Do you avoid cracks in the sidewalk?

Do you avoid cracks in the sidewalk?

• Not at all. Don't even notice the cracks.

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • A little.

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Very much. Will change my step length to avoid.

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
When walking along a sidewalk, do you make any attempt at trying to avoid stepping on the cracks in the sidewalk?

Last edited:
Yes, because it would break my mother's back. :)

Lines and Squares

by A. A. Milne

Whenever I walk in a London street,
I'm ever so careful to watch my feet;
And I keep in the squares,
And the masses of bears,
Who wait at the corners all ready to eat
The sillies who tread on the lines of the street
Go back to their lairs,
And I say to them, "Bears,
Just look how I'm walking in all the squares!"

And the little bears growl to each other, "He's mine,
As soon as he's silly and steps on a line."
And some of the bigger bears try to pretend
That they came round the corner to look for a friend;
And they try to pretend that nobody cares
Whether you walk on the lines or squares.
But only the sillies believe their talk;
It's ever so portant how you walk.
And it's ever so jolly to call out, "Bears,
Just watch me walking in all the squares!"

When walking along a sidewalk, do you make any attempt at trying to avoid stepping on the cracks in the sidewalk?

Always. I can't count the number of times those mean old cracks have leaped up and grabbed my shoes and sent me comically sprawling. Especially the ones under a ladder with a black cat running across the walk and broken mirror shards everywhere.

Well, you left one that I had to pick..... a little...

I really don't care about cracks, except for the big ones... so I avoid the big ones which means..... a little...

I'm not superstitious that way. I just avoid the cracks because I don't want to kill all the little people living in them.

Sidewalks? We walk barefoot on red dirt here in MS.

I hear you! :LOL: Used to live there, too.

In New Orleans, living on a reclaimed swamp, we have a lot of subsidence (sinking) under sidewalks just as we do under everything else. Because subsidence is uneven, cracks are likely to evolve into drops or steps up in the path. So of course I look at and avoid them! If I did not, I would trip and fall.

On my street, neighbors walk down the middle of the street because it is smoother than the sidewalks.

In other locations, I ignore the cracks or sometimes even make a point of stepping on them, not to create any adverse health consequences to my dear departed mother but just to confirm that the sidewalk was beautifully and carefully made and is even.

A little, only because the pavement may be at different levels and if my toe gets caught I could fall flat on my face!

No, I don't pay any attention to the cracks.

It did remind me of this, though.

As best I remember,I was a bit neurotic as a child and did the avoid the crack thing. Fell away sometime into adulthood or maybe replaced by far more interesting phonomena of which I am unaware.

Back
Top Bottom