A heartfelt surprise!

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So there I am having a burrito for lunch Friday and I wake up a day or so later to find I went into full code. Here's a heart healthy tip: going purple, rigid, and non-responsive is not a pleasant experience for one's honey. Pisses them off. She dragged me to the floor, dialed 911 with one hand while doing chest compressions with the other, went to both hands while talking hands free to the 911 operator, and we had medics walking in the door inside of 6 minutes.

I was intubated and given a shot of some stimulant while the medics took over CPR. They shocked me with the paddles at least twice while here but I arrived at the hospital in full code and they re-booted me there. Kept me knocked out for a day 'cause I kept trying to pull out the tubes down my throat and nose. Sunday a defibrillator was installed, so now I have a hardbody pect.. Just one. Came home yesterday.

So here are some observations:

From my side of the eyelids it was all good. No pain, no long lost relatives beckoning me home, no lighted tunnels. I felt like I was having a real good conversation with friends.

That being the case, it made me pause when the surgeon asked about installing the defibrillator unit. My understanding is that people primarily die of heart disease or cancer. My experience with my heart stopping was very positive (except for the whole dying thing). Cancer, OTOH, doesn't seem like a real nice way to go. Opting for the defibrillator felt like opting for a protracted death experience. Kind of felt that my gal had put a fair amount of effort into keeping me and that I should do my part. Or maybe I just wanted to put off the whole potential death thing to some future point. In any case, I opted for the defibrillator almost immediately. Maybe I'll get hit by a bus.

I must have been a heck of a good whatever in a prior life, because it kinda feels like I had an amazing amount of good fortune: a highly effective honey, an amazingly fast response time from fire and ambulance, and a stunning lack of consequences. Life is good.

Last edited:
Holy cow, I'm so glad your gal wasn't going to let you get out of here without a fight on her part! Hope you are feeling well.

OH MAN!!!

If it were me, and I had a choice from the "out" state, it would be to fold the cards. DW & I have already had that discussion. Never really know if it would hold though, would require her or others to do nothing...

But now that you're back camloki... welcome back :D
And, uh, don't do that again :)

Hooooooly cr@p.... I'm glad your gal acted swiftly. Welcome back to the land of the living!

Congratulations on bouncing back so fast, Calm! Amazing how one can experience a near death experience and be good as new in a few days. It certainly benefits to have a quick thinking wife doesn't it, kudos to her! Being that I am single and my GF and I can go a few days at a time without seeing each other, I would have been stiff as an armadillo on the side of the road, by the time someone found me.

Welcome back! Lose the Burrito, take the treadmill.;)

So you're probably not terribly interested in this new burrito recipe of mine. Oh, well.

Good for you! Delighted that you made it through such an incredible experience.

Are you sure you were eating a burrito and not kicked by a burro?

Whatever the case, welcome back. Oh, and since you are now all wired up, stay away from garage door openers - I hear they can really make you dance... :)

That's incredible. Thanks for sharing and I think you owe your gal something very special. I'll let you figure that one out.

OMG, Loki! Take care of yourself, you hear? You don't want honey going through those shenanigans again...

Amethyst

What was in that burrito? Nice that you're still around, though.

I am so glad that you came back! No more spicy burritos for you!

What was in that burrito? Nice that you're still around, though.

We had split two Rubio's shrimp and fish burritos I'm told. Not really sure how they were, but their shrimp taco, with toasted cheese, bacon, and avocado is great! Going up for our normal Tuesday $1.50 fish taco feed tonight - maybe I'll essay the shrimp burrito again.

Thanks all for the welcome back,

Calm, rebooted.

OMG!!! I am SO GLAD that you got immediate first aid and survived that. You do realize how incredibly fortunate you were, right? :D Whew. Welcome back.

Really glad you are still here. And what a dramatic experience! Congrats to everyone involved, girlfriend, EMTs, docs and nurses, the whole shebang.

But maybe you should DC the burritos?

Ha

What an experience! Glad your gal was so quick on her feet and you're back to enjoy the rest of whatever life has to offer.

Wow! I'm happy to hear that you came through the experience and are here to tell the tale. Take care.

Yipes! That is flat out scary. Glad you are all fixed up now and hopefully good for another- as many as you want.
How long is the warranty on that defibrillator?

My goodness, that was quite a shock (in more ways than one)! Glad you pulled through in good shape. Your DW is a heroine. Be calm, loki!

You are one lucky dude! Lots of people don't survive that. Lucky you had someone right there that knew what to do. Keep a check on that ticker and good luck.

Nice comeback! Bravo for your honey!

Congratulations on bouncing back so fast, Calm! Amazing how one can experience a near death experience and be good as new in a few days. It certainly benefits to have a quick thinking wife doesn't it, kudos to her! Being that I am single and my GF and I can go a few days at a time without seeing each other, I would have been stiff as an armadillo on the side of the road, by the time someone found me.

:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom