Dont expect Federal Govt to release anymore state premium prices on exchanges early.

Mulligan

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
If you are one of the many states who are letting the federal government run the exchange that have not released premium costs, don't hold your breath waiting for an early release. It appears they are going to go silent until Oct. 1.

"Because of the state variations, residents of Illinois and other states that have not announced policy costs or the lineup of insurers offering coverage cannot use the figures that have been released for other exchanges as a rough estimate. The transcript of Tuesday conference call, obtained by the Associated Press, showed that federal officials repeatedly told interested parties — including Illinois health centers, insurance brokers, and community groups receiving federal funds to help with outreach — that they would not have any more information about policies and pricing until the online insurance marketplaces open on October 1."

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/in-the-case-of-obamacare-no-news-isnt-good-news.html/?ref=YF

I believe that Louisiana is one of those states, since we are not setting up our own exchanges. Thanks for the information.

I guess people who need to rely on the exchanges (not me, but some who are dear to me) will have to just cool their heels until Oct 1. Then they need to decide quickly and sign up for one of them.

It must be awfully tough to not even know what to budget for.

What is the purpose of the Kaiser calculator where one enters 2014 income, age, number of individuals and it provides the premium, subsidy and the amount one must pay?
Is that not a good number in all states?

What is the purpose of the Kaiser calculator where one enters 2014 income, age, number of individuals and it provides the premium, subsidy and the amount one must pay?
Is that not a good number in all states?

It is just a guesstimator. State premiums are all different not only state to state, but region to region inside state. And we haven't even discussed difference in network accessibilities within these states.

For example: Silver plan comparison of second highest available price and second lowest available price for a 40 year old: New York City $679 -$387 Baltimore $417 -$298
San Diego $328-$308 San Fran. $383- $373. Keep in mind these examples are non subsidized premiums.

I believe that Louisiana is one of those states, since we are not setting up our own exchanges. Thanks for the information.

I guess people who need to rely on the exchanges (not me, but some who are dear to me) will have to just cool their heels until Oct 1. Then they need to decide quickly and sign up for one of them.

It must be awfully tough to not even know what to budget for.

Got an email from them a day or so ago saying they were upgrading account services and login would be available again starting Oct 1.

Don't think there is any rush to decide, coverage starts Jan 1, and enrollment is open till Mar 31.

It is just a guesstimator. State premiums are all different not only state to state, but region to region inside state. And we haven't even discussed difference in network accessibilities within these states.

For example: Silver plan comparison of second highest available price and second lowest available price for a 40 year old: New York City $679 -$387 Baltimore $417 -$298
San Diego $328-$308 San Fran. $383- $373. Keep in mind these examples are non subsidized premiums.

Is it known if percentage of the subsidy one must pay is accurate?

Ex. A 60 year old with a $20000 projected income or 174% of the poverty level may be required to pay 5 to 6 percent of the total premium regardless of how much it may be in any state?

Got an email from them a day or so ago saying they were upgrading account services and login would be available again starting Oct 1.

Don't think there is any rush to decide, coverage starts Jan 1, and enrollment is open till Mar 31.

That's good to know! Thanks

Is it known if percentage of the subsidy one must pay is accurate?

Ex. A 60 year old with a $20000 projected income or 174% of the poverty level may be required to pay 5 to 6 percent of the total premium regardless of how much it may be in any state?

I think the percentages are the same no matter what state it is, so it would just be the percentage of the premium cost. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will read this and confirm or deny but I thought the poverty level calculations are set in stone so that part of the calculator one would assume to be accurate.

I think the percentages are the same no matter what state it is, so it would just be the percentage of the premium cost.

I thought the subsidy was setup so that the final amount you have to pay is a percentage of your income. Therefore no matter what state you are in, your insurance cost for the silver plan should be the same (if you are subsidized).

I thought the subsidy was setup so that the final amount you have to pay is a percentage of your income. Therefore no matter what state you are in, your insurance cost for the silver plan should be the same (if you are subsidized).

You may well be right. That part I am not as familiar with because I am completely locked out of the subsidy. I know there are people on here that do know for sure. Hopefully they will respond.

That is how I understand it.

Mulligan, thanks for the link. Having the pricing info next week or so would be nice, but I've never counted on it. If I can get it all by mid-November it will still be the earliest we ever have been able to sign up for next year's rates.

Last edited:

That is how I understand it.
Ditto. Here's the actual IRC section for those interested:
26 USC § 36B - Refundable credit for coverage under a qualified health plan | Title 26 - Internal Revenue Code | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

Back
Top Bottom