"Hidey Places"

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
From being here on ER for a while, I can see that I'm not alone in spending much time online. It helps keep the brain working, but from time to time, perhaps a little too much... too intense... and sometimes it seems like work rather than fun.

So, a "hidey place"... a click away from things like blogging, answering mail, or checking up on personal necessities or obligations. I'll tell you my "hidey places" if you'll tell me yours. :)

1. Solitaire or Bloobs
2. Modern Mechanix/ Mechanics Illustrated (for those interested in the history of today's science and why stuff is...) A huge site.
Modern Mechanix | Yesterday's tomorrow, today.
3. Hunting down on Google... Places we've been, Lived, or want to see.

I have looked at numbers two and three. I thought number one said something else at first and I was going to include it.

Last edited:
Free movie sites, especially while we're "sans TV".

A few years ago we had a very bad winter and I found a bunch of live streaming beach web cams. It was a nice break from my normal internet sites. I'd just watch the waves for a while and the people and dogs and try to imagine how over heated and sunburn they were getting. One favorite site also had audio and listening to the waves and birds was just lovely.

I don't have those links any more but I searched again and found a nice one -
EarthCam - Lauderdale-By-The-Sea Cam

A few years ago we had a very bad winter and I found a bunch of live streaming beach web cams. It was a nice break from my normal internet sites. I'd just watch the waves for a while and the people and dogs and try to imagine how over heated and sunburn they were getting. One favorite site also had audio and listening to the waves and birds was just lovely.

I don't have those links any more but I searched again and found a nice one -
EarthCam - Lauderdale-By-The-Sea Cam

Oh very nice and I don't have to fly across the country to see it!

Video games: Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Portal are a few favorites. I watch Netflix while surfing the web and watching the stock market, so that's not exactly one of my relaxing activities.

Google Earth (armchair travel), video games, youtube.

Last edited:
Aviation videos on YouTube.

This site has actually been my go to hidey place on the 'net for the last few years. I am much more of a lurker than a poster; but, I am making a conscious effort to post more. I hope that I will ever see this site as an obligation; that would take all of the fun out of it for me.

1. David James Elliott (actor) fan site
2. Fanfiction website -- specifically JAG fiction
3. This ER forum

I enjoy all kinds of music, and discovered Daryl Hall's site a few months ago. I really enjoy it. Live From Daryl's House with Daryl Hall :: Homepage

All different types of music done in an informal setting with lots of interesting interaction. My favorite is session #23 with Todd Rundgren.....been a fan of his for a long time. Plus I have developed several new favorites I probably would not have heard, like Nick Waterhouse. So much good music....I listen to something from that site just about everyday.

I definitely lurk here more than anywhere else. I also lurk at Married with Luggage and a little at Inspiration and Chai.

Those are other sites that I go to on the web. Maybe I don't understand the question. Sorry.

Here is my chill method. Open Twitter, and scroll through the tweets of those I follow. This includes God, Sarah Silverman, actors from The Office, Seth MacFarlane, Gawker, Tim Seidell, etc. Either something humorous is posted, or there might be a link to a video or story which will occupy the mind.

If I find myself in YouTube, I'll search for a song or artist, and scroll through related videos.

A simple diversion that starts with Twitter on my cell phone.

Silver said:
I enjoy all kinds of music, and discovered Daryl Hall's site a few months ago. I really enjoy it. Live From Daryl's House with Daryl Hall :: Homepage

All different types of music done in an informal setting with lots of interesting interaction. My favorite is session #23 with Todd Rundgren.....been a fan of his for a long time. Plus I have developed several new favorites I probably would not have heard, like Nick Waterhouse. So much good music....I listen to something from that site just about everyday.

Plus 1 and also to the Rundgren set. When I first watched those I was so impressed with the music, that I wanted to buy it. Of course being old school I was looking for a disc, but those were not available.

If I chose to pursue them, the plethora of content sites accessible via the new TV & Blu-ray player would probably qualify. I haven't been able to figure out how much they'll cost or if any of them are free (like the free streaming movie sites I have bookmarked on the 'puter...)

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but The Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine has been one of my faves for years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom