Our New Kitchen

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I realize that few if any here would care, but we did get some good suggestions from ER members, so FWIW. I really did not want to spend the money, but DW [-]was hell bent[/-] insisted, and I agreed as a means to enhance our homes resale since we plan to move in a few years.

As the head cook and bottle washer, I am enjoying the new kitchen. The late 80's kitchen was still operable, but horribly dated, the soffit/bulkheads were a dead giveaway. And the lack of countertop clutter is not for show, everything is now conveniently stored and readily accessible.

Attachments

• Old Kitchen.JPG
    Old Kitchen.JPG
    983.5 KB · Views: 105
  • New Kitchen.JPG
    New Kitchen.JPG
    897.7 KB · Views: 122
Very nice. What did you use for the counter tops? Quartz or marble?
Granite, since that's what most buyers (in our price range) think they want. If we were keeping the house, we would have gone with quartz or even soapstone.

Thanks.
New counters are next on my list, and I was thinking about quartz. I'll consider both.

Very nice! I really like the light-colored cabinets and floor.

omni

Thanks.
New counters are next on my list, and I was thinking about quartz. I'll consider both.

Granite prices have come way down. BTW, many buyers who THINK they want granite are unaware of the maintenance needed(sealing, etc.).

omni

Granite prices have come way down. BTW, many buyers who THINK they want granite are unaware of the maintenance needed(sealing, etc.).
Very true, we got the best lifetime sealer we could find (Granite Shield)...not cheap. Our countertops were $75/sqft installed incl tax, but you could spend 2x or 3x if you wanted to. Home Depot (we did not use HD) had granite starting at $50/sqft installed, but it was 2/3rds the thickness of "standard."

Last edited:
Your new kitchen is beautiful MP and will definitely help sell your house when you decide to give it up. Amazing how different it looks even maintaining the same layout!

Very nice remodel. I hope you enjoy it for the next few years before selling the home.

It's beautiful! Wow! I love the lack of clutter.

Oh oh..... These photos are going to cost me money some day.

Nice kitchen. What will you cook in it?

Last edited:
Looks like you went from good to great Midpack.

So when is the ER forum only BBQ? :)

Gorgeous new kitchen ! How was living through the remodel ?
Not fun, but we got used to it. Kitchen was completely out of commission about 2-3 weeks, and the whole project took 5-6 (really about 15 days of actual work, mostly waiting for countertops). It's amazing what just not having a sink and running water does to a kitchen. Had to fill pitchers from 1/2 bath and wash dishes in a bathtub for weeks.

Nice kitchen. What will you cook in it?
Everything, every day! Since I retired, I've perfected a lot of our favorites. And going from electric to gas (range) has been a nice change, even though I overcooked rice & oatmeal once each before learning the difference in #3 on electric & #3 on gas...:(

Midpack,

See that the microwave is now over the stove. Just wondering where you are now keeping the coffeemaker and toaster oven?

omni

Well done Midpack! What a difference. We did something similar about 4 years ago as our kitchen was dated as well (built 1991). We went with the granite countertops and the sealer was applied after the installation. They said to reseal every other year. They also said to NOT use Windex to clean it as in some cases the blue color will transfer into the granite. I can hardly believe this but we just use white vinegar/water solution in a spray bottle.

Midpack,

See that the microwave is now over the stove. Just wondering where you are now keeping the coffeemaker and toaster oven?

omni
Busted (you're good). We thought about an appliance garage, for about 3 nanoseconds, don't care for them.

The toaster oven, coffee maker and grinder are now on the countertop in the corner since we use them every day. But I promise everything else will stay put away. 6 (hanging) pans, 2 spice racks, microwave, utensil basket, knife block, cutting boards, salt & pepper, misc basket (various chargers, etc.), fridge magnet clutter (grrrrr), hot pan holders, splatter screen, chips/crackers, sponges & soap are all permanently off the countertops.

I do miss the pots & pan rack, but more cabinet space and rollout base cabinet shelves are a nice alternative that we did not have before.

Last edited:
Busted. The toaster oven, coffee maker and grinder are now on the countertop in the corner since we use them every day.

...And I was just about to call "BS!" (at least on the coffee maker) :D

Very nice.

Tyro

Busted. The toaster oven, coffee maker and grinder are now on the countertop in the corner since we use them every day. But I promise everything else will stay put away. Two spice racks, microwave, utensil basket, knife block, cutting boards, salt & pepper, misc basket (various chargers, etc.), sponges & soap are all permanently put away.

I do miss the pots & pan rack, but more cabinet space and rollout base cabinet shelves are a nice alternative that we did not have before.

Thanks.

(Secretly, I was hoping that you'd found a handy new way to store these larger items that are used every day.)

omni

Back
Top Bottom