Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Athanasia - extraoperative electrocorticography (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/athanasia-extraoperative-electrocorticography-69175.html)

imoldernu 11-10-2013 05:45 PM

Athanasia - extraoperative electrocorticography
 
Life after FIRE... An Immodest Proposal

Last week, watched "The Bucket List", for the first time. The bittersweet ending left me searching for some kind of alternative, and after extensive study, have come up with a better alternative, that will be particularly atrtractive to those us who may be facing challenges in a relatively short time.

Ergo... am drawing up options to the unsated yearnings of near four score years. Options that are here and now, and not in a far off imaginative nirvana.

Instead of pain and suffering, a simple, non invasive (medicare-paid) low maintenance benefit to simplify and resolve the most egregious concerns of todays' goverment.. "How to make the declining years comfortable and monetarily acceptable. " or "Solving the Population and Environmental Challenges":wiseone:

electrocorticography

Simple maintenance of the physical brain (with or without the physical body) and advanced connections will allow the continuation of the cerebral processes, and extended stimulation of all of the physical senses, as well as the interaction with the cerebral cortex.

With the level of artificial intelligence already obtined, a simple means of attaining the ultimate dream of mankind.

Move over Johnathan Swift... :wiseone:

Ya got a better idea?

Meadbh 11-10-2013 06:28 PM

I don't get it. You are proposing to push up daisies Athanasia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia while having an intracranial EEG recorded Electrocorticography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ?

CoolChange 11-10-2013 06:52 PM

I think something along the lines of the Matrix or 2010's Repo Men is what is being suggested. Beats the current alternative; but, I'd still like some contact with reality...I think.

MRG 11-10-2013 06:53 PM

Jack Daniels?

MRG

M Paquette 11-10-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meadbh (Post 1377848)
I don't get it. You are proposing to push up daisies Athanasia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia while having an intracranial EEG recorded Electrocorticography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ?

Nah. He's talking about living large, enjoying that Mi-Go Brain Cylinder lifestyle.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...bc-d5cl1b2.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mi-go

Some bedtime reading:
http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary...indarkness.htm

Pleasant dreams, Night Vale, pleasant dreams!

Meadbh 11-10-2013 07:01 PM

Too weird! Definitely not the ultimate dream of this womankind. I'd rather base jump without a parachute, thank you very much (and I am afraid of heights). :nonono::nonono::nonono:

Bestwifeever 11-10-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imoldernu (Post 1377841)
...

Ya got a better idea?

Marijuana

bbbamI 11-10-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRG (Post 1377856)
Jack Daniels?

MRG

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestwifeever (Post 1377865)
Marijuana

...and chocolate chip cookies.

imoldernu 11-11-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M Paquette (Post 1377858)
Nah. He's talking about living large, enjoying that Mi-Go Brain Cylinder lifestyle.
Pleasant dreams, Night Vale, pleasant dreams!

Very close... Thank you for your expertise.:flowers:

Jack Daniels, Chocolate Chip cookies and (gasp) Marijuana... Well, yeah... similar results, but so short termed...

Matrix and Repo Men... In a way, but eliminate the physical being and physical existence and physical interaction, and add interactive self determined, self controlled total pleasure, infinite wisdom, physical sensory perception and exemption from anything negative.

...but you all have the right idea...
As the science of the brain proceeds with exponentially productive results, we're able to stimulate and interact... and yes, in most cases, to control not only the five senses but the deeper parts of the brain... imagination, creativity, storage, and even learning and logic. Think "Inceptiion".
In short, all of the best parts of life, without the downside of death.

A little bit like "Hal" but with a human component.

... so, given a choice... athanasia? or hemlock?

This is the kind of stuff that happens when I have too much time on my hands... Time to head back to Florida. "Cocoon"". :)

Live And Learn 11-11-2013 08:20 AM

I recently read a story about a 32 year old man, newly married and expecting a baby who fell from a tree while hunting, shattered 3 of his neck vertebra. They brought him out of a medically induced coma and told him and was told he would be paralyzed from the neck down for life. They then asked him if he wanted his life support turned off. He said yes, and died later that day.

My vision of heaven is that we are all points of light - no physical being. That is my ideal "brain without a body" and that would be my choice.

M Paquette 11-11-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imoldernu (Post 1377923)
Very close... Thank you for your expertise.:flowers:

The 'abstracted brain' concept has been around in fiction for a long time. I just thought you might get a kick out of seeing it referenced in a tale from over 80 years ago.

Quote:

As the science of the brain proceeds with exponentially productive results, we're able to stimulate and interact... and yes, in most cases, to control not only the five senses but the deeper parts of the brain... imagination, creativity, storage, and even learning and logic.
The pace at which direct brain-computer interfaces (BCI) and neuroprosthetics are being developed has picked up recently. This is a very promising area for assisting folks with failing bodies but fully functioning brains (and minds).

imoldernu 11-11-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M Paquette (Post 1378160)
The pace at which direct brain-computer interfaces (BCI) and neuroprosthetics are being developed has picked up recently. This is a very promising area for assisting folks with failing bodies but fully functioning brains (and minds).

Yes!...;)
We start with Stephen Hawking, and go on from there...
To one degree or another all 5 senses have been enervated... and the cerebral cortex mapped. If we can think it, it will happen.:dance:

haha 11-11-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imoldernu (Post 1378185)
Yes!...;)
We start with Stephen Hawking, and go on from there...
To one degree or another all 5 senses have been enervated... and the cerebral cortex mapped. If we can think it, it will happen.:dance:

I am confused. Do you really mean enervated? If so , it really sounds less and less attractive every time you tell more, and it started out at a pretty low level of attraction for me.


Enervate - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

imoldernu 11-12-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haha (Post 1378268)
I am confused. Do you really mean enervated? If so , it really sounds less and less attractive every time you tell more, and it started out at a pretty low level of attraction for me.


Enervate - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

OMG! :facepalm:

:dead:

Had temproarily put aside my first person treatise on AZ..., trying to ascribe the errors to typing mistakes brought on by the polyneuropathy...
Now I know better... :blush: You can only guess at how hurtful it is to realize that it's no longer a misstep, or an error born of haste... but now...
a time of acceptance... The pride in literacy is now gone...

I am reminded of my favorite, but saddest poem...

Quote:

On His Blindness

When I consider how my light is spent
Ere half my days in this dark world and wide,
And that one talent which is death to hide
Lodg'd with me useless, though my soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present
My true account, lest he returning chide,
"Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?"
I fondly ask. But Patience, to prevent
That murmur, soon replies: "God doth not need
Either man's work or his own gifts: who best
Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
Is kingly; thousands at his bidding speed
And post o'er land and ocean without rest:
They also serve who only stand and wait."
~John Milton
This too shall pass. Back to work on the treatise.:blush:

Jackanory 11-12-2013 11:44 AM

One of the very few books I didn't donate to the library earlier this year: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...5.Gray_Matters

The fact that it was first published by Playboy shouldn't deter potential readers!

"WWIII has devastated most of the world, but life is still good for the lucky & rich few hundred who had their brains preserved in an automated conservatory. Altho they have no bodies to move around with, they're free to mentally visit any of the other residents, & engage in all the emotional, intellectual & pseudo-sexual congress that they desire."

imoldernu 11-12-2013 12:16 PM

ooo...ooo...!!! Thanks :dance:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackanory (Post 1378495)
One of the very few books I didn't donate to the library earlier this year: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...5.Gray_Matters

The fact that it was first published by Playboy shouldn't deter potential readers!

"WWIII has devastated most of the world, but life is still good for the lucky & rich few hundred who had their brains preserved in an automated conservatory. Altho they have no bodies to move around with, they're free to mentally visit any of the other residents, & engage in all the emotional, intellectual & pseudo-sexual congress that they desire."

Despite finding myself late to the party, am excited to find a kindred spirit.

the rest of the excerpt:
Quote:

This is the story of a projection of life in the 25th century. People have been reduced to Cerebromorphs--disembodied brains stored in tanks in huge Depositories & wired up to computers, memory files & mammoth study programmes. In the tanks they're supposed to pass thru various levels of understanding before they are liberated, implanted in hatchery-nurtured perfect bodies & sent back into a pastoral paradise flourishing outside. The novel follows a small group of these brains: that of a 12-year-old boy killed in an air crash; an ex-movie queen, fastidious, rich & lethal; a former Nigerian sculptor & the last of the great humanists.
Hadn't thought about adding scientology to the package, but a nice touch...
Now, as to other possibilities... I considered cryogenics, though I don't think that will work... Gotta have a "live one"....

We have to something about pollution, though, if the pastoral paradise thingy is going to work.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.