Tax Help for 2013

johnrlawjr

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hello my friends:

I retired last year with an adequate pension and upon turning 62 last Wednesday I decided to apply for early social security. I know that is a controversial decision; however, longevity in my family is not a strong suit.

Using Turbo Tax and my projected Social Security and Pension incomes, I calculated my tax liability for next year. Any work income would be negligible. I also understand with the circus happening in Washington, D.C. rates are always subject to change. If rates stay the same, I project a tax liability of about $3,000.00. I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions on how I can reduce my tax bill. I am a single filer with no home in the 25% bracket. I have no interest in owning a home.

I have a 403b account. Could increase the money that I pay that account. Is it possible now that I am retired? Would that increase that amount that I have to pay when I reach 70.5 years. Should I just consider myself lucky (which I do) and just pay the tax. Can I increase my withholdings this far into 2013? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You may only contribute to a 403b out of earned income paid by the employer sponsoring the 403b. For example, if you are a teacher and the school district offers a 403b plan, you may contribute a percentage of your income to the 403b pre-tax, thus reducing your tax bill for the year. But now that you're retired, that's over and done. No more contribution to your 403b.

Money from a pension and SS is hard to shelter from being taxed or even to delay having it be taxed. You could donate it to a qualified charity of course, but I don't think that's what you have in mind.

With a tax liability of only $3k, it doesn't sound like you're too far into the 25% bracket. Rather than freting about a few hundred bux in fed taxes one way or the other, why not focus on enjoying your well deserved retirement?

Perhaps someone else will have some ideas for you.......

Last edited:
Youbet just about said it all. If you are healthy and are paying for your health insurance, you could get a high deductible plan, and have a HSA set up. Of course at 65, you would not be able to do this.

Maybe someone else can double check me but if you are in the 25% tax bracket, I can't figure out how your tax liability is only $3,000. Do you have credits to offset this? If so, you may not have a marginal rate of 25% despite being in that "bracket".

If your income is all pension and SS, I can't think of much you can do. If your income includes interest income that you can convert to qualified dividend income that would not be taxed and that might make a difference.

Another idea if you have a high deductible health insurance plan is to make a contributions to a Health Savings Account to lower your AGI and taxable income.

If you have bonds/bond funds that are throwing off taxable dividends then you could change them to tax free muni bonds and avoid paying the feds on that interest.

Maybe someone else can double check me but if you are in the 25% tax bracket, I can't figure out how your tax liability is only $3,000. Do you have credits to offset this? If so, you may not have a marginal rate of 25% despite being in that "bracket".

jebmke.............good catch!

Maybe I made a mistake. I do have a marginal rate of 25%. I thought that was implied by saying I was in the 25% bracket. The 3000 dollar amount was my tax liability after I deducted the FIT that I was already scheduled to pay in the 2013 tax year.

You might want to look at what your future taxes look like when you start taking RMDs. If that pushes you past the 25% bracket (assuming some tax stability) you might actually want to take some now while you can pay just 25%. If you don't really need it, a Roth conversion would be nice. If it's 25% all the way, then a Roth might shelter a bit more value but the gains will probably be small. Might depend on which direction you see tax rates moving.

Maybe I made a mistake. I do have a marginal rate of 25%. I thought that was implied by saying I was in the 25% bracket. The 3000 dollar amount was my tax liability after I deducted the FIT that I was already scheduled to pay in the 2013 tax year.
They are close, but not the same thing. The bracket is the range of income that a tax rate applies to. The marginal rate is what your dollar of income was taxed at. Link.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom