Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Other topics (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/)
-   -   Are you going in for the Black Friday shopping mania? (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/are-you-going-in-for-the-black-friday-shopping-mania-69458.html)

bondi688 11-29-2013 11:55 AM

Are you going in for the Black Friday shopping mania?

Did you get anything? Did you get any bargain?

Overall, I found there are less enticing sale this year. I did not stop at the local mall when I drove by and saw the throng of people there.

Walt34 11-29-2013 11:56 AM

Heavens, no. We wouldn't think of going anywhere near a mall today.

MichaelB 11-29-2013 12:11 PM

No. Nein. Нет. Não. Ag. Non. Nei.

The same word in 100 other languages. just in case, here

audreyh1 11-29-2013 12:28 PM

Somehow I don't think you are going to find INTJs and INTPs rushing out to shop with the crowds on Black Friday.

Clearly some people enjoy the experience - otherwise there wouldn't be such crowds.

ER types are more likely to sit home and peruse the Internet for Black Friday deals. That's what DH has been doing.

W2R 11-29-2013 12:33 PM

I have been browsing the Amazon Black Friday deals. Oddly, I do not seem to want any of that stuff at any price.

No, I never go in person to fight the crowds at Black Friday sales.

travelover 11-29-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 1385150)
....... Oddly, I do not seem to want any of that stuff at any price...........

+ 1. Being retired, I no longer need to assuage my stress with junk I don't really need, even at a bargain price.

Calico 11-29-2013 01:14 PM

Never have, never will. I would rather stick pins in my eyes.

Enjoying a quiet day at home with the cats, my iPad, and some DVDs on tap for later this afternoon. There is not a single thing on earth I need to buy.

gardenfun 11-29-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calico (Post 1385157)
Never have, never will. I would rather stick pins in my eyes.

Enjoying a quiet day at home with the cats, my iPad, and some DVDs on tap for later this afternoon. There is not a single thing on earth I need to buy.

Well said, Calico. My sentiments exactly. :)

panacea 11-29-2013 01:53 PM

I never venture out on Black Friday, but I do find myself surfing for sales. Found a couple bargains that were worth buying on Amazon... also discovered I could get a really good deal on my favorite dress shirts that are normally way too expensive at Jos A Bank. I was fully prepared to find the same old sale but they actually had some unusually good prices.

frayne 11-29-2013 02:13 PM

I avoid the malls like a plague between Black Friday and Jan.1.

daylatedollarshort 11-29-2013 02:14 PM

The kids bought some deeply discounted clothes on sale at the outlet mall last night. They like to try stuff on so they don't usually get clothes online.

Today I am looking for Black Friday sign on bonuses online. So far I've got Capital One - $200 per family member for both checking and savings accounts, and $150 from Share Builder per family member for a trade account, plus referral bonuses. (There are some debit card and trade minimums, too.)

I think this is a better ROI. Spend nothing and make $1K+ for a few hours total work, including the minimum trades and debit card transactions.

bondi688 11-29-2013 02:20 PM

The reason I drove by the mall was I was going to the bank (Chase) to take advantage of its Black Friday special, where you get a bonus for new deposit, but it was nowhere nearly as good as the one that daylatedollarshort got from Capital One.

Animorph 11-29-2013 02:27 PM

We were brave this year, since we're visiting DS, and went to a movie for Black Friday. It was a little crowded getting in and out of the parking lot, but not too bad at the theater. No shopping.

daylatedollarshort 11-29-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bondi688 (Post 1385179)
The reason I drove by the mall was I was going to the bank (Chase) to take advantage of its Black Friday special, where you get a bonus for new deposit, but it was nowhere nearly as good as the one that daylatedollarshort got from Capital One.

We did a Chase bonus a month or so ago. $125 just for opening a savings account but that was one per household. The Capital one rep told me we could open one account per person for their offers. I haven't got the Capital One & Sharebuilder ones yet so we'll see if that is true. This is my afternoon project. We have all received signon bonuses like this at other institutions that were one per person so I am hoping the rep was correct.

One of the kids has a focus group this week, too, making $50 an hour to play video games.

It adds up to some nice little extra Christmas money.

gcgang 11-29-2013 02:52 PM

My 12 year old daughter and her friends went at 3:30 this morning! I think Black Friday is a marketing gimmick aimed at the young and foolish. It's a fun "happening", to use an old word, for her.

Nodak 11-29-2013 03:11 PM

Not a chance in hell.

KM 11-29-2013 03:30 PM

:blush: OK - I will confess.....I went out this year. I stopped going years ago when it turned into mayhem. That and our Xmas lists have gone down over the years...

We decided to get our DD and SIL an Ipad Air for Xmas this year. We had also decided to get one for ourselves for Xmas. Target -opening at 8pm - was offering $100 GC with the purchase of one. So we got there about the time they opened (I don't stand outside in the cold for anything), walked to the end of this ridiculous line and followed the crowd in (DH "moo"-ing like a cow the whole time....that got a few chuckles). Once inside we had to get into a second line to get anything from electronics. Almost left at that point, but agreed if we went home, I would sit, eat and watch TV....and he would probably go to bed. So instead, I got my exercise in by walking circles around the store for 90 minutes, talked to some old friends I saw....meanwhile DH chatted with everyone in line. We finally got our 2 Ipads at a total cost savings of $230. So 2 hours of our time saved us $230, I got some exercise, saw some old friends, DH met some nice people. Everyone in line was really pretty low-key and pleasant.

Today I ran down to the local Dick's Sporting Goods to get a jacket on sale for my son. There was plenty of parking spaces and the store was not crowded at all. I was kinda surprised.

I probably wont go out for Black Friday for another 8-10 years, but we actually enjoyed the trip last night and today was a non-event.

Disclaimer - I don't like in a big city area. We have < 100,000 people total in the 4 cities in the area. Pretty sure it is different in the more "metro" areas.

Badger 11-29-2013 04:23 PM

I already have my wife's present so there is no need to fight the crowds. I wouldn't do it anyway. I won't even watch the news on TV to see the bad behavior of some folks.

My wife and I had our Thanksgiving turkey yesterday. So today I enjoyed spending time with my wife, daughter and her family and had a nice post Thanksgiving Day dinner of Prime Rib at home. I thought my wife should not have to spend all day in the kitchen so I cooked both days as a gift to her.

More fun than fighting crowds.

Cheers!

foxfirev5 11-29-2013 04:30 PM

Nope. DW already did the shopping for the kids/Grandkids. We long ago satisfied our needs.

Bestwifeever 11-29-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KM (Post 1385203)
.... We decided to get our DD and SIL an Ipad Air for Xmas this year. We had also decided to get one for ourselves for Xmas. Target -opening at 8pm - was offering $100 GC with the purchase of one. .... We finally got our 2 Ipads at a total cost savings of $230. ...Today I ran down to the local Dick's Sporting Goods...

So funny--I ordered two on line from Apple today, for a total of $150 in bonus gift cards for the two; we live in a much more populous area than your <100,000 and I did not want to go near a store, Then DH went to Dick's Sporting Goods (to exchange a birthday present that needed to be ordered). Although it was quite busy, he asked a floor clerk if he had to stand in the long line for an exchange and the guy took care of it himself right away. Let me know where else you are shopping so I can coordinate our purchases :)