California ACA Weirdness

Onward

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So I signed up for ACA via Covered California's website yesterday.

Part of the process is giving details of your 2013 income. You report your income in categories: earned, self-employment, dividends, cap gains, etc. It all gets totaled up and shown to you, and then that total is used to determine your subsidy.

Here's the weird part: the capital gains I reported was not counted at all towards the total. It had no effect at all.

Self-employment income and dividends did affect the total.

And sure enough, the subsidy I eventually got was based on my total income minus the capital gains I reported.

I checked and rechecked to make sure my cap gains were entered into the system and recorded. They were.

Anyone know what's going on here?

So I signed up for ACA via Covered California's website yesterday. Part of the process is giving details of your 2013 income. You report your income in categories: earned, self-employment, dividends, cap gains, etc. It all gets totaled up and shown to you, and then that total is used to determine your subsidy. Here's the weird part: the capital gains I reported was not counted at all towards the total. It had no effect at all. Self-employment income and dividends did affect the total. And sure enough, the subsidy I eventually got was based on my total income minus the capital gains I reported. I checked and rechecked to make sure my cap gains were entered into the system and recorded. They were. Anyone know what's going on here?

Sounds like a web glitch since Cap Gains are definitely included in the income calculation.

Back
Top Bottom