Time Warner Cable and Comcast Internet Modem Fees

gbstack

Recycles dryer sheets
So with Time Warner and Comcast charging a monthly fee for a cable Internet modem have you purchased a cable modem or are you panning on buying one soon?

I purchased one and it works great. The payback for me is 10 months.

Nope, we probably have to have ours replaced once a year. If I rent from them, they have to come diagnose and then replace. We're hard on electronics around here. ;)

I have always owned my modems and routers, no brainer in my way of thinking.

Had for years free from cable company, they started charging monthly fee for it. I bought off ebay for a few bucks.

Yeah, I've always used my own modem.

Last edited:
Had for years free from cable company, they started charging monthly fee for it. I bought off ebay for a few bucks.

I just converted to Comcast internet and decided to rent their box for now. I'm not a tech person and wanted to use all their stuff while I was getting up and running. They said I could return it anytime if I decided to buy my own box. It was easy to get up and going and didn't require calling Comcast's tech support, thank God.

Might have to look into buying one. At $7/mo for rental, you can pay for one in just a few months as others have said.

It's fairly easy to replace the cable modem. Just get one compatible with their system. Take the new one to them, they record the MAC address off the modem, put in their database and enable. You take it home and swap it out. They take advantage charging maintenance fee for something essentially never breaks. ( unless it get fried electrically ).

Back
Top Bottom