What type of tablet (non iPad) do you have?

What type of (non-iPad) tablet do you have?

• Full size with WiFi

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • Full size with WiFi + 3G/4G/cellular

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Mini with WiFi

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Mini with WiFi + 3G/4G/cellular

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If you have a tablet computer, what type (full size or mini) do you have?

If you have a cellular connection, do you use it often enough to purchase that feature the next time you get a tablet?

I was given a nexus 7 wifi and ended up regifting it to my mother-in-law (already have several ipads). Seems pretty nice but was surprised that it didn't have an SD card slot.

Full size. Yes.

omni550 said:
If you have a tablet computer, what type (full size or mini) do you have?

If you have a cellular connection, do you use it often enough to purchase that feature the next time you get a tablet?

I have a Kindle fire, that uses wifi. I called it a mini as it is maybe 7" screen. Not sure what size is the official divide. I was originally thinking I would wait for a cheap magazine sized reader, then realized if it was that big, I might as wel have a laptop since I touch type.

I forgot to say I am likely to buy a Microsoft Surface tablet in the coming weeks. Just waiting for the release of the pro version.

None yet. I don't like the fact that iPads do not have SD slots and are too 'closed' for what I would want to use it for (though iPads are fantastic if they meet your needs). So I'm waiting (no rush) for an android/linux version with SD, usb host, HDMI at a good price ( ~ $200). Probably a year or two out for me - the ones I see at that price get middling reviews.

If I could put my T-Mobile prepaid Gold Rewards SIM card in it, then I might go for a cellular connection. You can switch to $2-$3/day data connection with unlimited talk/text (Pay-By-The-Day PBTD) for any day/s you need, and then switch back to the 'regular' Pay-As-You-Go (PAYG)for days you would not need data outside of WiFi, or need a lot of talk/text. The PAYG, on Gold Status (put $100 on the first year), takes only $10/year to extend the service - of course limited minutes, but they roll over.

-ERD50

What is the definition of full size vs. mini? I have a 8.9" Kindle Fire HD, which I'd guess is full sized, but I'm not certain. Wifi only. I'll use my smart phone if all I have available is 3G/4G.

"Mini" would be iPad Mini, which has a 7.8-inch screen, or smaller.

I saw an ad today for a $79 Android tablet at Frys. Probably slow with a poor screen but may be good enough for email and browsing.

I have a chinese 7" android with wifi. paid ~ $70, has HDMI, SD, mini USB. It's rootable , I've loaded android 4.2 onto it.

There's not a choice for "None".

It is not the same as "Something else", is it?

I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and like it well enough. I do not like that it won't run Adobe Flash or have a better back camera with a flash. I got it on sale for $299 and for that price I can live with it's flaws. It has 2 cameras, wifi, SD slot and can control our TV if I set it up.

In my buis we recently delivered a HTML5 app (to work ipad/android pad mobile and desktop) but had to perfect it for an experience on Acer 200 low end android pads (we included a kit of 20 pads). With the ability to install a Chrome browser the devices are very useable.

Asus Transformer, 2nd edition. 10". SD slot and hdmi. Had it about 1.5yr and love it. Works great with the new LED tv. Waiting to get the Google Nexus 10" next and the wife will inherit the Transformer to replace her E-reader.

I voted Mini with WiFi + 3G/4G/cellular
I have a Samsung Galaxy S II - technically that's a smartphone but I mainly use it as a mini tablet and almost never as a phone. My 3g/4g cellular plan is from Ting which is great because in months where I don't use voice or data, I don't get charged for it. If I go the whole month with no phone calls, and only using wi-fi instead of 3g/4g, my Ting monthly bill is only about $6. If I use some voice and some 3g/4g data, that's about $12/month.

Your results will be scewed as I have a mini with wifi +3g.... but, I never use 3g... don't even have a plan....

I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and like it well enough. I do not like that it won't run Adobe Flash or have a better back camera with a flash. I got it on sale for $299 and for that price I can live with it's flaws. It has 2 cameras, wifi, SD slot and can control our TV if I set it up.

I believe the no flash player is an Android wide problem.

I love my Asus Transformer. You can use it as a pad or attach the keyboard for a netbook. Very slick.

img_1270868_0_6357a866c729f59a8b714c2de1424666.jpg

six months ago... nextbook7s resistive screen... ICS, and not compliant, but I rooted for Google Play... thru finless bob.
$79.

Good for learning... not very practical for me.

Last edited:
10" Motorola Xoom, wifi. Pure android so running gingerbread. (Some of the other early android tablets needed to be rooted to update to current android version.)

For the first year I had it I called it my "pressssssshusssss" - like Gollum. I still love it - but will leave the house without it now.

I think microsoft has something with the Surface. My kids have netbooks running windows 8 - which is designed for the touch screen (though they don't have touch screens)... With Microsoft's muscle and deep pockets I suspect it will get a big install base and app base.

We're a mixed household. I'm android, husband is iOS (iPhone for work).

Just got one of those new Dell 'convertible' Ultrabooks, the XPS 12, that is a laptop that converts to a tablet (with a screen that 'spins'). I've only had it a day but love it so far (and if that feeling continues I'm definitely adopting rodi's "pressssssshusssss" moniker!).

Bought a "full-size" tablet at xmas (ipad, 4th generation) but find I'm still primarily using a mini (kindle fire, 1st generation). Think 7 inch and 10 inch functionally differ and glad to have both. The kindle is great to tote around, for books, to listen to books, iheart in bed on those insomnia-nights. The ipad retina screen is far superior for web-surfing.

As for 3G, bought it for the kindle but not the ipad. Having it has been a lifesaver when run out of books and don't have wifi access.

Back
Top Bottom