Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Other topics (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/)
-   -   Another shrinking product - lite bourbon? (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/another-shrinking-product-lite-bourbon-65076.html)

Janet H 02-11-2013 03:27 PM

Another shrinking product - lite bourbon?

Makers Mark seems to be following the downsizing trend...

Alcohol abuse! Maker's Mark cutting alcohol in its bourbon to meet high demand - NYPOST.com

Midpack 02-11-2013 03:49 PM

Most customers won't even notice the change as a price increase...even though it's the same thing. Like you note, widely practiced consumer marketing 101.

packrat44 02-11-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 1282875)
Most customers won't even notice the change as a price increase...even though it's the same thing. Like you note, widely practiced consumer marketing 101.

Inflation in the market is officially here.

growing_older 02-11-2013 07:24 PM

Does this affect the taxes and bond required for the bottling and transport as well?

Koogie 02-11-2013 08:27 PM

First Twizzlers got smaller and now this... my happiness is besieged from all sides.

kyounge1956 02-12-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

I think lowering the alcohol content is even sneakier than the common practice of reducing the weight per package, while leaving the size of the container the same. Shame on them!

ziggy29 02-12-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyounge1956 (Post 1283114)
I think lowering the alcohol content is even sneakier than the common practice of reducing the weight per package, while leaving the size of the container the same. Shame on them!

It's yet another way to introduce inflation that doesn't find its way into the CPI. Yay.

Koolau 02-12-2013 01:02 PM

Maybe I'm the only one who thought about this 25 years ago when so-called "light" beers became widely available. "No alcohol" beers (for folks who don't tolerate it) I could see. But selling beer with less alcohol and, (no matter what they say) less "taste" for premium prices always struck me as the height of the flim-flam marketing complex. Give me one "real" beer and you can have your two light beers. Had some German beer (in Germany) and it was amazing stuff. True, you had to keep it to a couple or three in an evening (not the sort of stuff you chug as it was over 10% v/v alcohol).

I feel the same way about "low cal" stuff in general. I understand the concept. I'm sure these products work for some folks. Still, I would argue that the items you eat for the pure enjoyment (think cheese cake and potato chips) do not taste nearly as good once you take the fat out. Most of these food items cost more than their full bodied (full flavored) "equivalents". I think I can just eat less of the "good" stuff. End of rant. YMMV

Janet H 02-12-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Yeah - I completely agree. It's sort of like getting into your moms sherry and then replacing it with water so she won't notice. The forthright thing to do is to raise the price.

Midpack 02-12-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

I agree, but they know all too well that most customers won't notice a small change in proof, most (regular) customers would notice a price increase. Same thing the cereal companies have done as you noted. First they reduce weight/package and "we" don't notice at least on the shelves (many probably open the box when we get home and notice the package is no where near full). And then in a few years when everyone has forgotten what the former weight was, they will reduce the size of the box to save on freight and tell us "new improved, green packaging." but the customer will compare weights before and after and conclude, "good, we're still getting the same weight."

Ain't marketing grand?

Dawg52 02-12-2013 01:58 PM

MM is good stuff, but I'm mainly a cold beer guy. When I'm in the mood for bourbon, I buy the cheaper stuff like Old Forester. I asked my nephew once(owns a restaurant) if many order Old Forester. He said a few......mainly old guys.:laugh:

heeyy_joe 02-14-2013 11:13 AM

Could also be an attempt to increase sales of Maker's 46?

jon-nyc 02-14-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Worse than a price increase - these guys are watering down their product. You can't undo that by paying extra. Had they raised the prices, you could still enjoy (uncut) Makers, just by paying more.

brewer12345 02-14-2013 11:25 AM

I don't much care for MM (much prefer anything made by Heaven Hill), but I sure hope this does not start a trend among bourbon makers.

FIREd 02-14-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg52 (Post 1283230)
MM is good stuff, but I'm mainly a cold beer guy.

Careful, they might start watering down your meds.;)

Dawg52 02-14-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIREd (Post 1283980)
Careful, they might start watering down your meds.;)

My lite beer is already watered down. Just have to drink more.

Midpack 02-15-2013 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon-nyc (Post 1283971)
Worse than a price increase - these guys are watering down their product. You can't undo that by paying extra. Had they raised the prices, you could still enjoy (uncut) Makers, just by paying more.

All true, but again they're betting (from experience) that most customers won't notice any difference...

packrat44 02-15-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewer12345 (Post 1283973)
I don't much care for MM (much prefer anything made by Heaven Hill), but I sure hope this does not start a trend among bourbon makers.

I agree with your preference for products by Heaven Hill. My favorite is Evan Williams - good taste; modest price. This is a LBYMs bourbon.

John Galt III 02-16-2013 07:33 AM

I agree that "watering down" is the appropriate term here. They're apparently adding a few gallon(s) of h20 to every barrel, which of course also reduces alcohol content, and flavor.

I was a Heaven Hill fan back in my college days, since it was cheap. Tasted just fine.

Midpack 02-16-2013 08:32 AM

I keep hearing that I have to try Pappy Van Winkle, one of these days...