :blink: is right!

Midpack said:
Good call on your part, the deer will probably be indoors. Wonder what wind chill/real feel temps will be - in degrees Kelvin? :blink: is right!

Reminded me of a radio link a friend sent to me this week. A lady (not a very bright one either) was calling in to a local radio show complaining about the location of the deer crossing signs. She said there is too much traffic there, and have had too many deer accidents there. The highway department needed to move the signs to an area where the traffic on the road isn't so busy.

I am in Colorado and the seasons are staggered. Seasons vary by specific area and the permit I got (lottery system) is considered a late rifle permit good for the months of ecember and January in the specific area. Colorado is stingy, so I only get at most 1 deer. My co-worker in Nebraska was able to get 3 with his over the counter permit (translation: Nebraska is saying "please rid us of some of these pests").

The forecast has backed off to 25 to 35 MPH winds, so I am going today. If it sucks I can always come home in 45 min. As far as Ron White's spiel goes, I have never seen deer at dawn. Always find them within an hour of sunset. Of course, that is when I was after small game. Now that I am after deer I will probably be mobbed only by squirrels.

I've always had better luck with deer in the last hour before dusk, also. Both deer I got this year were shot during that time period. I don't like hunting on windy days, though. The deer tend to be skittish/nervous, probably because the wind interferes with their ability to hear and sense danger. If you don't see much today, hang in there.......there should be better hunting ahead when the wind dies down.

...As far as Ron White's spiel goes, I have never seen deer at dawn. ...

Interesting.... most of the deer that I have shot have been in the mid-morning - but only one at dawn and only one in the afternoon (but it was the biggest). I would sometimes see or hear them at dusk, but never got a shot.

I always seemed to have chipmunks, squirrels and chickadees playing around nearby when I was sitting- I figured it was good as it was a sign that I was being pretty still.

Ultimately, the idea of dragging my a** up out of bed before the crack of dawn and sitting on a freezing cold log waiting for a buck to come by lost its luster - so I don't hunt anymore.

Besides, the deer liked to torment me by not showing themselves when during hunting season and then tracking up my front walkway and eating our shrubbery after the season was over. :(

pb4uski said:
Besides, the deer liked to torment me by not showing themselves when during hunting season and then tracking up my front walkway and eating our shrubbery after the season was over. :(
:LOL:
I don't hunt, but we see deer in our yard almost every day, and we can't grow vegetables in our backyard garden as they eat everything we try to grow. :(

I'm going to enjoy some venison tonight. A golf buddy game me some deer link sausage with cheese and jalapeno peppers in the sausage. Slice and put on a few crackers, chased down with a cold med......you have a pretty tasty feast. My version of living off the fat of the land. ;)

Eh, 6 hours in the back country and I saw a grand total of 2 nuthatches and 3 woodpeckers. I saw tons of deer and elk tracks and crap. At least the wind did not show up. I will try again on Monday in a different area of the park I am hunting. I think I will try for a tag somewhere flatter next season, though. Humping a 20 pound pack and 7 pound rifle while heavily dressed and going up 2,000 feet elevation (a few times over several miles) is a bit much. I am no longer 25.

No hunting in our campground, and the deer know it. I think they were square dancing.

img_1257066_0_cdbd4a2a5be4b5a12fea04c5b468091c.jpg

Colorado is stingy, so I only get at most 1 deer. My co-worker in Nebraska was able to get 3 with his over the counter permit (translation: Nebraska is saying "please rid us of some of these pests").

Only 3? Driving through Indiana one night, I almost got 6 with my car. They were milling about on the INTERSTATE in the fog. Saw what looked like the shadow of several people walking across the highway in the lights of oncoming traffic. Already going slow for the fog, I finally saw that they were deer, apparently wondering why there was no grass where they were standing. At one time, I thought sheep were the dumbest animals on earth, but I'm beginning to think deer are a close second (if not first).

Where I used to w*rk in the midwest, I had a window which overlooked a field with a stand of trees. One day, we counted 17 of the critters milling about across the road.

Speaking of Colorado, I was driving down a hill there (near Rocky Mtn. Sate Park as I recall) and saw a deer dart across the road on a switchback. Sure enough when I had made the curve and came around, s/he was darting across the road again. Long story short, saw that dear half a dozen times on the way down. Must have been something good at the bottom of the hill. (For me, it was a frosty glass of Colorado Kool-Aid - not sure what was driving the deer down the hill.)

Good luck on Monday!

Like Midpack and imoldernu, our place is crawling with deer. Brewer - if you're looking for a warmer place to hunt with less altitude, take this shot from our kitchen window. The buck on the left looks like a keeper.

deer.jpg

Brewer,

You deserve a deer buddy, I am impressed with your efforts. Can you hook up with an experienced hunter, it may help with the learning curve and also when it comes to carrying out the meat. Much better than going it alone.

Brewer,

You deserve a deer buddy, I am impressed with your efforts. Can you hook up with an experienced hunter, it may help with the learning curve and also when it comes to carrying out the meat. Much better than going it alone.

I don't know any local hunters. A friend and coworker is an avid hunter, but he lives 500 miles away and his experience is plains, not mountains.

When I go back up there tomorrow I will be sticking to the areas where I could feasibly drag the meat out. No point in hiking way into the backcountry if I would be challenged to even retrieve my kill.

Looking like tomorrow morning will be very cold.

I could shoot pictures like this from my house almost any week, even though it's a neighborhood of 800 lots (however, well wooded). The fawn pic I posted a few months ago, smallest I'd ever seen, about the size of an adult domestic cat. Momma deer dropped her off in the AM and picked her up in the PM. The fawn just "hid" in the grass and waited all day.

Attachments

• Deer Cleary.JPG
    Deer Cleary.JPG
    368.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Baby3.JPG
    Baby3.JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 6
When I go back up there tomorrow I will be sticking to the areas where I could feasibly drag the meat out. No point in hiking way into the backcountry if I would be challenged to even retrieve my kill.

As with many others there is no need to do that. You could just stand on the deck in my back yard:

Attachments

• backyard_deer-1.jpg
    backyard_deer-1.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 1
  • backyard_deer-2.jpg
    backyard_deer-2.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 2
  • backyard_deer-3.jpg
    backyard_deer-3.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 2
How to tell when deer season is over...

How to tell when deer season is over...

huntingseasonover.jpg

Grabbed some of these Butler Creek scope covers for your scope yet? Help keep the blowing snow out of both ends. Make sure you get the correct size. Need to be tight fit (0.010"?) to function.

-CC

I feel your pain Brewer. I just got back from a 3 day hunt. It was hot with temps in the 80s. I am in Texas so this is to be expected. Of course I get back and this week the temps drop to the 30s and I am stuck at the office. I did bag one for the sausage making weekend. So it was still a decent hunt. Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom