COBRA frustration

MRG

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Been on COBRA since 5/1/13. Used insurance successfully several times. I've recently had severe dizzyness, tryed meclizine and standard treatments.

So today I go to normal Dr. he is a little concerned, orders CT with contrast and referred me to a neurologist. Suggests lets get the CT ASAP, call neurologist in AM to schedule an appointment. There's a testing facility downstairs, he suggested them(good price). As part of their insurance check I'm informed my insurance was canceled on 11/30/13. Huh, we paid that. Call insurance, they agree insurance was dropped 11/30/13. They continued checking and can see I made the December payment on 11/26.

So the insurance calls the COBRA company. 'Their sorry but due to inclimate weather were unable to assist today'. Have they no business continuity plan?

I'll have the CT tomorrow, even if it's out of pocket. And I thought ACA signup was a PIA.

MRG

Been on COBRA since 5/1/13. Used insurance successfully several times. I've recently had severe dizzyness, tryed meclizine and standard treatments.

So today I go to normal Dr. he is a little concerned, orders CT with contrast and referred me to a neurologist. Suggests lets get the CT ASAP, call neurologist in AM to schedule an appointment. There's a testing facility downstairs, he suggested them(good price). As part of their insurance check I'm informed my insurance was canceled on 11/30/13. Huh, we paid that. Call insurance, they agree insurance was dropped 11/30/13. They continued checking and can see I made the December payment on 11/26.

So the insurance calls the COBRA company. 'Their sorry but due to inclimate weather were unable to assist today'. Have they no business continuity plan?

I'll have the CT tomorrow, even if it's out of pocket. And I thought ACA signup was a PIA.

MRG
That's tough. Go get the CT scan. As long as you've paid and the original employer policy is active you can't lose the Cobra coverage. Good luck on the tests.

MRG, I am so sorry to hear this. Insurance problems are just what you don't need when you are going through a medical problem. I hope this all gets resolved quickly.

I too am on COBRA, so far no problems. They take it out of my checking account monthly.

I have had my share of vertigo problems, I feel for you on this.

Best of luck to you and please keep us posted.

-helen

So sad to hear about your troubles. I would follow doc's plan & get the CT scan. Agree with Michael B that your COBRA continuation should get worked out. If you've been on COBRA since May without any issues, sounds like your last payment just did not get posted properly. BTW, COBRA includes a 30d Grace Period for premium payment. Page 22 of this booklet may help-

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/pdf/cobraemployee.pdf

Hope all turns out well for you !

When we were on COBRA, we were told just about every month, more often than not, that our medical and dental insurance had been cancelled, even though I purposely had the payments paid 2 months in advance.

In the end we got everything covered, but it was a time consuming and unpleasant experience. It felt like almost having a full time job just trying to keep our insurance active. Between the former employer, the COBRA company and the insurance company, each one would just point the finger at the other. What helped was talking to a supervisor at the insurance company and doing a third party call to the COBRA company.

Sorry to hear about the COBRA issue and the dizziness. If you have your proof of payment you should be okay on the insurance front.

COBRA got fixed. I validated with insurance. Then asked about test prerequisites and network. All was good to go.

The facility I went to couldn't figure out how to verify. After a couple of hours waiting, I asked what could I do to get by their issues. Finally they gave me a form, accepting financial responsibility. I'd already signed one, so who cares.

It's said, the id10ts who's only job is to watch the process, but add no value to fixing real issues is silly. We wonder about the cost of heathcare, quit adding people to watch. If not, you need more people to watch the watchers.

Thanks to all that have shared their experience.
MRG

Back
Top Bottom