We hate paying HOA fees...364 days a year.

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
As long as I am able, I don't see a need to pay someone to do any home work for me that I can do myself. The exercise is good for me, and HOA isn't LBYM right?

We begrudgingly pay $850/yr, but it only covers the clubhouse, pool, and entrance/common area landscaping maintenance. But we don't plan on an HOA with our next move if we can avoid it.

That said, a full service HOA sounded really good this morning when I was out at 6am today hand shoveling almost a foot of heavy snow (not even the light fluffy stuff) from our driveway, sidewalk & porch. I'm way too cheap to buy a snowblower. But I feel all of 58 today...

:blush:

[edit] Oh great, the county plow truck just came by, so my driveway will be half buried in even heavier chunks of ice in a few minutes. :(

Last edited:
I don't like the HOA fee, either. But it does cover snow removal/mowing/leaf raking (lots of major "seasons" here in MN), and essentials I'd have to pay otherwise like home insurance, major repairs and improvements, water, etc. So I'm content to pay the $355./month.

Ummm.... the HOA is usually made up of the homeowners, and that includes you. You and your fellow homeowners are part of this organization for the common good. I assume that the people who run it are selected by the owners themselves. Thus, you can try to be part of the governing board that runs it, and perhaps change their decisions.

So why hate it? It sounds like it is doing exactly what it was designed to do. Provide services to a group of homeowners who voluntarily joined it when they purchased their home.

Ummm.... the HOA is usually made up of the homeowners, and that includes you. You and your fellow homeowners are part of this organization for the common good. I assume that the people who run it are selected by the owners themselves. Thus, you can try to be part of the governing board that runs it, and perhaps change their decisions.

So why hate it? It sounds like it is doing exactly what it was designed to do. Provide services to a group of homeowners who voluntarily joined it when they purchased their home.
First and foremost, I was making a joke (on myself) more than anything else. :D

FWIW, most of the 800 homeowners don't care either way re: the HOA (it's relatively cheap), so it won't change. When they do surveys, fewer than 20% of homeowners even bother to respond. And the clubhouse, pool, lake, etc. aren't going away - so I wouldn't expect anything to change anyway. I've been to a few meetings, most residents (the minority who show up) don't behave very well...

Last edited:
I'm way too cheap to buy a snowblower. But I feel all of 58 today...

We have a 100' driveway. We shoveled it by hand the first year, and thereafter hired a 'plow guy'. At the time, we figured (correctly, it turned out) it would take 20 years of paying the plow guy to meet just the price of the snowblower we'd need, and we'd still have to run & maintain the blower.

We
Zzzz.gif
very well through his early morning visits.

Tyro

I live in a 56 unit condo development. in mass.

our fees are 200 a month

our fees pay trash/snow removal/insurance(studs out) other insurance(liability etc) management fees-landscaping etc.

also emergency funds collection

$150/mo. 65 individual homes... covers full yard maintenance, snow, exterior lighting as well as a several dinners/picnics each year. All handled by a management service. Excellent work and response. In addition, surpluses above the reserve, have been used to upgrade in a number of ways.

The original homes (all built since 2000) had all exterior doorways doorways and garage doors made of wood, which would normally require periodic painting. These have all been covered with no-maintenance aluminum siding. We also have new "same" mailboxes. All trees have received full care... tree rings w/ mulch, and aerating and tree food. Lawns are golf course grade, uniform and beautiful. The community is on 4 streets with same brick/vinyl siding exterior.

We are able to use the community facilities and services (Apartments-Assisted Living-Nursing Home- Rehabilitation Center - Library - Meeting Rooms - Periodic lectures concerts etc.) and the Community transport bus to shopping and medical facilities.

The overall appearance would be ticky tacky for young individualists who mark their individuality with creative imagination/ decor... For older people in their 70's, 80's and 90's... not so important. "Same" is more comfortable for some of us, as we get older. Plus, tho we love 'em, no kids. :)

At this point, I could still do all of this, and save $1800/yr., but how nice it is to sit and watch the 4 guys with shovels and snowthrowers clear the driveway in 5 minutes, knowing it would have taken me an hour and a half.
Plus, I don't have to buy, maintain, and worst of all "store" 20 pieces of garden and snow equipment. (You'd love my clean, organized, and almost empty two car garage.)
At this very moment, the snow guys are finishing, and we'll be off to our favorite Chinese Restaurant in 15 minutes. :dance:

Last edited:
As long as I am able,...

That said, a full service HOA sounded really good this morning when I was out at 6am today hand shoveling almost a foot of heavy snow (not even the light fluffy stuff) from our driveway, sidewalk & porch. I'm way too cheap to buy a snowblower. But I feel all of 58 today...

[edit] Oh great, the county plow truck just came by, so my driveway will be half buried in even heavier chunks of ice in a few minutes. :(

My next move will be where there is a HOA that can take care of the property. I have done enough and I want to not have to worry while traveling.

We have a 100' driveway. We shoveled it by hand the first year, and thereafter hired a 'plow guy'. At the time, we figured (correctly, it turned out) it would take 20 years of paying the plow guy to meet just the price of the snowblower we'd need, and we'd still have to run & maintain the blower.

We
Zzzz.gif
very well through his early morning visits.

Tyro

Hmmm only 100' lets try my 350' driveway. To make matters worse the blizzard we just had broke the main snowblower I have. I had a small walk behind that was able to get through it. Oh how I can't wait to move to a place where all I have to do is house work which I help with now mind you. We will share it 50/50 I am sure.

First and foremost, I was making a joke (on myself) more than anything else. :D

Ah... in that case I will lower my defenses. ;)

I don't care for my fees either, but I would not want to have to do all the stuff they do for me each week. As I write, the gardeners are raking leaves, sweeping walkways, etc., and I am reading your inspirational messages on this site. :D

I don't mind paying the HOA fees for things like snow removal or lawn care.

But some of the ticky-tacky things, I'd rather the fees be saved. I guess one person's necessity is another person's splurge :blush:

As I see it, there are three choices when it comes to mowing and/or snow removal.

(1) HOA fees

(2) Do it yourself

(3) Hiring someone to regularly do it.

For me, choice (2) is eliminated from consideration because I do not want to do it and I don't have to. Of the other two choices, personally I like choice (3). I think that often it is cheaper, and I am the boss. I can choose someone who I think does a good job for a good price. Just this morning, while reading the thread, my lawn guy and his helper arrived and did their usual excellent job of mowing and edging and I have to admit that it is wonderful to have someone to do all this.

As I see it, there are three choices when it comes to mowing and/or snow removal.

(1) HOA fees

(2) Do it yourself

(3) Hiring someone to regularly do it.

For me, choice (2) is eliminated from consideration because I do not want to do it and I don't have to. Of the other two choices, personally I like choice (3). I think that often it is cheaper, and I am the boss. I can choose someone who I think does a good job for a good price. Just this morning, while reading the thread, my lawn guy and his helper arrived and did their usual excellent job of mowing and edging and I have to admit that it is wonderful to have someone to do all this.
I agree. I'll go with 2 until I can't/don't want to, then on to 3. Despite today's experience, I just don't like being locked in to 1. YMMV

I feel fortunate to own a house with no HOA and no Mello Roos (A California thing that is even worse than HOAs.)

We do it ourselves. Or pay our kids. And we send our kids out to be hired by neighbors to mow their lawns.

When I lived in snow country, I did it myself. Didn't like it - but was too cheap.

I own 8 rental townhouses - all with HOA's.

Typical fee is $160-200/month which covers lawn care, snow removal, water, sewer, garbage, insurance & outside maintenance which are all things I would have to pay and arrange for myself anyway. Yes, I pay a management company (probably $20-30/mo) as a part of that fee but it's nice to not have to worry about it too.

Also, consider that for options 1 & 3 described above that hopefully the management company is actually able to negotiate a lower fee on services than an individual would with their economies of scale which might come close to covering their extra management fee.

Snow :confused: Oh that's that white stuff I've seen pictures of... never even seen a snowblower.

I was upset paying $125/yr to my HOA. It didn't exist when I bought the place and I never signed anything that said I agreed to it. It does pay for the sewage treatment and street lights so payed it.

You guys have no idea how good you have it. We pay $570 a month. And that is considered CHEAP as far as HOA fees go down here! We live by the beach, and that drives everything up, but we hope to move to a house in the next few years.

Our HOA charges are $60...per year. No snow, grass, rattlesnake or chigger removal in our rural subdivision, just street lights at four intersections, plus maintaining the xeriscaping at the entrance.

Our HOA charges are $60...per year. No snow, grass, rattlesnake or chigger removal in our rural subdivision, just street lights at four intersections, plus maintaining the xeriscaping at the entrance.

Wow...... no expense is too great for you REWahoo!

We pay $20/yr, voluntary. That buys the materials for volunteers to keep the two entrance areas to our suburban subdivision landscaped and tidy.

And bless the volunteers! Dedicated souls that they are, they hold occasional meetings to let us know what is going on with the gov't in our suburban town, organized the Neighborhood Watch group, hold an annual picnic, keep lists of service providers (snow plowing, grass cutting, etc.) that folks have been happy with and that sort of thing.

Why would an HOA mean not LYBM? It totally depends on one's priorities.

We are delighted to have our grounds maintained weekly, and we don't have to even worry about supervising.

We gave up lawn maintenance when went full time RV back in 2005. We don't plan to live anywhere where we have to worry about our lawn maintenance ever again.

My next move will be where there is a HOA that can take care of the property. I have done enough and I want to not have to worry while traveling.
+1!

P.S. We do have to do our own rattlesnake removal. Which reminds me - we need to order those snake tongs...

Last edited:
Why would an HOA mean not LYBM? It totally depends on one's priorities.

We are delighted to have our grounds maintained weekly, and we don't have to even worry about supervising.

We gave up lawn maintenance when went full time RV back in 2005. We don't plan to live anywhere where we have to worry about our lawn maintenance ever again.

+1!
You're not the first on this thread, so my bad. I guess my [sarcasm][/sarcasm] entry didn't take...:flowers:

I only lived up north (Janesville, WI) for one year, through one winter. I was 51 yrs old at the time (55 now). However, after shoveling the snow off the driveway & sidewalks (required by the city or else $200 fine) I drove directly to Home Depot & bought a snowblower. Had never seen one before (besides on tv) but I'm here to tell you that if I EVER live up north again, the first day I arrive in town, before I even unpack my bags, I will be buying a snowblower. No question about it, whatsoever! I had a 3-car wide driveway and quite a bit of sidewalk, and that snowblower was a miraculous thing, worth every penny I it costs!:LOL:

We don't plan to live anywhere where we have to worry about our lawn maintenance ever again.

This shouldn't be a problem. From what I've seen, you'd really have to move to a remote place to have problems locating a reliable lawn service.

Despite doing most everything around the house myself for years, even I caved and now use a lawn service so we can be away without concern.

HOA can be good or bad. As was said, most seem to be open to more HO involvement (if not pleading for anyone to take an interest & help!). And when HOA falls apart it can be bad for the neighborhood, like loss of facilities to local city or township and often dip in home valuations.
Whether HOA fits with LBYM depends entirely on individual circumstances.

I am the treasurer of our HOA. It consists of 800 single family homes in a 55 and over community. Annual HOA budget is $2.3M and monthly dues are $220 and have not been raised in 8 years. In addition we have a fund of $2.7M set aside to replace common elements (e.g. roads, clubhouse, pools, etc.). We are self-managed. That is, we have directly hired staff rather than contracting with a management company.

It takes a lot of time and effort by volunteers on the board and committees to operate and maintain our community. Fortunately we have a lot of highly skilled and experienced retired residents who are willing to do this.

Back
Top Bottom