One Month Vacations

Z3Dreamer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Looking for places to spend one month in the winter. I live in a mountainous area that is wonderful, April to November. December to late March is not so good. Friends rent a place in St. Simons, GA for next to nothing for a month. Others rent lake front places in Lake Weir, FL or south for about $3,000. I have heard that South Padre Island, TX is wonderful and maybe Corpus Christi. Any body have any other places where I can hang out? I would prefer a place close to water. Would like to rent a place that has more than one bedroom so I can invite kids, church ladies and the like.

We spent a couple of months in the Gulf Shores, AL area this past winter. It's not super warm and tends to be windy with some rainy days. All in all, we enjoyed the area. Lots of places to eat, hike, ride bikes, listen to live music, see historical sites, etc. Rent was very reasonable. I'd go in February-seemed to be better than January.

Depends on what activities you like to do.

If fishing, kayaking, biking, and the like, appeal to you, you may wish to consider the Florida Keys. I'd recommend someplace between Marathon and Key West for almost-guaranteed good weather through the winter months. I've spent a month on Big Pine Key for the past 3 winters. A canal-front home (2 BR/2BA) there runs about $2400/mo in season. Key West and Marathon both have theaters and plenty of dining options and both are about 30- 40 minutes drive away.

If you like culture, lots of good dining options, and good shopping (as well as nice beaches and good fishing), Marco Island or Naples, FL are worth consideration. Non-waterfront 2BR/2BA condo rentals can be found there for about $2400-$3000/mo. in season.

If consistently sunny, warm-ish weather isn't a priority, there are tons of places further north in Florida or elsewhere.

omni

We just spent some time in Myrtle Beach area (March), nice weather,lots of beach although a bit too cool to swim in the ocean, while we didnt rent a place for a month prices were rock bottom,we were paying $70 per night at the beach cove resort in North Myrtle Beach,in season prices were around $400 per night.
A drive south of town saw many hotel/motels advertising rooms as low as $25 a night, i would imagine monthly rentals would also reflect base price off season rental rates.

Anyone ever been to South Padre Island? Have found some online prices that look good. Weather appears great in January and February.

I was in SPI early summer (early June) a couple of years back. Very nice and good food. Definitely better beach in TX Popular destination for spring break.

I think its remoteness keeps too many tourists away.

A re-positioning cruise can be two weeks or longer. Maybe you can consider tying that into your plans.

I have heard of these re-positioning cruises. They appear to be in the cards. Once we are FIRE'd DW wants to travel a lot. With the ACA I will be able to afford Health Insurance. Next biggest budget item is Travel. Offseason at a FL lake or SPI, TX for a month is $2,500 - $3,500. Re-positioning or other cruise is $1,500 to $2,000. $2,000 visiting the kids. We have friends who do House Exchange. We may continue to free load with them. Then every other year, she wants the barge cruise through the Rhine or Loire, trip to Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, etc. In other words the BIG trip. So we would do 9 weeks most years at a cost of $7,500. These big trips would be $7,500. How does this sound?

Looking for places to spend one month in the winter. I live in a mountainous area that is wonderful, April to November. December to late March is not so good. Friends rent a place in St. Simons, GA for next to nothing for a month. Others rent lake front places in Lake Weir, FL or south for about $3,000. I have heard that South Padre Island, TX is wonderful and maybe Corpus Christi. Any body have any other places where I can hang out? I would prefer a place close to water. Would like to rent a place that has more than one bedroom so I can invite kids, church ladies and the like.
South Padre Island has a huge number of condos and is not heavily used during the winter. They usually have long-term winter rental specials for "Winter Texans". There are lots of people there in the winter, but most of them come in their RVs and fill the island RV parks. Not so many rent lodging.

As it happens - we are heading there today! For some champion spring birding.

Anyone ever been to South Padre Island? Have found some online prices that look good. Weather appears great in January and February.
Been there tons of times and camped there too. Awesome place. Winter weather very good and way better than the rest of the TX coast. We only live 80 miles away so we visit often.

We know the entire TX coast very well, and South Padre Island is the only section with a decent beach. Of course, we go over there because the birding is fantastic, but I do enjoy walking the beach at sunrise and sunset.

Last edited:
Been there tons of times and camped there too. Awesome place.
"Camped?"

Come on now, is hanging out in something like this really 'camping'?

Attachments

• Motor Home 1.JPG
    Motor Home 1.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 15
  • motorhome interior.jpg
    motorhome interior.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 18
"Camped?"

Come on now, is hanging out in something like this really 'camping'?
What does Tiffen say - "Roughing it Smoothly"? Works for me!

We really enjoyed staying at the Andy Bowie county park across from the SPI Convention Center and Birding Center. But it's almost impossible to get a long wheel base vehicle in there without running up on the curb at the entrance.

Now that we live in the Valley, we just motel it.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but what about Arizona or New Mexico? We are considering a similar wintering situation and looking there. If you love the water and want sun/heat, I would also consider the Caribbean.

AZ

Any specific locations or cost estimates?

I know more about AZ. Phoenix and Tucson area in January will usually get to the high 60's during the day and down to high 40's at night.

If you go more southwest (e.g., Yuma) you get lower elevation and therefore warmer temps. Maybe +5 over Phoenix area. Also, you get near the Colorado river.

Arizona in general is one of the sunniest states and I believe Yuma is the sunniest city in the US.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/online/ccd/pctposrank.txt

Rental prices in AZ are a lot more affordable than CA. You can get a very nice detached 3BR/3BA home for around $2400/mo. If you go up to the $3-4K/mo range, you get amazing large homes with architectural interest, heated pools, gated communities, etc.

Z3Dreamer,

A site that will give you plenty of info on rentals (types, costs, and availablity) is VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner).

I've had great success using them. The few minor issues I had (for instance, the kitchen was missing a blender when one was advertised) were immediately taken care of by the owners.

omni

What I noticed about South Padre Island is there is hardly any oil on the beach compared to the rest of the gulf coast, and the water was a little clearer. and that was before the BP spill. Also, South Padre Island does a really good job keeping the beach free of washed up debris, making it a very nice beach.

Regarding Corpus Christi, their beaches are less attractive than South Padre Island. Actually last time I was at a beach hotel near Corpus Christi, we were with a Hispanic couple, and while we were at the pool, some guest at the hotel just assumed my Hispanic friend was a pool boy and tried to order a drink from him. That was less than thrilling.

Last edited:
What I noticed about South Padre Island is there is hardly any oil on the beach compared to the rest of the gulf coast, and the water was a little clearer. and that was before the BP spill. Also, South Padre Island does a really good job keeping the beach free of washed up debris, making it a very nice beach.

Regarding Corpus Christi, their beaches are less attractive than South Padre Island. Actually last time I was at a beach hotel near Corpus Christi, we were with a Hispanic couple, and while we were at the pool, some guest at the hotel just assumed my Hispanic friend was a pool boy and tried to order a drink from him. That was less than thrilling.
The sand is better quality, whiter. Most of the Texas beaches are gray. The City of SPI does a good job of cleaning the beach, and no driving is allowed on the beach within city limits.

Just DO NOT go there during the month of March. It's an absolute madhouse (Spring Break).

That's pretty weird about the guest. I assume they were from out of state and not used to our high Hispanic population in south TX.

Pick a couple of places on the globe that you always wanted to visit and rent a house for a month. You can get great deals. Great way to see and really feel a place as a resident not a tourist.

M

Back
Top Bottom