1 week in Bordeaux - any tips?

Moscyn

Full time employment: Posting here.
Am planning a trip to Bordeaux with DH in September. This will be like our dream trip and so we intend to splash a bit as i have dreamed of this since I had my first sip of wine. We like our wine but both are novice in the subject. Also planning for this trip has given me sleepless nights. We will rent a car and thinking of staying 1 night in Bordeaux to recover from jet lag and enjoy the sights, 2 nights in Medoc ( likely at Chateau Cordellan Bages) 1 night in St Emilion and 2 nights in Martillac at Les Sources des Caudalie which is at the grounds of Chateau Smith Haut Lafite. I understand that Martillac is 15 minutes from Bordeaux and I hope to spend a bit more time at Bordeaux while staying there. My itinerary is not fixed, so if anyone has " been there done that", do enlighten me. Thanks!

Not sure if you were interested in a guide for a day or two. We have not been there, but are doing a wine cruise that will be going to that area in October. After extensive research we had heard a lot about a guide by the name of Dewey Markham. His site is DMjWineworks—Award–Winning Books, Wine Tours and Classes We were hoping to use his services based on others reviews, but we were not able to coordinate a private tour with him due to a change in ports. Like I said though no first hand experience though.

Thanks Hopeful. I too read about Dewey Markham and am still waiting for his reply to my email.

Obviously vineyard trips are a must, but don't forget the cave paintings in the Dordogne. It's not exactly close, but not too far either, about a 2 hr drive.

Obviously vineyard trips are a must, but don't forget the cave paintings in the Dordogne. It's not exactly close, but not too far either, about a 2 hr drive.
We were in this area a couple of months ago, staying 3 days in Bordeaux, 1 St Emillion and 3 in Sarlat.
The cave paintings are particularly amazing when you appreciate they were done by artists hanging on scaffolding, using animal fat for light, and "brushes" from an earlier kill. If you really want to see the original, you can not buy your tickets too early--or face an very early morning in line for the tickets reserved for walk-ups.
We actually went to the "replica" cave and were glad of it. As a replica it was easier to get tickets, gave up nothing in terms of the experience, and had much more time in the "cave", to appreciate just how amazing the art is.
Nwsteve

I just heard from Dewey Markham, unfortunately he is busy the week I am there. I have written to a few chateau for viewing but no response so far.

I have not been to Bordeaux. Given the long flight that you will make, a week seems too short, like ERD50 said. Of course if one flies in first class or business class, it will not be as traumatic as most of my travel experiences. Hence, we usually make it at least 2 weeks to make the time spent in the cramped seat worthwhile.

Oh, and I would make at least a day trip to Cognac. It would be like a pilgrimage for me.

All this talk makes my feet itchy!

We did a similar trip close to 20 years ago, and St. Emilion was our personal highlight...very romantic and the wine was divine.

Thanks, this is in my program too.

Back
Top Bottom