Nothing Like a Good Cup of Tea

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I had a 9:30 morning dental appointment (regular cleaning and examination), then after lunch went to the grocery store and picked up a few things.

At the store (Aldi) I picked up a box of green tea and thought I'd give it a try when I get home. Back in the day, when I was w*rking, I was too much in a rush to sit and relax and drink a good cup of hot tea. Well, that green tea is good stuff! On top of that, I like that the tea bags are individually wrapped to seal it the freshness.

I just might get used to being a green tea drinker. Not only for the health benefits but the feeling is peaceful. :)

Now, I'm looking for a decent tea kettle. Are electric kettles the way to go?

I love my tea (black and green both). I agree it is very comforting. And I swear by my electric kettle although my sister has instant hot water installed in her kitchen. That is even better!

I drink a lot of tea and I have a water boiler like this one:
Amazon.com: Zojirushi CV-DSC40 VE Hybrid Water Boiler and Warmer, Stainless Steel: Home & Kitchen

Instant hot water anytime and it even has a temperature setting for green tea (175F)

If this is too fancy, check out this one:
Amazon.com: Aroma AWK-115S Hot H20 X-Press 1-1/2-Liter Cordless Water Kettle: Kitchen & Dining

I used that one for many years before upgrading. Never had a problem with it.

Green tea is a summer thing for me. I drink mostly black tea in the winter. I think an electric kettle/boiler is the way to go.

Last edited:
Old fashioned tea kettle. Even whistles! Though I'm mostly a coffee addict...

Attachments

• image-1079802868.jpg
    image-1079802868.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 5
Hmmm... I'm just the opposite of the OP. I used to have a cup of tea at work in the morning, and I've gotten out of the habit entirely since I retired. Maybe I should try it again, thanks. [I just put it on next weeks grocery list]

If you like green tea (I did/do), this was my favorite. It has some subtle spice additions that I enjoyed. YMMV

As for brewing/steeping, I'm a cretin. I just put the mug and water in the microwave for 1:40 and drop the tea bag in for 3-4 minutes. :blush: We have an old tea kettle around somewhere, no clue where though...
Experience a refreshing alternative in the exotic world of chai. We’ve crafted this unique blend with carefully selected Organic China Chun Mee Green Tea. A favorite in China for over 400 years, this delicious tea supplies antioxidants that can support the body’s defenses against damaging free radicals. Lively Cinnamon and Ginger combine for true chai flavor, and light, peppery notes of Cardamom round off the full-bodied flavor of this captivating tea. So, when you’re in the mood for something a little different, enjoy the exquisite experience of Yogi’s Chai Green.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions.

I've decided that I definitely don't want to have to plug/unplug a chord each time.

I'll definitely have to look closer at that cordless (sorta :)) one recommended by FIREd.

Otherwise, I can go old fashioned and either microwave or stovetop.

Last edited:
We love, and drink all sorts of tea.

We were delighted some years ago when we finally started seeing cordless electric tea kettles, with auto turn off, appear in USA stores.

Alan said:
We love, and drink all sorts of tea.

We were delighted some years ago when we finally started seeing cordless electric tea kettles, with auto turn off, appear in USA stores.

Every kitchen in the UK has an electric kettle just for boiling water quickly for tea. They are not that common in the US.

Habits developed in childhood never disappear so I drink a lot of tea, usually Earl Grey. I gave my ex wife some jasmine dragon pearl tea for her birthday, that stuff is amazing.

Every kitchen in the UK has an electric kettle just for boiling water quickly for tea.

The same was true in Ireland, where I grew up. I remember that my parents' kitchen had an electric kettle with automatic turnoff throughout my childhood, and that they were extremely common. Perhaps it was because, at that time, Ireland had the biggest per capita consumption of tea in the world.

Perhaps I will have a "Cupan tae glas" (a cup of green tea) to celebrate St. Patrick's Day on Sunday!

PS: It's Paddy's Day, not Patty's Day!

Meadbh said:
The same was true in Ireland, where I grew up. I remember that my parents' kitchen had an electric kettle with automatic turnoff throughout my childhood, and that they were extremely common. Perhaps it was because, at that time, Ireland had the biggest per capita consumption of tea in the world.

I must have heard the sound of kettle whistling, boiling water and the click of the automatic shut off at least ten times a day for the first 25 years of my life.

I did some window shopping (or more correctly, LED screen shopping) at Amazon. It's a learning experience as before today I've never paid attention things such as an electric water kettle but now realize there is so much to choose from. :)

Kettles

Electric kettles are also good for heating water for cooking- if you watch Jamie Oliver - he always puts the kettle on full whack, then pours it into the pot on the stove for pasta, rice etc. I've always wanted to try tea leaves instead of bags, maybe its time to try that out.

We have a stove-top whistling kettle to heat the water and a Japanese cast iron teapot to steep the tea. Currently using loose tea we got from this place:

Online Tea Store | Loose Leaf Tea | The Whistling Kettle

My personal favorite is Lapsang Souchong; I love the smoky flavor.

Variety of tea consumed here. But lately chamomile flowers steeped directly in a cup of hot water in the evening. We're finding chamomile is not only delicious, but relaxes before bedtime for good sleep.

By the way, health news announced today is that 4 cups of green tea or 1 cup of coffee per day significantly reduces the chance of stroke. But all teas have this effect as well. And the more of each per day, the better the protection.

I'm mostly a coffee drinker, so for after all these many years of dire health warnings for coffee drinkers, this finally vindicates us!

I love my tea (black and green both). I agree it is very comforting. And I swear by my electric kettle although my sister has instant hot water installed in her kitchen. That is even better!

Tea can only be brewed with boiling water, not water that is merely hot. Consult any cookbook. This is the reason that it is virtually impossible to order a cup of tea in a restaurant in America and receive something drinkable.

Cordless electric kettle here, and plenty of good tea. Both Mom and I decided electric kettles were essential after spending a month in the UK one summer. We each gave the other one for Xmas!

Murchie's just sent me their notice for St. Paddy's day sale on green tea - 15% off thru Sunday Murchie's Tea & Coffee :cool:

Last edited:
Tea can only be brewed with boiling water, not water that is merely hot. Consult any cookbook. This is the reason that it is virtually impossible to order a cup of tea in a restaurant in America and receive something drinkable.

Very incorrect, that is only true of black and herbal tea, which is generally best brewed at 210-220 degrees, but that is completely wrong for all other types of tea, which are best brewed at temperatures about 25-60 (in the case of white) degrees cooler than boiling. Certain types of green tea will come out extremely bitter if you brew them with overly hot water (or if you brew them too long). I personally don't like the finicky green teas, the taste is not superior for me and a bitter cup of tea tastes pretty bad. Getting a proper temperature is not difficult with an electric kettle, but steeping timing requires more micro-management than I like.

My favorite place to get loose tea is adagio, very wide selection, lots of reviews, and good prices. I use a finum tea basket, which is extremely easy to use and doesn't even require cleaning that often.

Last edited:
We have had an electric kettle for years. It turns off when the water boils. The kettle is cordless which makes it easy to fill and pour from. I was always worried I'd left the burner on when I had a tea kettle on the stove. I love the electric one. I think ours is Krups but as I said, not new.

I also use it if I need to add more water to something I'm cooking - it doesn't cool it down.

I've been drinking black tea since I was a teenager - never liked coffee which is a nuisance socially :) Maybe less so now.

I use a General Electric, cordless kettle that's more than a decade old, but I don't really drink much tea.

:D

Attachments

• IMG_3031b.jpg
    IMG_3031b.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 6
I've worked as a professional taster and buyer of both coffee and tea for the better part of 30 years and drink more tea than coffee these days.

Tea bag tea is to real whole leaf tea what instant coffee is to freshly-roasted whole beans, quality-wise. A good electric kettle and a Chatsford tea pot and cozy or one of Bodum's tea pots are excellent choices. As for the tea, by far the best source in the U.S. is Upton tea:

http://www.uptontea.com

Great customer service as well, and their selection of tea pots, kettles, etc. is first-rate.

I've worked as a professional taster and buyer of both coffee and tea for the better part of 30 years and drink more tea than coffee these days.

Tea bag tea is to real whole leaf tea what instant coffee is to freshly-roasted whole beans, quality-wise. A good electric kettle and a Chatsford tea pot and cozy or one of Bodum's tea pots are excellent choices. As for the tea, by far the best source in the U.S. is Upton tea:

http://www.uptontea.com

Great customer service as well, and their selection of tea pots, kettles, etc. is first-rate.
Interesting. If you don't mind asking, who do you feel is an equivalent source for high quality coffee?

Last edited:
...(snip)..
I just put the mug and water in the microwave for 1:40 and drop the tea bag in for 3-4 minutes. :blush: We have an old tea kettle around somewhere, no clue where though...
We finally came around to the microwave idea a while back when the instant water dispenser started to die. One can get a very nice hot brew going quickly. My setting is 99 seconds (easy to set on our microwave) so I totally agree with Midpack on this.

Interesting. If you don't mind asking, who do you feel is an equivalent source for high quality coffee?

Thanks for asking! It's a very different marketplace than tea, in which Upton is in a league of their own for the U.S. market. There are many excelent local roasters, so if you live near one that would be your first choice. You want a place that shows obvious signs of care about which farms they buy from and that guarantees all the beans are sold within 7 days of roasting, regardless of how they're packaged.

If you don't live near an excellent roaster, names of top roasters who do good mail order include Terroir Coffee outside of Boston (run by George Howell of Coffee Connection fame), Intelligentsia in Chicago, Stumptown in Portland, Oregon, and Allegro Coffee, which is owned by and sold at Whole Foods. All have websites.

For those who are really into it (and want even better coffee than any of these places at less than half the cost), go to Home Coffee Roasting Supplies - Sweet Maria's

and buy yourself a home roaster (I like the Behmor) and some green beans and roast your own. Even if you don't want to take that on, the Sweet Maria's web site is the single best source of info on coffee roasting, sourcing, buying and brewing on the web.

We finally came around to the microwave idea a while back when the instant water dispenser started to die. One can get a very nice hot brew going quickly. My setting is 99 seconds (easy to set on our microwave) so I totally agree with Midpack on this.

+1

I looked at the cordless and corded electric hot water kettles and it seems like they take longer than a microwave to heat a cup of water, and are more useful for quantities of hot water larger than the 1-2 cups of tea that I am likely to drink at one sitting. Plus, the last thing I need is one more appliance on my countertop. :rolleyes:

I'd love to have the instant hot water dispenser installed in my sink, but they are a little expensive and I know they do break.

The microwave is OK for now. Tea bags are not the perfect solution either, but they do minimize the mess.

Back
Top Bottom