27 year old dislikes working 40 hours a week

Does it matter what they think of my early retirement? After all, if I did what people thought, I'd have a much nicer car, and be in debt. I don't intend to stay living in the area in retirement any how.

Also, I would not start drawing on that money at 38, working part time to cover expenses and not touch the savings is the plan. But who knows, I could be in a more comfortable position at 38, or feel like I could work a little longer knowing I could quit any time I'd like. This is 10 years away. It's a plan, not what I have to do.

I'm sorry. I am looking forward to FIRE as much as the next person; but I cannot tolerate those that don't feel they need to work hard to get their compensation. Twelve on twelve is a tough work schedule; 40 hours a week is not even a quarter of a week. I believe in work hard play hard. I take my two three week vacations a year but give far more than 40 hours a week when I am working.

I once worked 12 hour shifts. And I LOVED it. Perhaps it was because I only had to do it for 24 weeks a year. :dance:

To the OP, take a number and get in line. Save your pennies and maybe one day your dreams will come to fruition. I would just caution you to make sure your lifestyle and is sustainable and brings contentment.

I'm a physician. When I was a resident I worked 80-100 hours per week. Later, it got better, with some weeks of 80-100 hours and some of 40-50 hours. Lots of sleepless nights. There is nothing more exhausting than feeling cold, shivery and disoriented because you have not slept in over 24 hours. I used to drive home very carefully, crawl into bed all tense, and wish I could die before the phone rang again. That is why they pay doctors the big(ger) bucks and why the incidence of suicide is high among physicians. Not surprisingly, After decades of this carry-on, I developed hypertension. My last job was more like 40 hours a week, but there was a lot of travel. Much better quality of life with 40 hours!

The OP does not know how good he has it. It seems to me that he is frustrated with how he spends those 40 hours. Time for some career counseling. Find a more fulfilling job, because you will need one for a couple of decades yet.

Last edited:
....I don't intend to completely quit at 38, but work part time doing something more enjoyable. Who knows, I may love it so much I never quit. ....

Things you love doing often stop being that once you start doing them for money, on a schedule, with a boss or customers. Good luck

It seems that some people find it unusual that I enjoy my time outside of work more than my time at work. Is it that strange? After all, don't we all belong to an ER forum where the goal is less work, and more free time? I don't despise work, it's just that I'd rather be doing so many other things with my time. I just thought this was normal. I don't see any people excited to drive in to their jobs.

I personally do not see anything wrong with a young person like yourself wanting to "work less and live more", to borrow from title of a popular book around here. That is if the person does not compare his living standard to the common folks who trek to work every day to put in 8 to 10 hrs/day, save like mad, then only call it quit when they get to their 50s.

And so far, I have not seen anything in your attitude to indicate that you have that envy. So, there's nothing wrong with living your life as you see fit.

I think it is kinda funny, too, Too Young. I quit a good job in my mid-20s to do some sailing, then went back to work again after we returned. I did it because I felt the same way then that you do now. I don't feel the same as some of our fellow posters, that you have to suffer some specified period of time before you are "allowed" to enjoy your life. ;)

It seems that some people find it unusual that I enjoy my time outside of work more than my time at work. Is it that strange? After all, don't we all belong to an ER forum where the goal is less work, and more free time? I don't despise work, it's just that I'd rather be doing so many other things with my time. I just thought this was normal. I don't see any people excited to drive in to their jobs.

I don't think people are criticizing your desire to retire early. I think they're saying since you're not yet ready to quit today, try to maintain a better perspective about your job to make it more tolerable for you. Focus on the positive vs the negative, consider how much worse other people have it, etc.

I'm pretty sure we're all on board with you wanting to retire early. You just need to be prepared is all. I think you can do it. Actually, quite honestly, if you BOTH worked part time and lived frugally, you could probably do it it right now. Two part time incomes = one full time income does it not? You would have to pay for insurance that you wouldn't in a full-time job, but if you were VERY frugal you could do it.

I like your plan of waiting 10 years better. You'll both get a nice little pension and then your part-time work from them allows any invested money to grow.

The main problem with pensions though is that since 1978, companies are allowed to restructure (read as "makes less") pension payouts in a bankruptcy.

I'm fully on board with your plan. Make it happen!

I'm pretty sure we're all on board with you wanting to retire early. You just need to be prepared is all. I think you can do it. Actually, quite honestly, if you BOTH worked part time and lived frugally, you could probably do it it right now. Two part time incomes = one full time income does it not? You would have to pay for insurance that you wouldn't in a full-time job, but if you were VERY frugal you could do it.

I like your plan of waiting 10 years better. You'll both get a nice little pension and then your part-time work from them allows any invested money to grow.

The main problem with pensions though is that since 1978, companies are allowed to restructure (read as "makes less") pension payouts in a bankruptcy.

I'm fully on board with your plan. Make it happen!

Hopefully, since it is a state run pension it will be ok. They have changed the rules since I was employed, but in grandfathered in under the old rules. New rules require a higher contribution rate, and 25% smaller payout. The formula ok under is 2.5% times years worked times final 3 years average salary. This takes 7.5% of my check.

I briefly contemplated the part time work now idea, but I would rather be more comfortable I. The future with knowing there is a cushion to fall back on.

Hopefully, since it is a state run pension it will be ok. They have changed the rules since I was employed, but in grandfathered in under the old rules. New rules require a higher contribution rate, and 25% smaller payout. The formula ok under is 2.5% times years worked times final 3 years average salary. This takes 7.5% of my check.

I briefly contemplated the part time work now idea, but I would rather be more comfortable I. The future with knowing there is a cushion to fall back on.

I think your plan is solid. Good luck!

This feeling may be because of my surroundings. Dad is self employed and takes off when he feels like it, mon works part time, sister doesn't work for no good reason, two cousins live at home off their parents and barely work... Maybe in jealous a little bit. I watch all these people around me enjoying all the extra hours home from work, and they seem to be doing alright, why am I working so much?
I'm guessing your dad worked hard to build up his business so that he can take time off now as he pleases, and let your mom just work part time. What have you done to put yourself in a position to succeed? More than your sister and cousins, certainly, but you usually have to do more than just let life continue to improve your lot.

Just for example, maybe instead of continuing to work for a salary, you could start your own office cleaning business, perhaps on the side until you get established. Once you get going, you could hire people to work for/with you. Then at some point, you are no longer doing the actual work, but managing the contracts and the people working for you. If it continues to grow, you can hire people to do the managing as well, and you just oversee it, and at that point your time is much more flexible and you can probably take plenty of time off.

Of course this means working even more than 40 hours for awhile, so you have to ask yourself if it is worth it, or whether you can take plodding along at your current job until you tuck away enough to leave or go part time.

+1

And please note that studies show you could only withdraw $40,000 + an increase each year to keep up with inflation for 30 years before your chances of running out of money begin to increase significantly. You'd probably do better with a withdrawal rate around 3%, meaning you'd need closer to $1.3 million invested.

+2
Had a formal financial plan done few mo ago & that national firm was lowering its rec on MSWR to 3-3.5% from prev rec of 4%. And heaven knows how the cost of health insurance will rise over the next decades.

How about a man or woman who joins military at 17 or 18 and stays?

Ha

Yes but I knew OP was not military.

I did join when I was 17 but did not stay. You would be enlisted if you went in at 17. Probably be about an E7. Half pay would be abt. $2100. Pretty tight if thats all you have. A married couple would do nicely.

Starting a cleaning business isn't the worst idea. Could do it on the side until it starts to grow into something. I'm not unhappy at my job quite yet, so I'll stay on track for now. Good idea for the future though!

My father did work very hard creating his business. He does deserve what he has. I guess it's just easier to look at what it is now, not what it took to get there. Good point there.

My experience is that the less you work, the less you want to work. When I was around 30 I negotiated 3 months of unpaid leave per year so that I could go on a long third world trip each year. This was OK for a few years, and then I started getting unhappy with the 40 hours I was working during the other nine months, and negotiated that down to 32 hours (4 days/week). The pattern continued, and by age 45 I was working 20 hours/week for 6 months/year, and was still dissatisfied with my work obligations, so I downsized my lifestyle and stopped working altogether. Your mileage may vary...

At 27, I was raring to go and never thought about retiring - I was only thinking about how quickly I buy my own home, settle down, raise a family and build a nest egg. It's not about like or dislike but about reality and quality of life. Only hard work will get you to FI unless you hit a lotto or have rich parents.

Getting married? No..that's fast way to loose money..:). other option sounds better.

I was really fortunate to work in a field that I loved for 32 years. There were only two things that bothered me: 1) 24x7 call rotation (but not for all 32 years, thank goodness) and 2) dealing with unpleasant coworkers and managers.

If I had had a strong dislike for the work, I would probably have burned out pretty quickly.

There are really only 2 paths to FIRE: make more than spend, or spend less than you make. It's all about priorities. Would you rather work 70 hour weeks forever to live in a 4000 sqft house and drive a new benz every 2 years, or live in a paid off 4-plex, drive a ten year old Camry, and retire at 45?

Back
Top Bottom