Ford Pension Plan/Spousal Social Security Question

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a married friend who took early retirement from Ford Motor Company. He was an hourly employee and took a type of annuity where he gets a set amount of $3000 a month. If he dies before his wife, she gets the same amount until she would die. He is required to notify social security when he turns 62, even though he will not be getting any social security because it is a component calculated into his annuity. The question I have concerns his wife as it pertains to spousal social security. She has never worked and would she be entitled to any spousal social security when she turns 62 ? I know that if she would it would be reduced because of taking it before FRA. But the real question is if she would be eligible at all or would it depend on how the annuity contract is written.

Appreciate any and all replies in advance.

Your question is independent of the Ford pension. Ford gives you a pre- SS eligibility supplement to the regular pension which is dropped when you reach 62. Whether one decides to take SS at 62 is up to them.

[Edited because I misunderstood the original question]

The Ford pension is irrelevant to the SS issue. Some government pensions would affect SS eligibility and payment amounts but not private sector pension plans.

Even if she never had earnings, while he's alive she would still be eligible to receive her own SS payment that's half of his benefit at full retirement age (less if taken earlier). And if he predeceases her, she would "inherit" his higher benefit, but lose her own.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom