Do you own a 78 rpm turntable?

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Now these go way back. Do you have one? If so, when is the last time you played a record on it? My parents had about 12 such records (including one I believe by Frank Sinatra) that I've had this recent urge to listen to. I do have a friend that has a 78 rpm turntable and believe it or not he also has an 8-track player. Wouldn't it be cool to convert these to digital and have them on my iPod playlist! Sounds like a retirement "project" to me.:cool:

I still have one and about a dozen LPs. But IIRC, LPs were played at 33 rpm, while 78 rpm was for the singles. The last time I played an LP was over a year ago and it was Duran Duran.

I had one until 1966, when it broke. Guess that would be 47 years ago.

I have about 50 old 78s that belonged to my parents; most are from the late 30s through the 40s. I don't have a turntable that will play them but am on the lookout for one.

Most turntables would play 33 1/3 RPM (standard album) or 45 RPM (many singles) or 78 (RPM) older format. I've still got a couple around here from college days, but haven't had one connected and played anything on it for more than 20 years.

I have 3 turntables that can play 78's. A Dual 1019, a Dual 1219 and a Lenco L75. 78's can sound amazingly good when played on the right equipment. A special needle is needed because the groove is wider than on a regular 33 1/3 RPM LP. A regular needle will ride the bottom of the groove and be far noisier. I have converted 78's to digital and it is a lot of fun to create a long playlist from 78's

I don't have any 78s. Oddly enough I'm looking for a new turntable as my 30+yr old finally died last week. The direct drive motor gave out.

Yes we do. It's a newer multi-function model that plays 33 1/3, 45s and 78s. It also has a built in AM/FM radio, cassette and CD player. (no 8 track player :() We bought it 6 or 7 years ago and still use it "occasionally". (A few times each year.)

Anyone interested in converting those old 78 records onto an IPOD can do it with a record player that hooks up onto your computer. Even if the record player does not spin at 78RPM, the accompanying AUDACITY® software program has an option to adjust the speed to 78RPM.

Right, so I inherited a bunch of 78s, and as mentioned in another thread, I've lately been getting into big band music. Years ago, I converted all of my and DWs LPs to digital (using Audacity -- see above -- open source software).

On Saturday, I received in the mail a 78 RPM needle to install on my 80's era Onkyo turntable. It does not play 78. However, I can run the 78s at 45 rpm, and then upconvert them to 78. This also requires a bit of other electronic tweaks (equalization). I'm looking forward to the project.

I'll say it again even though it was mentioned above... you need a 78 RPM needle to do this right. The LP needs are too small and will dig the groove. There are plenty of sources you can find on the internet to get just 78RPM needles. There's a pretty active aftermarket for this.

Yes, I have a Voice of Music changer model 1228 from about 1958. It can play at 13, 33, 45 or 78 rpm.

I own a cartridge for 78s, and I use a computer to convert from the 45 RPM of my turntable to 78.

Is that a 'yes' or a 'no'? ;) or a 'virtual yes'?

-ERD50

I don't have a turntable for 78s anymore but I do have a functioning crank Edisonphone with about 30 of the 3/8 inch thick records. It would be fun to convert them to digital but I wouldn't know or have the means to do it.

Cheers!

I'm like Badger----Have a 1920's floor model hand-crank Edison Victrola with about 25 thick vinyl records. Haven't run it in about 3 years, so need to do that (also need to run the hand crank table model cylinder record player I have). Don't have anything else that plays 78's, but have thought a lot about one of those Crosby combo units that has everything, but they're a little $$, and haven't ever heard of any good reviews on them.

... Don't have anything else that plays 78's, but have thought a lot about one of those Crosby combo units that has everything, but they're a little $$, and haven't ever heard of any good reviews on them.

I think you are far better off using a standard turntable with the proper cartridge/stylus and a USB Audio-Digital converter for your computer. Or just use your computer's sound input if you have a phono pre-amp, and feel that your computer's A/D converter is good enough.

Here's a link to a thread I started a while back, and some of the stuff I use:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/audio-in-the-digital-age-63523.html#post1243619

Amazon.com: ART USB Phono Plus: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: NuForce Icon uDAC-2 Black Digital Audio Converter: Electronics

-ERD50

I think you are far better off using a standard turntable with the proper cartridge/stylus and a USB Audio-Digital converter for your computer. Or just use your computer's sound input if you have a phono pre-amp, and feel that your computer's A/D converter is good enough.

Here's a link to a thread I started a while back, and some of the stuff I use:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/audio-in-the-digital-age-63523.html#post1243619

Amazon.com: ART USB Phono Plus: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: NuForce Icon uDAC-2 Black Digital Audio Converter: Electronics

-ERD50

+1. For my purposes, the A/D converter is good enough on my computer. And since I LBYM, my receiver is 14 years old and has the phone input by default. :)

My dad has one of those Crosley thingies. The device tries to do too much in my opinion. They have different models, and my dad's model had a pretty cheap turntable. So, it does a little bit of everything just OK.

I won't dis' the device too much, because it was perfect for my parents since it would play everything "good enough" for them. Dad has since become too impaired to operate it. Heck, I had a hard time figuring it out!

Thanks for all the replies. So if I wanted to use my current turntable (about 25 years old and does not have 78 rpm setting) to transfer from 78 to my computer, I'd have to buy a 78rpm needle for my turntable and can use Audiocity to record it at either speed and it could "convert" to what it would sound like going at 78 rpm. Is that correct?
One more question, would I need to add weight to the needle to play 78s? It would seem that I'd have to add weight to make the needle stay on the track. The stylus on my turntable has a weight adjustment. If it needs more weight, I could always put a paper clip on the needle or something like that. Sound like a plan? Thanks again for all the replies.

David. You got it! It will sound strange when you record it, but after some Audacity magic, you'll be up to 78. There's plenty of help on the subject if you search.

For my cartridge, the 78 needle says it should get 3 grams tracking. My regular LP is 1.25 grams. So, yeah, you'll want to adjust that too. Avoid paperclips if your tonearm has enough adjustment to do it the official way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom