Now that I've stopped lurking and started posting, hello

Dd852

Full time employment: Posting here.
Time to introduce myself ... I'm 53 and while I'd always wanted to retire early I was "encouraged" into it last year by a fairly significant goodbye handshake from my employer of 25 years. In essence all the cash plus early vesting on options and stuff basically added up to five years of base salary - more than enough to bridge me to where I wanted to be. The rejection hurt, the money was sweet and I'm having fun. Being married but with no kids keeps expenses down as well. As I get bored easily, I'm still working as a consultant...but I keep my prices high so I don't have to do very much. I end up working about a week a month which is just about right. Do I worry? Sure - a bank balance can't fill all the holes in one's psyche! But taking a conservative approach and being grateful for all the good discussions from people like you helps a lot.

Welcome, and and it's always nice to be in a position where working is voluntary.

Welcome. Yeah, that's kind of a hard way to go out, but at least you got a nice package (that's what she said). You're maintaining a little income stream, too, which is good. Enjoy your freedom.

I like how you're getting a week a month. There was a time when I was an independent consultant, but I could not get work very easily in my specialization. Either that, or I wasn't marketing myself right, hehe. But having the ability to turn up and down the knob on income is awesome! So many on this board sweat the decision to pull the plug with the megacorp because once they do, they figure (rightly or wrongly), the next job, if they need it, will be a greeter at megalamart (I exagerate!!).

Back
Top Bottom