Ravi Shankar RIP - DEC 11, 2012

ERD50

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Indian sitar virtuoso Ravi Shankar dies

Saw him twice, both times at Chicago Symphony Hall. Last time was with his daughter Anoushka (I'll have to look up the date, 2004 I think). She is beautiful, and I kinda figured she was just there because of the family name. But she is an absolutely amazing musician. That tour was 'whispered' to be his farewell tour, and he was supposedly handing the reins to his daughter. He did end up having a tour scheduled a few years later, but the Chicago concert was cancelled due to an illness he had at that time. So I was glad I did get to see him when I did.

I never really paid all that much attention to his recordings from Concert for Bangladesh, but at some point I saw some of his straight Indian classical recordings in the library, and I loved them. Have several CDs of him, and I purchased Anoushka's Carnegie Hall concert that night that I saw them. Due to the train schedule, I couldn't wait in line to have her sign it though.

I remember now, at the first concert - an older lady next to me was very occasionally, softly humming along with the raga. This normally would have bugged me, but I was amazed that she knew the piece by heart! They are so complex, all I can do is kind of 'go with the flow'. Just get lost in the feeling I guess. And oh, those tablas, when they all get going, back and forth with the sitar - incredible timing!

-ERD50

Got his album "Three Ragas" back in the 60s, and pretty much wore the grooves out of it. Great music if you're willing to put a little effort into appreciating it.

braumeister said:
Got his album "Three Ragas" back in the 60s, and pretty much wore the grooves out of it. Great music if you're willing to put a little effort into appreciating it.

That is a great way to phrase it! I'm sure it is good music, but I never put the effort probably into appreciating it. The sitar influenced Beatles songs, and of Harrison's were always the ones I least liked.

Great music if you're willing to put a little effort into appreciating it.

Funny, that is a common comment - but I loved the music from the moment I first gave it a serious listen, I just seemed to connect with it (DW HATES it!). I love how they first start so slow, just hinting at the notes in the scale and some of the themes, a bit like an 'overture' but much more subtle. Then, it keeps building and developing, and depending on the style of raga, it can build to a furious pace.

And I've never been a fan of the 'popularized' Indian music. I have a CD by Shankar & Harrison ('Tana Mana'), for me - meh. I'll take it 'straight'. That's another advantage to having all my music digitized on a hard drive - a few clicks and I can find all these artists and their CDs in no time.

So I just put on Anoushka's recording of 'Raga Mishra Piloo' - this should be 18 minutes of bliss! der-der-derde-dew-deeeeeew-da-da-da-da-da Ta! ;)

-ERD50

I remember him and was surprised to hear on the news that his daughter is Norah Jones, the singer. Can that be true? I like her music alot more than I do sitar music.

Back
Top Bottom