Anyone subscribing to the "Eat to Live" lifestyle?

twolfy

Recycles dryer sheets
I realize now that this eating lifestyle popularized by Dr Joel Fuhrman has been around for a while but it just came to my attention as I picked up a copy of his book recently at the library. My mom always used to say you should eat to live not live to eat so my interest was peaked when I saw the book title. I'm just in the second chapter of the book and it is making me reevaluate my eating style. Eating more fruits and many more green leafy vegetables. Not sure I could totally give up all animal protein, ie meats, fish and dairy. Looking to dramatically cut those down while upping my fruits and vegetables. Has anyone gone fully over to this eating lifestyle? So confusing out there, something is good for you then later its bad for you then good again or part is good etc etc. (Commedienne Lewis Black does a great skit on this by the way). Moderation and variety have been the mainstays for me but curious what others have thought about "Eat to Live" .

I have moved more toward an "eat to live" lifestyle but it is nothing like what he proposes. I now eat more fat and animal protean. And far less grain.

No eating, no fuel, no life. So I eat to live.

I read his book and believe there is a lot to what he says. Recent research seems to confirm that heart disease is preventable in most cases by eating a plant based diet. He is a little more flexible than some in that he does say it is OK to have some limited animal products in your diet, but very small quantities. I haven't switched over 100% but eat mostly fruit, vegetables, salads, beans, nuts, whole grains. It sounds bland but you would be amazed on the tasty dishes you can come up with. And except for nuts, whole grains, and some starchy vegetables there are no limits on how much you can eat so you never feel like you're starving. I've seen the pounds drop off with little effort and although my vital blood test numbers were already in the normal range except for glucose (borderline high), I have seen improvement in all the numbers (i.e. blood pressure, LDL/HDL, glucose, and triglycerides).

Last edited:
...(snip)... Moderation and variety have been the mainstays for me but curious what others have thought about "Eat to Live" .
Maybe I've indirectly absorbed some of these Dr. X's thoughts out there. But I think just "moderation and variety" are my mainstays. We try for a decent "Mediterranean style" diet. Plus plenty of daily exercise.

I started Dr Furhman's program in the Spring of 1997, and had all my health numbers change in a good way - lost 25 pounds in 2 months, cholesterol way down, blood pressure down. I felt a lot better too - physically, emotionally, mentally. Trying to do his lifestyle is a mainstay in my FIRE plans; I'm trying to stay healthy to enjoy FIRE, and also to keep the medical expenses down.

The challenge for me is to continue his program when everything around me screams to eat things not on the plan. I am not perfect. I must admit I go have some Mexican food from time to time, but I am still way better than I was in my "Heart Attack Waiting to Happen" days before 1997.

If someone has any interest at all, recommend that they do the plan 100% for six weeks. I think they will be amazed at the results. Then, they can better decide how they want to eat. I'm truly glad I tried it.

I read his book and believe there is a lot to what he says. Recent research seems to confirm that heart disease is preventable in most cases by eating a plant based diet. He is a little more flexible than some in that he does say it is OK to have some limited animal products in your diet, but very small quantities. I haven't switched over 100% but eat mostly fruit, vegetables, salads, beans, nuts, whole grains. It sounds bland but you would be amazed on the tasty dishes you can come up with. And except for nuts, whole grains, and some starchy vegetables there are no limits on how much you can eat so you never feel like you're starving. I've seen the pounds drop off with little effort and although my vital blood test numbers were already in the normal range except for glucose (borderline high), I have seen improvement in all the numbers (i.e. blood pressure, LDL/HDL, glucose, and triglycerides).

Thanks. That's why I was asking. It seemed to be good ideas and I'm looking for something that will help with weight control as long as I cannot exercise rigorously anymore due to an injury

I started Dr Furhman's program in the Spring of 1997, and had all my health numbers change in a good way - lost 25 pounds in 2 months, cholesterol way down, blood pressure down. I felt a lot better too - physically, emotionally, mentally. Trying to do his lifestyle is a mainstay in my FIRE plans; I'm trying to stay healthy to enjoy FIRE, and also to keep the medical expenses down.

The challenge for me is to continue his program when everything around me screams to eat things not on the plan. I am not perfect. I must admit I go have some Mexican food from time to time, but I am still way better than I was in my "Heart Attack Waiting to Happen" days before 1997.

If someone has any interest at all, recommend that they do the plan 100% for six weeks. I think they will be amazed at the results. Then, they can better decide how they want to eat. I'm truly glad I tried it.

Glad to hear you have had good results. I might need to go out on the open market to get HI and I would like to make sure my numbers are as good as they can get. Plus, maybe it just is time for a change!

I have moved more toward an "eat to live" lifestyle but it is nothing like what he proposes. I now eat more fat and animal protean. And far less grain.

Yeah, I'm not sure I can go full tilt but , but I know just increasing my fruits and vegetables a great deal will be helpful.

"Eat to live" sounds like a slogan to live by, not a diet per se.

I naturally gravitate toward fruits, vegetables and whole/less-processed foods. But I also have a terrible sweet tooth, which I'm trying to control/defy. I think once I stop craving sweet stuff, I'll naturally "eat healthy" without having to over-analyze my meals in other ways.

Amethyst

I am vegetarian and love fruits as well veggies. There is an amazing variety of spices from all over the world, if you find it bland. I try to avoid processed foods and go easy on sugar. But never have to control portion sizes and I really enjoy my food. So you can say I live to eat :)So far it has served me well.

After reading Fuhrman's book last summer, i got all inspired and followed the advice faithfully...until we went to FL for a week. Took another month to get back into it, then we went to New England for a couple weeks. Vacation mode apparently makes me weak.

Now, i follow it about 80% of the time. There has been some weight loss and i feel better about the choices i am making. At home, cooking, i pretty much stick to vegan. When we eat out, i feel entitled to cheat....and, i do. (even a burger now and again). Call me semi-committed.

I loaned the book to a friend who has a passion for studying nutrition since suffering two heart attacks and a brain bleed. He thought it rubbish.

Best thing i took away (and stuck with) is cutting out almost all processed stuff at home. First i typed ALL, then remembered the bag of Fritos. When i put my hand in it, a bunch of them jumped into it and my hand jumped to my mouth.

Accepting responsibility for my poor choices should be a new goal.

Yes, I eat the same way that Donheff does. Eliminating fat and protein from your diet is a very bad idea.......ideally, around 50-60% of the calories you consume should come from healthy fats. Check out some of the Paleo websites (Chris Kresser, Marks Daily Apple, etc) for more info. on this way of eating.

Eliminating fat and protein from your diet is a very bad idea.......

What makes you think the Eat to Live diet eliminates fats and protein? The emphasis is on eating high nutrient foods. The right mix of nuts, seeds, beans, fruits, and vegetables will give you all the fats and proteins you need in addition to all the other beneficial nutrients that come with them.

The surgeon that implanted my new hip gave me the book saying he edorses it and lives by it. He is in fabulous physical shape. I have upped my intake of veggies and fruit, but not gone full tilt with the book's recommendations. I had my annual physical today and maybe when I meet with my Doc in two weeks to go over the results, I'll have more incentive to move up a notch with the program. Giving up Mexican food will be tough, for sure!

I went on this diet faithfully for three months. Felt better with more energy and less stomach distress. I still try to follow the regimen but not as strictly. Some of the issues/weaknesses I had:
1. While I could tolerate soy milk I could never finish it before it expired.
2. Missed dairy products. Fake cheese is tasteless.
3. Eating out was nearly impossible. You could have Thai food with tofu but how about the sauce?
4. Hard to follow while DW ate regular food - pizza and burgers etc.
5. Meat substitutes are tasteless also, and it is still processed.
6. It is expensive, especially if DW has different meals.

I know it is an annoying info-mercial, but I really like the NutriBullet to increase fruit and vegetables. You make a shake out of half leafy vegetables (I like spinach and kale), half fruit (banana, strawberry, peach), small amount of seed (flax, sunflower, almond), and buzz with water or juice to liquify. That is my daily lunch and I love it.

Last edited:
Instead of soy milk try almond vanilla.

I went on this diet faithfully for three months. Felt better with more energy and less stomach distress. I still try to follow the regimen but not as strictly. Some of the issues/weaknesses I had:
1. While I could tolerate soy milk I could never finish it before it expired.
2. Missed dairy products. Fake cheese is tasteless.
3. Eating out was nearly impossible. You could have Thai food with tofu but how about the sauce?
4. Hard to follow while DW ate regular food - pizza and burgers etc.
5. Meat substitutes are tasteless also, and it is still processed.
6. It is expensive, especially if DW has different meals.

I know it is an annoying info-mercial, but I really like the NutriBullet to increase fruit and vegetables. You make a shake out of half leafy vegetables (I like spinach and kale), half fruit (banana, strawberry, peach), small amount of seed (flax, sunflower, almond), and buzz with water or juice to liquify. That is my daily lunch and I love it.

What makes you think the Eat to Live diet eliminates fats and protein? The emphasis is on eating high nutrient foods. The right mix of nuts, seeds, beans, fruits, and vegetables will give you all the fats and proteins you need in addition to all the other beneficial nutrients that come with them.

I disagree. Protein in animal products is (generally) more beneficial in a number of ways to protein found in plant products (that doesn't mean you shouldn't eat plants that contain protein......only that if you are not eating animal products (especially red meat), you are not getting the highest quality source of protein). Here is a link to ChrisKresser.com, and an excerpt from his article on nourishing your body:

9 Steps to Perfect Health – #2: Nourish Your Body

Know your protein

Protein is mostly found in animal products, seafood, nuts, legumes and grains. Legumes and grains have toxic compounds that can damage the gut. These toxins can be partially and in some cases completely neutralized by traditional preparation methods like soaking, sprouting and fermenting. But the vast majority of people in modern industrial societies don’t do this and aren’t willing to do it, so I generally recommend that people avoid them altogether.
As I explained above, nuts are often high in omega-6 LA, which we get far too much of as it is. So nuts should not constitute a significant source of protein. Walnuts are especially high. Just 100g of walnuts a day amounts to a whopping 266g of omega-6 per week. Keeping in mind that we want a 1:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3, you’d have to eat 34 pounds of salmon a week to achieve a balance. Good luck with that.
Poultry, especially dark meat with the skin on, can also be very high in omega-6 and should also be limited. For example, chicken skin has about 14 times more omega-6 than even grain-finished beef, and 10 times more than grain-finished pork.
That leaves the meat and milk (including butter, cream and cheese) of ruminant animals (beef & lamb), pork, and seafood as the most suitable sources of protein. Animal protein is easy to absorb, is not toxic and is rich in beneficial long-chain saturated fats and natural trans-fats like CLA. Seafood is similarly easy to absorb, and is the primary dietary source of long-chain omega-3 fats DHA & EPA, as well as micronutrients like vitamin D and selenium.
We don’t need a pyramid for protein; you can simply follow the fat pyramid and you’ll naturally get the right type and amount of protein.

The same article has a section on fats, and why saturated fats (from animal products) are nothing to be afraid of, contrary to conventional diet teaching.

Also, the most nutrient-dense foods you can find are animal products (beef liver and eggs are the two most nutrient-dense). So if you are not eating animal products, you are certainly not eating the most nutrient-dense foods.

Don't get me wrong, I eat LOTS of vegetables, for their numerous health benefits. But any diet that advises eliminating or minimizing consumption of red meat and healthy fats found in animal products is misguided, in my view.

Plants have protein. Just like animals. No different.

I am a convert. A little over a year ago i started watching all the movies on netflix. Forks Over Knives , Food INC, Gerson Miracle, etc

I'm probably one of the radicals. I'm vegan now and with that I'm prob 60-70% raw food. Google raw foodies and start watching videos.

I'm a different person now. Had 308 cholesterol, now 162 without pharmaceutical intervention. Lost 45 pounds without trying. my energy, mental acuity, and stamina are like im in college again.

but most importantly my body started changing. My IBS which I suffered from is GONE. The acid reflux - GONE. (Anyone with bad GERD will tell u it sux), my psoriasis - GONE. (The psoriasis started really going way when I really started juicing and eating more raw food), Acne - gone,

Depression, gone.

In fact food has had such a dramatic impact in my life that you just wouldn't believe it if u didnt know me or didn't see me.

I could write 5 pages more but u all get the point.

"Real" food changed my life.

Last edited:

Also, the most nutrient-dense foods you can find are animal products (beef liver and eggs are the two most nutrient-dense). So if you are not eating animal products, you are certainly not eating the most nutrient-dense foods.

4_003_Nutrient_Density_Chart_PAGE.jpg

So watercress is 47 times as nutrient-dense as beef, eh?
Remarkable.

I know some people actually believe this, but it's way too far out on the fringe for me.

Humans are omnivores.

Hard to argue with eating more veggies, and to a lesser extent, fruits. But the anti-meat, pro-wheat slant reeks of political influence/correctness, and doesn't really seem to have much science to back it...

Back
Top Bottom