Took the Kindle Plunge ($50 off Fire HD 8.9 today)

RunningBum

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Amazon pushed me over the edge with $50 off today on the larger Fire HD ($249 for the 16GB without 4G but you can also get $50 off with 4G and/or with 32GB). I wonder if they will have the smaller one on sale another day before Christmas? I thought about the easier to hold size of the 7", but ultimately decided that I would like a larger screen for browsing and movies, not to mention being able to use larger type on books.

This is a day after upgrading my Samsung Droid phone after it got run over on Saturday (long story). I got the Samsung Rugby Pro, not because I expect it to survive being run over, but because it may hold up better when I carry it while running. Luckily I had my Galaxy S for just over 2 years so the upgrade price wasn't bad - $99 +$35 upgrade fee. I dreaded getting this phone back to where the other one was but Google synced my Contacts and Calendar, and the Google Play store showed me which apps I had on that phone. I had a few docs on there but nothing that's not also on my laptop.

I guess I just hijacked my own thread in post 1. Just thinking about how I've contributed to the economy in the last 30 hours.

New phone yesterday, new Kindle today--what are you buying tomorrow to help the economy?

They sound great!

I love my Kindle Fire . It was the best $199 I ever spent . When I travel that is the only gadget I take .

New phone yesterday, new Kindle today--what are you buying tomorrow to help the economy?

They sound great!

The accessories and apps!
That is what I am doing lately since I bought DW the Kindle Fire HD 8.9.
I bought it the week of Thanskgiving from Best Buy because I have BB gift cards that can pay part of it. Then today, I saw that $50 off deal at Amazon. Ugh!

OK Kindle Fire HD owners, my Fire HD 8.9 inch just arrived today and I can't figure out how to enlarge the font size on newspaper articles. There is no "Aa" button or "magnifying glass." (The "magnifying glass" icon turned out to be a Search button!) How the heck do I make the fonts larger?

Thanks,
Amethyst

Can't you just put you thumb & index finger on the screen, then spread them apart? That's how my non HD Kindle works to enlarge (the whole screen).

I already have the whole screen engaged. Pulling the item "apart" does no good except for images. Doesn't enlarge font.

Can't you just put you thumb & index finger on the screen, then spread them apart? That's how my non HD Kindle works to enlarge (the whole screen).

I already have the whole screen engaged. Pulling the item "apart" does no good except for images. Doesn't enlarge font.

i watched a youtube video on the 8.9 today the guys were pressing things for font sizes

i looked it up. access settings. font size is one of them

Last edited:
If you touch the script a screen should pop up on the bottom that enlarges the fonts .

I have yet to hear of anyone who didn't just love their Kindle. Enjoy it!

Tip for battery life: If it seems to be draining fast, do a hard shutdown, meaning you hold the power switch in for about 20 seconds. I had also been told to drain it down under 10% and then give it a full recharge, but even while draining it down I found that after the hard shutdown it got a lot better at battery usage. For example, a 2 hour movie was pretty much draining the battery before, and now it might use 20% (rough numbers).

I am ready to throw the &%#! at the wall.

There is no control for font size (except on sites where the "pinch" method works but that's not always the case).

I can't find a control for volume on videos.

I can't bookmark anything in such a way that someone else can find it later.

So now you have heard of one person. These are such simple functions, should be easy to find, but I have been all over the device, tapped and pinched everything, and no dice.

Amethyst

I have yet to hear of anyone who didn't just love their Kindle. Enjoy it!

I am ready to throw the &%#! at the wall.

There is no control for font size (except on sites where the "pinch" method works but that's not always the case).

I can't find a control for volume on videos.

I can't bookmark anything in such a way that someone else can find it later.

So now you have heard of one person. These are such simple functions, should be easy to find, but I have been all over the device, tapped and pinched everything, and no dice.

Amethyst

There is a control for font sizes.It is on the bottom or you can hit the page & it will show up . The volume is on the top .You tap the top & it shows up . It can be finicky .I never bookmark so I can not help you with that . The Kindle Fire takes a little playing with to get used to but after that you will hopefully love it .

Back
Top Bottom