Sunday will never be the same.....

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
No this is not a post about Spanky And Our Gang's hit single from the 60s.
But finally, this Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 is the first Sunday since I retired (retired Sept. 30) that does not feel like a Sunday felt when I worked. When I worked, Sunday (especially Sunday evenings) was one of my least favorite days since I dreaded going back to work. Ironically, I felt that way even if Monday was a holiday and I was off. Now, life is good!:dance: People ask me what have I done to fill the void in my life now that I don't w@rk. I tell then the job WAS the void!!

Reminds me of an earlier thread, called What's your favorite thing about not having to go to w*rk:confused:
The "Sunday Evening Blues" was a big one--when I'd begin to think (if not earlier that short weekend) about what needs to get done first come Monday morning, and other w*rk coming up that week. Nowadays my motto is, as someone here, I think, said long ago: Everyday is Saturday!

And here I am with major Sunday blues. It really is time to jump ship! Enjoy your Monday FIREd ones!

Imagine my Sunday evening blues. I have to work Sunday nights and in 15 minutes I'm hopping into my car for the 55 minute commute. Talk about depressing. :)

Reminds me of something one of my friends used to say. Every day is a holiday and every weekend is a honeymoon.

Know what you mean.....

My last workday was January 4th 2013 and it is maybe just today that I am REALLY beginning to appreciate that I will NOT have to go back...
EVER!!!!

and that this is NOT a dream I will wake up to tomorrow morning!!

I LOVE being ER'd!!!!!!! I will NEVER hate the ticking "60 Minutes" stopwatch again!!!!

I have ten weeks to go before I can start loving Sunday nights. And love them I will!

But finally, this Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 is the first Sunday since I retired (retired Sept. 30) that does not feel like a Sunday felt when I worked. When I worked, Sunday (especially Sunday evenings) was one of my least favorite days since I dreaded going back to work. Ironically, I felt that way even if Monday was a holiday and I was off. Now, life is good!:dance: People ask me what have I done to fill the void in my life now that I don't w@rk. I tell then the job WAS the void!!

Isn't that great? This is my fourth year of retirement, and yet I truly, fully appreciate each Sunday so much, for that same reason. I don't think that great feeling will ever wear off.

Dont know if you have noticed yet, but Monday mornings are pretty good, too. :D

My friend and I call Sunday nights "Ed Sullivan" nights, 'coz as kids when the show was over it meant we had to go to bed and go to school the next morning. I gave my 2 weeks notice this past Friday; first thing he said to me" "In 2 weeks no more Ed Sullivans for you."

Isn't that great? I don't think that great feeling will ever wear off.

Dont know if you have noticed yet, but Monday mornings are pretty good, too. :D

For those of us still w*rking experience at least Friday is a high:).

I had a Pakistani friend who called Sunday the "day of mourning". He was so dramatic about it that it's the only Urdu phrase I remember. :)

The Sunday night funk was what first made me start thinking about retirement. Just ten years ago, i loved Sunday evenings because I so looked forward to the upcoming work week. That concept seems so foreign to me now.

DH and i started a tradition of eating at a nearby Mexican restaurant on Sunday evenings so i could enjoy a margarita or two to ease the dread. That did help a bit, but retirement REALLY helped. We now stay home Sunday evenings and I am all grins.

Often on Sunday evenings, besides thinking/worrying about the w*rk coming the next day and the rest of the week, for me there would also be preparing a "sack lunch." Hey!, in hindsight, making my own lunches was one major item that allowed me to ER three years ago. In my 30-some years of w*rking, aside from the occasional "going out with the office gang to celebrate something" lunch, I brought my own lunch to work some 95% of the time. I observed others thru those years going out for lunch a lot more often than me.

Also on Sunday evenings I would have to gather my w*rk clothes for the next day.

Then, particularly in the later years of my j*b--I found myself taking home more homew*rk. That was because of a combination of my many years of experience, given more responsibility and things to do (and pay), and being expected to deliver. I'd w*rk on these weekend projects. So, like some of my younger high school and college Sundays, I would dread the coming Monday if I felt I had not done quite enough that weekend.

Today, I don't do or worry about any of the above. I go to bed whenever; I wake up whenever. I have not set an alarm clock in ages. Like I said: Everyday is Saturday!

Sunday Evening Blues and Sunday Night Funk sound so dreary. But Sunday Night Funky Blues sounds like a night on the town with no Monday worries. :dance:

Last edited:
Saturday and Sunday are the days I avoid going out on now. Let all the worker drones have their turn. I get the other five days.

Ouch, I'm still working and the part in red the part in red sure hits a raw nerve , even with a good boss (at this current time). Hope to be in the "Sunday does not feel like Sunday" :dance:situation by this time next year.

Saturday and Sunday are the days I avoid going out on now. Let all the worker drones have their turn. I get the other five days.

+1 Since retirement, the wife and I really try to avoid going out anywhere on Saturdays and Sundays unless we're attending some event that only happens on the weekends..

I was talking to my husband about this.
I dread Mondays even more because I have a conference call with India on Monday nights... and I really hate these calls. So Sunday I dread going to work on Monday... and at work and during dinner, I'm dreading these calls.

I can't wait for that feeling of dread to be in the rear view mirror.

I was talking to my husband about this.
I dread Mondays even more because I have a conference call with India on Monday nights... and I really hate these calls. So Sunday I dread going to work on Monday... and at work and during dinner, I'm dreading these calls.

I can't wait for that feeling of dread to be in the rear view mirror.

OMG, I can remember such dreaded overseas calls in the middle of the night. :nonono::nonono: They are in my rear view mirrow now - for sure!

I LOVE Sundays now. I think how uncrowded every road will be the next day as others go back to work!

I changed my work schedule so I have every Monday off.
It's nice having a 3 day weekend every week.

Most people at my work opt for getting out early and work 5 days a week.
I'd rather stay late and get an extra day off.

The downside is holidays don't mean much to me.

Back
Top Bottom