A moving experience

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
The house is in chaos with cartons everywhere, DW in a frenzy, and me just kind of in a numb state of mind. We wrap stuff up today, load the Allied truck tomorrow, and wish the driver well as he takes off with most of our worldly possessions. He will purportedly arrive at our new digs in San Mateo in anywhere from 6-10 days - 2900 miles and change from Tampa

Our one-car-family vehicle arrives a few days later in its own truck (we considered driving ourselves but the 3000 mile trip didn't make financial or personal sense). We'll fly out this weekend and stay with the kids until our truck shows up.

I'll check in from time to time and will try to come up with a new screen name by the time we settle in. Hasta la vista.

Rich, best wishes on the move to your new home in CA. I think it was a good idea to fly instead of driving to San Mateo unless you had never done it. My wife and I were just talking the other day about how much we hate any long distance driving. To see our son in Naples, about 150 miles, is far enough. Again, best wishes and hope the moving van has a safe trip also.

Woo, hoo! Maybe we can get together the next time I visit my daughter in Los Altos.

Best wishes with the move, Rich.

I remember when we sold our house in Ballwin, MO almost 20 years ago. The movers came a few days later, packed up our possessions and left. It would take a few days for them to get to our house in TX. After they left with our stuff, we had to stay a couple of days in a motel. Even though we had a house in TX, we felt homeless. :p

When we arrived at our home in TX, we had to sleep on the floor. However, we had sleeping bags...but were more than delighted when we got our furniture three days later.

Glad y'all can stay with the kids. Sleeping bags aren't too bad when one is in their 30s, but I have a feeling I'd have a difficult time just rising to a standing position in my 50s.

Hope all goes smoothly......:greetings10:

Best of luck with the move. And enjoy the new home/adventure, I'd love to live out in NoCal, a beautiful area, no end to things to see and do!

We did a similar move in 2011 from NJ to CO. Take a deep breath and relax. You've probably done all you can to ensure a smooth move - now let your planning bear fruit.

Things will go wrong. But in a few months, looking back, they'll probably seem minor.

All the best & enjoy the experience.

We may walk past each other in SFO: I am flying out of there on Friday.

Maybe your arrival will be the catalyst for a Bay Area meetup.

Safe travels, sir.

Congratulations on the start of a new chapter. Long distance moves are scary but setting up in a new place with a brand new set of new adventures ahead of you is worth the hassel !

Sounds like a big and expensive move. The move will make you Middle Class_ in_San Mateo. Best of luck for the move and the new hippie life in California.

Rich, we are so excited for you but will miss knowing that you were at least near our neck if the woods! Safe travels and all that!
Can't wait for your updates on settling in cross-country!

It will be so nice when everything gets settled in the new place and you have those grandchildren nearby. Also, all the new places to explore. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom