The Beatles

I saw them live that year. My Dad took me to see Helen Shapiro who was the youngest ever chart topper at the time, and I apparently loved her. It was an 8th birthday present in February or March, I think, that year. We saw her at The Sunderland Empire Theatre and I can't remember her at all, but certainly remember the second act, a band called The Beatles.

The Beatles 1963 tour with Helen Shapiro: 50 years ago, the Beatles were the opening band.

Purron said:
50 years ago today their first album came out. Can't believe it's been that long. Can you? Still love these guys. The Beatles I Saw Her Standing There (2009 Stereo Remaster) - YouTube

I have this song in a live version on an LP with John Lennon and Elton John singing it. If I remember correctly it is Lennon's last live performance which was in 1974. He came out of the crowd to sing it with Elton.

The proof of a good song is that 10 (or 50) years later, it is still a good song. Fifty years on, the Beatles songs are still great.

These songs have been great also for many people around the world who have been learning English. I believe I started to learn English in the 70-80s by listening to the Beatles' songs.
The proof of a good song is that 10 (or 50) years later, it is still a good song. Fifty years on, the Beatles songs are still great.

rbmrtn said:
John made an appearance on a TV tribute show in 75, that may have been the last public show he did.

John Lennon-A Salute to Sir Lew Grade April 18, 1975 - YouTube

You would be correct, his last public concert appearance is the one with Elton John though I believe. I need to get one of those album conversion things. I got some good music stored on albums I haven't heard in 30 years. Like the Plastic Ono Band, with John Lennon, Live Peace in Toronto 1969, and Wings Over America triple live album.

I need to get one of those album conversion things. I got some good music stored on albums I haven't heard in 30 years. Like the Plastic Ono Band, with John Lennon, Live Peace in Toronto 1969, and Wings Over America triple live album.

One of my ongoing projects as well. I have some of their early albums released on the VeeJay label, I found them in the bargain bin of a record shop back in the 70s. I think paid something like 0.75 cents for them.

There was 75 interview of John by Tom Snyder on Tomorrow. The Tomorrow Show (John Lennon) 1975 part 1 - YouTube

These songs have been great also for many people around the world who have been learning English. I believe I started to learn English in the 70-80s by listening to the Beatles' songs.

You are absolutely right. They gave me the urge to learn English back in those dark days.

Early 1963, (February IIRC), I boarded a British ocean liner in Melbourne, Australia, headed across the Pacific........there was a wall mounted juke box in one of the bar/lounges and a steward recommended 'Love Me Do".

I don't know if anyone in Australia had heard it......especially not me, having been working in the mulga.

I remember listening to the Beatles for the first time through the static on an old analog radio (actually a bootleg recording of them before their records had been released in the US), and then telling my family that they were beyond anything I had ever heard in popular music. Of course, my parents were of the Depression generation so perhaps for that reason, they thought the Beatles were rubbish.
Imagine - John Lennon (Live) - YouTube

The ultimate definition of pure, raw talent IMO. His presence on earth for a while was a gift to all who cherish his songs.

Last edited:
My favorite band of all time. So many great songs! If I had to list my favorite, it would be "Here Comes The Sun" but my favorite Beatles song changes often.

If I had to list my favorite, it would be "Here Comes The Sun"
I always liked the Richie Havens version of that one.

(But the one that sticks in my head sometimes is Norwegian Wood.)

I saw them live that year. My Dad took me to see Helen Shapiro who was the youngest ever chart topper at the time, and I apparently loved her. It was an 8th birthday present in February or March, I think, that year. We saw her at The Sunderland Empire Theatre and I can't remember her at all, but certainly remember the second act, a band called The Beatles.

The Beatles 1963 tour with Helen Shapiro: 50 years ago, the Beatles were the opening band.
Lucky b**tard! I'm envious.
I enjoyed Beatles night on American Idol the other day, especially this performance:

I liked them better before Paul died in 1966.

I liked them better before Paul died in 1966.

:LOL:

I'd not heard of that one before. And to think I joined this forum to learn about FIRE...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 73
Alan said:
:LOL:

I'd not heard of that one before. And to think I joined this forum to learn about FIRE...

You never read all about the cryptic messages confirming it? A couple of them if memory serves me. At the end of the song "Strawberry Fields Forever " says "I buried Paul". Another songs played backwards have references and the Abby Road album cover was somehow tied to it. I remember playing these songs backwards in the day to hear it. I never took it seriously, but then by the time I had heard about it, he was touring with his Wings band.

You never read all about the cryptic messages confirming it? A couple of them if memory serves me. At the end of the song "Strawberry Fields Forever " says "I buried Paul". Another songs played backwards have references and the Abby Road album cover was somehow tied to it. I remember playing these songs backwards in the day to hear it. I never took it seriously, but then by the time I had heard about it, he was touring with his Wings band.

I must have lived in a bubble because I've heard none of this before today. :nonono:

Anyone remember this parody of the Sgt. Pepper's album art? Damn I miss Zappa.

Attachments

• zappa1.jpg
    zappa1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 3
  • zappa2.jpg
    zappa2.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 70
You would be correct, his last public concert appearance is the one with Elton John though I believe. I need to get one of those album conversion things. I got some good music stored on albums I haven't heard in 30 years. Like the Plastic Ono Band, with John Lennon, Live Peace in Toronto 1969, and Wings Over America triple live album.

Or, as Dr. Demento might say, "The Spastic Phono Band"...

http://youtu.be/SzhY34QrRJI

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom