Smartphone the Future of Medicine?

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
We've discussed this subject on several threads, but this video brings together some realities... along with a promise of huge savings. Not ten years from now, but now.
An oppportunity for Do-It-Yourselfers. Just imagine... a smartphone ultrasound, instead of an $800 test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=r13uYs7jglg
Are you using any health apps? Would you be willing to spend a few hundred dollars for specialty hardware apps?

Last edited:
After posting, thought it over for a few minutes, and realized that we have a number of non "digital" home medical devices already.
BMI Scale, Stethoscope, Blood sugar test, Ear thermometer, Otoscope, Stool test, Blood Pressure Monitor, Cholesterol Chek Biometer, multi-test pulse/calorie pedometer. All together less than $300 over the years. Money well spent.

Last edited:
I watched some business channel coverage of yesterday's announcement of Samsung's wrist watch computer. Several commentators gave it a good chance of success in wellness and health-related niches.

While most would not classify it as a medical device, I'd give great credit to my Garmin GPS running/fitness watch (610) that I've had for two years. I use it with heart monitor and digital Tanita scale to log all my activities; hiking, mtn biking, and running. The big advantage of it is that it uploads an amazing amount of data to computer or Garmin site and let's you see how you're doing. Which is a real motivator to me; something about loading up the data after an activity and seeing what you did, calories expended, weight, and comparatives to other similar activities. It may sound a little over the top, but I've gotten so when I'm running I can predict what HR is within 1-2 bpm before I even look at the watch.

It's a lot of technology for not too terribly much money, and if it would motivate you I'd recommend it or something like it.

After posting, thought it over for a few minutes, and realized that we have a number of non "digital" home medical devices already.
BMI Scale, Stethoscope, Blood sugar test, Ear thermometer, Otoscope, Stool test, Blood Pressure Monitor, Cholesterol Chek Biometer, multi-test pulse/calorie pedometer. All together less than $300 over the years. Money well spent.

This is a great idea. At home we have blood pressure monitors, thermometers, pH paper, thermometers, heart rate monitors, scales and a glucose testing kit. Those home tests along with some alternative health books have saved us a lot on doctor bills over the years.

We have also solved some weird health issues just by keeping diet logs and tracking health issues to some trigger foods.

I also have some good posture charts and books we should really use more. Good posture can help prevent a lot of aches and pains. There is some good information on posture in old medical books that seems to have been forgotten over the years.

The Tricorder is within reach! Now if we could only get a food replicator. :)

Back
Top Bottom