I Confess, I Watched "The Sound of Music Live"

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was flipping channels last night and when came across NBC, did catch most of "The Sound Of Music - Live".

My take, I did enjoy it.

I haven't really followed Carrie Underwood much but I think she did a pretty good job (some are ripping her performance via Twitter...but that's the snarky world these days :LOL:)

But now I keep on hearing those songs in my head :blush:

I DVRd it and watched the first song Carrie did and then went on to other things since DW had already gone to bed and we wanted to watch it together.

I am a Carrie fan and think she is a much hotter Maria (though I still couldn't get used to her hair being up).

I want to reserve judgement, but based on just that one song I saw, I thought the original movie with Julie Andrews was a better vocal...but, there is a huge advantage doing a movie versus doing a live play so I think that may be part of the difference and the fact that is it being compared to a true classic that everyone knows and loves so it is an impossibly high bar for a live play to get over.

I have seen the Sound of Music on Broadway and that play didn't live up to the movie either.

I'm not sure if this is Carrie's best genre, but I give her a lot of credit for having the courage to try it.

I watched it too, and loved it.

I didn't know that Carrie Underwood could act! I have loved her singing ever since I first heard her, on American Idol.

We watched pieces/parts of it. I was surprised to find that DW knew almost every word of every song. We both saw/heard it dozens of times growing up, but weren't together then. It was a bittersweet memory - innocent times, that I doubt we'll ever see again...

I watched it too. I'm not a big Carrie Underwood fan but I think she did fine. I agree that Julie Andrews set a very high bar, and a live production provides no opportunity for retakes, not to mention being physically demanding. I though the Mother Superior (Audra McDonald) was an upgrade. Rolf looked a bit old to me, not quite the mostly innocent lad swept up in the Nazi movement. Wasn't sure about Capt Von Trapp early on but he seemed better as it went on. The kids all did well. Overall I enjoyed the movie a lot more but this was fun to watch too.

I watched it too, and loved it.

I didn't know that Carrie Underwood could act! I have loved her singing ever since I first heard her, on American Idol.

+1

I was in a junior high school version of the play (I was Brigitta). DH thought it was so cute when he walked into the LR to find tears slowly rolling down my cheeks at the music. I'm such a dork - my eyes are welling up just thinking about the show.

I'm impressed that they did it live. I saw some of the set on daytime shows earlier in the day. I'd love to see a "behind the scenes" documentary on the set and what rehearsals were like.

I'm not sure if this is Carrie's best genre, but I give her a lot of credit for having the courage to try it.
Yes, it was truly gutsy and I thought she did very well.
There was something not quite right about the audio as we watched it, an annoying low background hum.
We watched some of it, but flipped back and forth to other shows. I confess that the appeal of a live presentation of this type eludes me. It has all the limitations of a stage show, but not the "electricity" of being there. I guess, simpleton that I am, that I'm happier with seeing the "best" takes, the trickier camera angle, the redubbed and remixed soundtrack, and the more varied sets that a "traditional" movie musical affords.

Watching a high-wire act without a net is nerve-wracking. I think the performance was just fine, but maybe a bit of a one-off stunt.

+1 I didn't see it being live as a good thing and think they could have done something much better as a recorded made for TV movie. Live was a bit of a gimmick IMO.

DW kept flipping to it from the football game, so I got to see parts of it in an annoying sort of way. clearly was a stage play, and clearly could have used a stronger voice in the part played by underwood.

Not a big Underwood fan, but I was surprised at her vocal ability and think she did a credible acting job. I enjoyed the show. No point in comparing apples to oranges.

When I was a teen, I worked in a movie theater that featured the Sound of Music, and probably watched the movie more than 50X. We watched last night and enjoyed Carrie's performance. Also, that head nun is on one of the Dr shows and we were surprised at her operatic voice.

Sorry--me no likee. We did the stage performance in high school when I was a senior (played in the orchestra), and I felt ours was just about as good. I guess there are some things you just don't want to try and replicate---And going up against the original 'Sound of Music' movie with a live TV presentation is one of them. Thought the singing was O.K. but the acting, presentation, etc., couldn't hold a candle to the original.

Finally viewed it tonight. Enjoyed it. Comparing it to the classic movie is like comparing apples and oranges as there is so much advantage of a movie compared to a live play.

I did notice that Carrie seemed to my eye to take a half of a slip in her first number as she was walking down the "hill" but she carried on without skipping a beat. (pun intended).

Finally viewed it tonight. Enjoyed it. Comparing it to the classic movie is like comparing apples and oranges as there is so much advantage of a movie compared to a live play.

True, so to compare apples to apples I have to reach back to my childhood and Peter Pan with Mary Martin. That one kicked @ss. This one was meh. She's a good singer, but not much of an actress. There was no chemistry between her and the vampire, and I just never got involved. I have no problem with the fact that they did it, but I don't think it's going to be "the next big thing".

True, so to compare apples to apples I have to reach back to my childhood and Peter Pan with Mary Martin. That one kicked @ss. This one was meh. She's a good singer, but not much of an actress. There was no chemistry between her and the vampire, and I just never got involved. I have no problem with the fact that they did it, but I don't think it's going to be "the next big thing".

Who knew Captain Von Trapp was a vampire? It explains a couple things from the move!!

Back
Top Bottom