Anyone going to bike week 2013?

cjacks

Dryer sheet aficionado
Anyone else going to bike week? I just retired last week. The weather here in northeast Ohio has really been lousy. So I got to thinking what the heck, I have no other commitments, why not go someplace a lot warmer and do something I enjoy. I am going to trailer my bike to Columbia, S.C. And then ride to Palm Coast from there. The trip is about 1000 miles one way. In my younger days I could make the entire trip on my bike in one day. But I have to admit it was a brutal ride. I haven't been to bike week for about 5 years.
I am curious if there are any other motorcyclists in the forum? I will be staying in the Palm Coast area during bike week. While I plan to take in some of the sights in Daytona I prefer the calmer side of things in the Flagler / St Augustine area. My favorite ride is A1A between St Augustine and Ormond Beach. I have been motorcycling all my life and have made many friends thru my hobby. I would really enjoy hearing from anyone on the forum who might share this interest.

Nooooo!:hide:

Despite the warm weather, large crowds, heavy traffic and general rowdiness outweigh it. Every first-hand report or magazine article tells me that is not a time I would want to be in that place.

Walt34,
Those are all fairly accurate things you have heard and read. However, for those of us that have been cooped up in the throws of a cold Ohio winter it isn't as bad as it seems.
One of the secrets is to know what areas to avoid and when to visit the crowded places. I have never felt crowded on the 40 miles of A1A between St Augustine and Daytona. And the ocean scenery is fabulous. There is a nice shady watering hole at Flagler where you can leisurely watch the bikes come and go. These days bike week is spread over a vast area. Yes, Main Street and the speedway are very crowded but there are times of the day and week when it's not as crowded. I usually visit the big Harley shop early in the morning.
Florida is a big place and many bikers use Daytona as a starting place. Many times we headed off to Key West or other southernly places. I do pretty much avoid the speedway area which is the most crowded and of least interest to me.
And for the most part the rowdies spend 90% of their time in the bars which is also no interest to me.
But, I can certainly understand bike week is not for everyone.

Last edited:
I've been riding for more than 40 years and just one 'Harley' gives me a headache never mind 300,000. No thanks.:cool:

Walt34,
Those are all fairly accurate things you have heard and read. However, you did not mention if you rode a motorcycle? For those of us that have been cooped up in the throws of a cold Ohio winter it isn't as bad as it seems.
One of the secrets is to know what areas to avoid and when to visit the crowed places. I have never felt crowded on the 40 miles of A1A between St Augustine and Daytona. And the ocean scenery is fabulous. There is a nice shady watering hole at Flagler where you can leisurely watch the bikes come and go. These days bike week is spread over a vast area. Yes, Main Street and the speedway are very crowded but there are times of the day and week when it's not as crowded. I usually visit the big Harley shop early in the morning.
Florida is a big place and many bikers use Daytona as a starting place. Many times we headed off to Key West or other southernly places. I do pretty much avoid the speedway area which is the most crowded and of least interest to me.
And for the most part the rowdies spend 90% of their time in the bars which is also no interest to me.
But, I can certainly understand bike week is not for everyone.

See Walt's avatar...he's got a nice bike.

R

We were in FL on a family vacation a number of years ago and ended up in Daytona when it was bike week. Interesting people watching. DS was probably 14 or so and got a few eyefuls of female anatomy as we walked along. :D

Pb4uski,
I have to admit there is an element that makes one lose faith in humanity at times. However, I have been told by several hotel managers that bike week isn't even close to spring break when it comes to nudity and drinking. The majority of bikers are good people. Whenever you add alcohol with 1 million people there will be some problems. Again, i realize bike week is not for everyone.

62 yo lifetimer here, but I am in the opposite corner of the country and don't get a buzz off big crowds. Lately i am moving toward adventure riding [yamaha wr250r] and single track + offroad poker runs [ktm 200 exc] but still do 3 - 4k miles per summer on the Ducati st4s. Love it.

I have a weeklong Moab trip slated for early April with 7 other riders.

Pb4uski,
I have to admit there is an element that makes one lose faith in humanity at times. However, I have been told by several hotel managers that bike week isn't even close to spring break when it comes to nudity and drinking. The majority of bikers are good people. Whenever you add alcohol with 1 million people there will be some problems. Again, i realize bike week is not for everyone.

I was thinking about going to Daytona Beach on the 10th because it's supposed to be very nice beach weather and i've been staying with family less than 100 miles away. I wanted to go because of spring break but then found out about bike week a few days ago. The crowds will be horrible and the noise from the bikes will be intolerable. Maybe i'll go to Cocoa Beach instead.

Biker dude,
I currently ride a Harley Road King but I rode and restored bmw's for years. My previously owned bmw's included R69, R69s, R75, R90s, R1100rt, R1150rt,R1150r, R1200c, k1200lt,and last but not least my favorite R1100s. The only one I didn't like was the K bike
I belonged to the Akron BMW club for several years. I have also owned Honda's, a couple Yamaha's, and other Harley's
I understand all the negativity that surrounds bike week. I just like to ride. We went to myrtle beach for several years until it turned into a big mess. We found if we stayed north of Flagler it was tolerable. We really like St Augustine a lot. The best part is, it is not exciting enough for the crazies.
I have really enjoyed the retirement forum and was just trying to find out who else is into motorcycling.
CJ

I ride a Fat Boy Lo. Won't make Bike Week this year but will be at Sturgis. Next year Az Bike Week, Laughlin, and maybe the one in Austin and also down in the Ozarks.

JDARNELL

I am going. I have tickets for Flat track race on Friday evening. Will be staying in Deland, Fl. I think the bike my buddy has for me to ride is a Suzuki Bandit 1200. Most days will be ride away from Daytona.

My roadtrip bike is Yamaha Vstar 1100. Off rode Suzuki DR650 and Yamaha xt250.

Picture is Mosquito Pass going from Fairplay to Leadville Co.

Attachments

• IMG_1994.jpg
    IMG_1994.jpg
    767.5 KB · Views: 4
If you can't make it to Daytona, wait a bit and come to my Florida Hometown...

Leesburg... for Bikefest 2013... Apr. 27, 27, and 28.

We were there for Bikefest #1 with about 5,000 in attendance. I think last year, the total was 200,000+ Cyclists.
Less wild, more older riders, no trouble, and the town loves bikers. Here's the 2012 video. :dance:
Look for me doing the one foot wheelie.

2012 Leesburg Bikefest ROCKS!!! - YouTube

... and the initial 2013 website.
Leesburg Bikefest - 17th Annual Leesburg Bikefest

Last edited:
I ride and live less than 100 miles from Daytona Beach. For 40 years I have only gone one time. That was enough. It just wasn't an attraction for me. I don't care for the crowds or the hassle of gridlock. If I get the urge I may ride down to Destination Daytona in Ormond Beach just north of Daytona at the end of BikeWeek for the vendor displays.

FWIW I only went to Daytona Beach on Spring Break once back in the late 60s. Been there - done that too.

Cheers!

Nah, I ain't goin... I've been to Sturgis and Laconia a bunch of times. I tried to go to Daytona twice in my life, and both times catastrophic events kept me from going. I figure it just isn't meant to be....

I'm in my early 40s and have been on some form of motorcycle/dirt bike since I was 6, so I'm definitely a lifer (see my screen name?). When I was younger, I loved the crowds, the partying, the ladies, the riding, the excitement and the craziness. The stories I could tell, lol! It's funny, twenty years ago Laconia was a zoo and pretty much out of control. These days it's more like a giant carnival, much more tame, and that's fine with me as I'm much more tame now too!

It is unlikely I will go to any more of the crowded destinations. I would rather go when it's not going on and enjoy the ride/scenery and pay much less for accomodations. Sturgis was beautiful, the white mountains in new hampshire are also awesome, and I've ridden that rt 1 to the keys on a bike, and yeah, fantastic as well.

Now...if you wanna do a ride to alaska in the summer, hit me up!

-Pan

By the way, I've owned and ridden all kinds of bikes, crazy long hardtail choppers with no brakes and almost no lights, BSA bobber chopper, Kawasaki turbo bike, 52 pan, but these days, my 87 Softail is my only ride I have left.

We were in FL on a family vacation a number of years ago and ended up in Daytona when it was bike week. Interesting people watching. DS was probably 14 or so and got a few eyefuls of female anatomy as we walked along. :D

You're a good father! :cool:

The Daytona and Sturgis events are precisely the sort circumstances I choose to avoid.

The Barber Vintage Festival, on the other hand was a quality experience that I recommend.

Barber : Home

I go to see the custom bikes and people watch. Everyone is very polite and our guide is a veteran of these events. The detail on the blue bike was incredible. The yellow bike is 632 cu and boasts 1K hp.

Attachments

• IMG_3525.jpg
    IMG_3525.jpg
    787.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3521.jpg
    IMG_3521.jpg
    765.6 KB · Views: 2
Not my style, but I have to give the prize to the blue one; tremendous fabrication talent and design.
Horsepower just hurts mostly, unless you have Bill Gelbke - class beef to haul.

I've been riding for more than 40 years and just one 'Harley' gives me a headache never mind 300,000. No thanks.:cool:

DITTO! Every retired accountant has one here in FL. I preferred the more advanced (technologically) BMW motorcycle and never feel the need to be LOUD.

Himself... I have wanted to taste Blatz beer since the first time I saw that.

Back
Top Bottom