Social security survivor benefit

statsman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I think I know the answers to these social security questions, but I thought I would ask anyway. If the oldest spouse dies at age 62 or older, being eligible for SS benefits, but the surviving spouse is younger than 60, is the surviving spouse eligible for the SS survivor benefit once they are 60 or older? Or does the fact that the surviving spouse is younger than 60 on the date their spouse died mean they are not eligible for the SS survivor benefit ever? Assume no disability with the surviving spouse and no surviving children younger than 20.

It does not matter what age the deceased spouse was when he/she died. Surviving spouse would be eligible at age 60, if the deceased spouse was insured for social security.

It does not matter what age the deceased spouse was when he/she died. Surviving spouse would be eligible at age 60, if the deceased spouse was insured for social security.
I assume by "insured for social security" you mean receiving monthly benefits and not just qualified to receive benefits.

The surviving spouse is eligible for early benefits starting at age 60, at a reduced rate, based on the deceased work record so long as they do not re-marry before age 60.

Back
Top Bottom