How to Make Use of Old Whiskey Barrel Metal Bands

John Galt III

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi,

A half whiskey barrel that I had a fern in has rotted away, leaving only 3 round rusty metal bands behind, each about 3 feet in diameter and 3 inches tall, and a quarter inch thick. I found out that the local recycling place will take them. But I know as soon as I give them away, I'll think of something I could have used them for. Any ideas? Yes, humorous ideas are welcomed also! :greetings10:

take two...get some rebar. One forms the bottom of the table (stand) one forms the top. Get someone to weld the rebar to the top and bottom. Buy a glass top and you have a very functional table for use indoors or out.

Perfect opportunity to learn to be a cooper.
Get some lumber and a few simple tools. Make new barrel staves and reuse the old bands.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

With just the right fabric you could wear an authentic looking "barrel" to your next halloween party.

This is a cool sundial that I saw at Brookgreen Gardens in SC--pretty ambitious, but still.

Attachments

• Idea.JPG
    Idea.JPG
    348.9 KB · Views: 6
About 40 years ago, I would have loved to race them down a hill.:)

you could put them up on freecycle.org
it is amazing the things you can give away, that someone else can use.

Hi,

A half whiskey barrel that I had a fern in has rotted away, leaving only 3 round rusty metal bands behind, each about 3 feet in diameter and 3 inches tall, and a quarter inch thick. I found out that the local recycling place will take them. But I know as soon as I give them away, I'll think of something I could have used them for. Any ideas? Yes, humorous ideas are welcomed also! :greetings10:

More importantly, how's the fern doing? :)

More importantly, how's the fern doing? :)

Ah yes! I'm expecting the fern to come back to life soon, now that Spring is here. The fern no longer fits in with the landscaping there, since I added 4 new shrubs in March. I'll be moving the fern and the soil that was in the barrel somewhere else. Maybe into my vegetable garden.

Thanks for the thread John, I was wondering what to do with all those old metal bands I have.

Back
Top Bottom