Doctor questions

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
I'm scheduled to visit a doctor for the first time in ~20 years.
What should I talk about?
I have some minor things to be taken care of; I need some long term pain-killers.
Is there something I should ask about (I'm 62).
My insurance will pay for "a physical", what should that entail?

I'm surprised the Dr is seeing you without first running a complete set of Lab tests on you first.

If nothing is ailing you, you can always talk about the weather...

There you go Khan.

Annual Physical Exams: What to Expect

I disagree with the idea of starting with lab tests. The most important part of the investigation is the history. If there are issues you would like your doctor to focus on, make a list.

Best of luck!

The physical should include as a minimum: complete blood work, a physical examination, and an EKG.

I agree with Meadbh re: the Webmd link. Additionally, I would recommend the AAFP guidelines and relevant materials http://www.aafp.org/afp/topicModules/viewTopicModule.htm?topicModuleId=64#2 check the adult section.

good luck, and take care.

There you go Khan.

I disagree with the idea of starting with lab tests. The most important part of the investigation is the history. If there are issues you would like your doctor to focus on, make a list.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
For a first visit in 20 years, I would order lab tests during the first visit, including CBC, CMP, A1c, liver function, lipid panel, urinalysis and pap at the very least. I think it may be the first time I disagree with you :) mammography etc are next, depending on age and hx / HPI / ROS

I disagree with the idea of starting with lab tests.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
There you go Khan.

Best of luck!
+1
You might want to jot down and bring along your family medical history, your history, and the screenings you have had. Also write down all the questions you have had about your health over the past few years. Finally, remember to ask what screenings you should have in the next year.

I love it when non clinicans provide medical advice here :) Khan should ask for -and get - basic labs for a first visit in 20 years. I recommend no breakfast before her appointment.
+1
You might want to jot down and bring along your family medical history, your history, and the screenings you have had. Also write down all the questions you have had about your health over the past few years. Finally, remember to ask what screenings you should have in the next year.

I love it when non clinicans provide medical advice here :) Khan should ask for -and get - basic labs for a first visit in 20 years. I recommend no breakfast before her appointment.

Well, even we non-clinicians go to the doctor, even after 20 years. And often wish we had asked about something in particular. I don't see anyone giving "medical advice."

Various folks, especially the dentist, have urged me to get a doctor. I guess is a required for the aged.

One thing I am much interested in is shingles vaccine; also wonder if should get hep A & B vaccines.

Assume will have to negotiate "physical" with Dr and Ins.

Just curious, how would you order tests for a prospective patient you have not seen yet?

I have switched docs over the years for many reasons, often result of several hundred mile moves across state lines.

None have ordered anything until after the first look see.

None of the folks contacted suggested non eating.

Khan, I would definitely take notes ahead of time about your family's medical history, which you've discussed here as it relates to your own issues, so the doc can check for those and advise re treatments, preventionary measures, etc.

I would order those during the first visit or I would not see the patient. I would document these orders in her chart too. I would not order anything before seeing the patient, this is correct.

Just curious, how would you order tests for a prospective patient you have not seen yet?

I have switched docs over the years for many reasons, often result of several hunfred mile moves across stae lines.

None have ordered anything until after the first look see.

Khan, I would definitely take notes ahead of time about your family's medical history, which you've discussed here as it relates to your own issues, so the doc can check for those and advise re treatments, preventionary measures, etc.

+1

The doctor will have no medical history to draw upon, not even your own history.

In the past you have told us here about family medical history and the doctor needs to know that also.

+1

The doctor will have no medical history to draw upon, not even your own history.

In the past you have told us here about family medical history and the doctor needs to know that also.

They did send me some forms to fill out.

They did send me some forms to fill out.

Perfect. It is tough when you arrive at the surgery and have that form to fill out, puts the pressure on the old memory cells :)

Perfect. It is tough when you arrive at the surgery and have that form to fill out, puts the pressure on the old memory cells :)

Uh, Yanks may not understand that "surgery" to Brits means the doc's office.:)

Uh, Yanks may not understand that "surgery" to Brits means the doc's office.:)

Ah, after 26 years I still haven't mastered the lingo.

Thanks for providing the subtitles :) or should I say Closed Captions?

Come on, Alan :), my native tongue is not English, I have been living here fewer years than you have, and I would not have made that mistake (I make many other mistakes though and still have a strong Euro accent).

Ah, after 26 years I still haven't mastered the lingo.

Thanks for providing the subtitles :) or should I say Closed Captions?

I agree that you should expect a detailed personal and family history a review of your lifestyle habits a physical exam including pap an EKG and lab work. If it is possible to be fasting that will save you having to return for lab tests another day. You should be ordered mammo and colonoscopy maybe bone density

A note of caution you mention need for long term painkillers. Of course discuss your pain issues and how you have been trying to control it and that you need help dealing with it. Be careful though about requesting drugs. It is a sad fact that there are people who make the rounds of doctors under various guises seeking narcotics and many of us are very wary of new patients who are asking for drugs. I totally understand that you are not one of those people but I would bring it up gently and listen to your doctor's plans for pain management and work up and if necessary ask after that for medicine. This is a very tough issue because so many of us have been deceived too many times.
Congratulations on making the appointment and good luck!

Come on, Alan :), my native tongue is not English, I have been living here fewer years than you have, and I would not have made that mistake (I make many other mistakes though and still have a strong Euro accent).

You are also much younger and can no doubt go from one room to another and actually remember the reason you had gone into that room.

If I were choosing a NEW doctor and had No baseline medical info to provide, I would be glad to run through the bloodwork ObGyn65 mentions before our appt. and then fill in the gaps with a verbal medical history.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom