Took the buyout

Mr._Graybeard

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi folks, I'm a semi-retired newspaper journalist, and the semi-retirement came on fast.

I was working on the copy desk with no particular plan to do anything else for the next few years. Then the company brought in a new obnoxious software system, and after a few months, offered an attractive severance deal. At that point, I'd had enough. I bailed in July.

I'll be 60 in January, so it's not an unusually early retirement. Plans include travel, a little freelance writing and pursuit of my old-car hobby (Mercedes and BMW).

Welcome aboard, Mr._G. You're in good company here.

omni

Congratulations and welcome! An old car buff myself. Love the BMWs. You will enjoy this forum. Good luck. --Nomad

Thanks, all. It's nice that people take the time to say hi.

Greetings, from someone who was accepted to an undergrad journalism program before getting caught in the IT whirlpool -er, profession. I agree with others, there's plenty of good info exchanged here.

Congrats! If you haven't already figured it out, there are a wealth of resources on this forum!

Greetings, from someone who was accepted to an undergrad journalism program before getting caught in the IT whirlpool -er, profession. I agree with others, there's plenty of good info exchanged here.

Tree, a lot of people in print journalism have been circling the drain in recent years -- it's a vortex out there! My newspaper has fared better than most in the downturn, thanks to loyal readers.

My former employer: Milwaukee and Wisconsin News, Sports, Weather, Business, Opinion, Investigative Reporting | Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Hi folks, I'm a semi-retired newspaper journalist, and the semi-retirement came on fast.

I was working on the copy desk with no particular plan to do anything else for the next few years. Then the company brought in a new obnoxious software system, and after a few months, offered an attractive severance deal. At that point, I'd had enough. I bailed in July.

I'll be 60 in January, so it's not an unusually early retirement. Plans include travel, a little freelance writing and pursuit of my old-car hobby (Mercedes and BMW).

Welcome aboard. I exited in a similar fashion turning 60 this month. Enjoy everything!:dance:

Back
Top Bottom