What's Your Least Favorite Beatles Song?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Heresy I know, but inspired by the other thread.

The Beatles are my all time favorite band (130 songs on my iPad & I own every album on CD), but I was never crazy about Hey Jude, and it's been so overplayed I don't care if I ever hear it again. Yesterday and Michelle aren't far behind in my book. YMMV

Not that they aren't great songs, most just overplayed IMO (Stairway To Heaven is non-Beatles example that comes to mind - masterpiece, that I enjoyed for the first 10,000 plays...that's enough).

Last edited:
"Why Don't We Do It In The Road" (not sure if this is the title or just the refrain). Next would be "They Say It's Your Birthday".

I predict the consensus will be "Revolution No. 9". Not going out on a limb I know. But my personal choice would be "Til There Was You". Always reminds me of the movie "10", and the scene where the priest plays his song for Dudley Moore.

I predict the consensus will be "Revolution No. 9". Not going out on a limb I know.
Good call, I forgot about that one, don't think I've ever even listened to it all the way through.

Yesterday. The first time I heard it I did not particularly care for it. and the string section still is too sickly sweet for me. Plus, all of the mostly lousy renditions done by the 3700 artists that make it the most covered song ever. It's ubiquitous.

Easy pick for me, much easier than most fav:

Birthday (edit - missed it in post #2)

yuck, patoooiiee!!!!!

The guys in the garage band I played in in HS insisted we play this, I guess it is a 'party favorite'. I just hated it, inane lyrics, stupidly simple chord progression with no musical interest at all.

They say it's your birthday
Well, it's my birthday too, yeah
They say it's your birthday
We're gonna have a good time
I'm glad it's your birthday
Happy birthday to you

:facepalm:

At least we'd follow up with "Hootchie Cootchie Man" and "Communication Breakdown" to wash the saccharin taste form my mouth.

As far as Hey Jude and Yesterday, yes, they are certainly overplayed and our minds get turned off to them, but if you can manage to go a year w/o hearing them, and give them a fresh listen with an open mind - they are really very good songs, IMO.

-ERD50

At least we'd follow up with "Hootchie Cootchie Man" and "Communication Breakdown" to wash the saccharin taste form my mouth.

-ERD50

Good medicine! Not many vocalists could do Robert Plant, including, as the years went by, Robert Plant...

Always liked the Steppenwolf version of Hootchie Cootchie Man, with Michael Monarch on lead guitar.

steppenwolf - hoochie coochie man - YouTube

"Dear Prudence." Words seem to be about a woman who is loved and admired, but the melody sounds like somebody died.

Amethyst

I thought it was neat a few years ago when McCartney got on the roof at or across from the Sullivan Theater where he was taping Letterman, but then he sang "Get Back" and "Back in the USSR", two of my least favorite Beatles songs.

Good medicine! Not many vocalists could do Robert Plant, including, as the years went by, Robert Plant...

Always liked the Steppenwolf version of Hootchie Cootchie Man, with Michael Monarch on lead guitar.

Yep, we learned it from the Steppenwolf album. I think it was a few years before any of us suburban/rural middle-class white boys tracked down the Muddy Waters versions. To this day, I really can't take anyone other than Steppenwolf or Muddy performing that Willie Dixon classic - to my ears (heart? soul?), even Clapton sounds wimpy on that tune, though I think he performs a few miracles on the Cradle/Grave CD.

No, our vocals couldn't come into the same solar system as Plant, but our lead guitarist actually was super talented, and did a pretty impressive job on some of these tough songs.

OK, here's a Muddy clip, then I should let this thread go back to the Beatles....

Muddy Waters - Hoochie Coochie Man (1970) - YouTube

-ERD50

... and "Back in the USSR", two of my least favorite Beatles songs.

Oh c'mon, it at least deserves a whole bunch of points for working "balalaikas" into a pop song!

I'd have to put "USSR" into one of my top favs of the Beatles, gotta love they worked the Beach Boys sound into it.

Oh well, to each their own! [-]Enjoy![/-] Woops, I mean go ahead and dislike it!

-ERD50

"Blue Jay Way" from Magical Mystery Tour

Wild Honey Pie, although I can't imagine anything else leading into Bungalow Bill after hearing it that way for so long. My least favorite major Beatles song is probably Nowhere Man. Least favorite recording (doesn't qualify as a song) by a Beatle is John and Yoko from the Wedding Album. Least favorite song by a Beatle is Teddy Boy (McCartney).

Love the Beatles, but to me this is a much more interesting question than favorite Bealtes song.

#1 cringe-worthy:

#2 cringe-worthy:

#3 cringe-worthy:

'Back in the USSR' is definitely my favourite as a reply to the Beach Boys who I discovered and loved before The Beatles. Least favourite is pretty hard to pick!

Back
Top Bottom