Super Saver Competition

RetireAge50

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Net Worth/lLifetime Earnings

Ours is 58% (which I'm sure is low for this group)

Anyone over 100%

I suspect many who have been seriously saving and investing for a few decades will likely be over 100% via the magic of compounding.

How did you estimate your lifetime earnings?
I used my SS/Medicare records. I have well over 100% of my lifetime earnings, even after an expensive divorce. I have always used this metric as a measure of frugality and reasonably steady investment performance.

Ha

I am at 80% based on Medicare earnings. Since I am not quite 40 years old yet, the magic of compounding has only had a limited effect.

Just curious -- are these earning numbers in constant dollars?

I have no idea how much I earned. I'm more interested in "am I OK now?". I think so, so that's good.

Paltry 70% here at age 53 (measured in nominal dollars) not counting real estate equity or equivalent annuity value of pension. Counting those it's around 110%.

Just refigured mine using actual earnings from social security statement (Medicare column). Good idea. Now at 68%

No adjustments for inflation.

Just curious -- are these earning numbers in constant dollars?
And do I discount assets in IRAs that haven't been taxed yet? Should I attach a value to health care paid for by my employer? Can I put a cash value on pension and future SS benefits? How about future Medicare benefits? :confused:

I'm around 64% at 34 years old, but that's off gross not medicare since that is what I have in my spreadsheet.

And do I discount assets in IRAs that haven't been taxed yet? Should I attach a value to health care paid for by my employer? Can I put a cash value on pension and future SS benefits? How about future Medicare benefits? :confused:

Well, it's kind of a meaningless exercise if you don't account for inflation, especially if you have a long earning history.

If we are counting pensions as part of net worth then we are around 170%.

Last edited:
About 55% here. I am only counting earned income, not investment gains nor cap gains on home sales and the like.

Ooo! Oo! If we are only talking earned income then the reliance on rental income for decades skews things way in our favor in this game. Of course, if we don't get to include real estate in net worth then our numbers aren't as good.

Only 32%. Spent a lot more than I thought. Most of the savings done during the higher earning years to make up for the earlier ones.

We are at 102%. Liquid NW only. I have never heard of this metric before, interesting way to think of things. I turned 39 this month and DW is 36.

Net Worth is nice to look at, but I like to pay more attention to the income generated by my investments.

Well, it's kind of a meaningless exercise [-]if you don't account for inflation, especially if you have a long earning history.[/-]
Fixed it for you. :LOL:

Not adjusting for inflation and not counting the value of my apartment or any personal possessions (just counting my investment portfolio, taxable and IRA), my ratio is about 108%. I agree with gomo's comments.

Back
Top Bottom