Dogfight: How Apple & Google went to war and started a revolution

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just finished the book this afternoon, and found it very interesting. The book starts from 2007 (iPhone rollout) and on to present ending with convergence (tech & media) and the author's subtle prediction on who will win (not Apple).

You have to acknowledge how incredibly fast the integration of mobile devices into most peoples daily lives has been, and continues. PC's took far longer by comparison.

The book will undoubtedly be TMI for some, so here's the accompanying article for Cliff Notes fans.
Apple vs Google: Did Apple Learn Anything From Its War With Microsoft? | Wired Opinion | Wired.com

Platform wars tend to be winner-take-all contests. If Apple’s and Google’s mobile platforms somehow harmoniously coexist, it will be a historical aberration.
Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook and others are mentioned, but not central to this book.

Attachments

• MACSIP_BOOKS_COVER05.jpg
    MACSIP_BOOKS_COVER05.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
The article was an interesting read, I may follow up with the book.

Not sure I agree it is an all or nothing fight. We have plenty of mature industries with competition. Lots of different companies providing cars, TVs, refrigerators, etc. I think OSX, IOS, Android, Google, Linux and whatever comes along can all co-exist. The key is keeping the content transferable (and that happens most of the time), and apps available on all the platforms (pretty common) and enough different hardware that can run it all.

-ERD50

Apple has rarely gone for the cheaper part of the markets it's in. I remember Jobs saying they did not know how to build a notebook computer that wasn't junk. With that attitude it seems obvious that somebody else will capture the majority if the market with few exceptions like the iPod.

FWIW, I find
D the quality and security of Apple products offsets much of the extra cost. But if you don't have $1000 for a laptop, you can't get an Apple.

Not sure I agree it is an all or nothing fight. We have plenty of mature industries with competition. Lots of different companies providing cars, TVs, refrigerators, etc. I think OSX, IOS, Android, Google, Linux and whatever comes along can all co-exist. The key is keeping the content transferable (and that happens most of the time), and apps available on all the platforms (pretty common) and enough different hardware that can run it all.
History would suggest you're probably right on how this will ultimately play out, I hope so...

...but we're still somewhat in the VHS vs Beta stage with Apple and Google. People have a lot invested in iOS vs Google vs Amazon vs other right now in terms of music, movies, apps, etc. and associated hardware. Android and later Samsung have overtaken the iPhone, but we'll see if Apple can provide insanely great products without Steve Jobs. For now, there will have to be some losers before we get to a standard all are forced to adopt it would seem.

Other than a large iTunes music library (most ripped from CDs I own), I've been hesitant to buy much digital media (ie, books, movies, apps) for fear I'd have to buy it all again in 5 years.

Last edited:
I love the fact these mostly US companies are dominant and yet are continuously pushing the envelope. I want them to keep trading places to be #1 so I can be the winner ... me getting more for less. It's a quite a race and I'm going to be in front, not the tech companies I used to work for. :dance:

...a peculiarly bad attitude. ;)

Back
Top Bottom